Work Flow Changes/Idea

Options
canoe
canoe
Community Member

Hi,

I recently moved from v6 to v7. One difference I notice is that in v6 when I entered my Master Password either in the 1P application or via the browser (Firefox) extension, 1P recognized that fact and didn't prompt me to re-enter the MP when I would subsequently use either the app or the browser extension. I found this to be very useful as sometimes I would be using 1P via the browser extension and realize I needed to make changes to more than a single Item and I could open the app without re-entering the MP. Am I mistaken that this ability is no longer available with v7?

Second question/suggestion, when using 1P on my iPhone, I frequently open the app and enter the MP prior to undertaking the tasks I need to accomplish via the browser or installed "task" apps, such as banking or hotel apps, etc. Sometimes the task app will tell me its 1P ready to autofill the logon ID and PW. Great! Or, so I think, when I click the option to autofill I'm taken back to the 1P app and prompted to enter, despite the fact that I had previously unlocked 1P, my MP. It takes me longer to re-enter the MP than it does to say no, don't autofill, toggle over to the 1P app, copy my logon ID, toggle back to the task app, paste logon ID, then toggle over to the 1P app get the PW, toggle back to task app and paste.

In both of these situations, I have already authenticated into 1P with my MP. I don't see why I should have to do so more than once. (Note, I'm not talking about a 1P session timing out and autolocking due to inactivity.)

If there is some setting that I'm missing in v7 to address this, please let me know. Otherwise, please consider allowing this work flow, at least as an option if not by default.

Thanks so much.

Sincerely,

-md

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @canoe!

I recently moved from v6 to v7. One difference I notice is that in v6 when I entered my Master Password either in the 1P application or via the browser (Firefox) extension, 1P recognized that fact and didn't prompt me to re-enter the MP when I would subsequently use either the app or the browser extension.

What version of the 1Password extension are you using? From what you are writing, it sounds like you might have installed 1Password X in your browser (which is our independent extension that does not communicate with the desktop app). This would explain why you have to unlock the desktop app and the browser extension separately.

Or, so I think, when I click the option to autofill I'm taken back to the 1P app and prompted to enter, despite the fact that I had previously unlocked 1P, my MP.

On iOS, do you have Touch ID or Face ID enabled in 1Password? If, as you say, you unlocked the iOS app with your Master Password at least once, when you use 1Password to fill your credentials, you should only be prompted for Touch ID or Face ID.

In both of these situations, I have already authenticated into 1P with my MP. I don't see why I should have to do so more than once.

It sounds like you have 1Password configured to lock on exit on your iOS device. Is that setting enabled inside the 1Password app > Settings > Security?

• canoe
    canoe
    Community Member
    Options

Wow! You've done it again! Problems solved.

Yes, I had "X" installed in the browser.
    No, I didn't have TouchID enabled.

But.... :)
    With v4.7.5.90 browser extension installed. I seem to have lost having 1P recognize the webpage and suggest to autofill the ID/PW fields by offering that suggestion in the Id/PW field. Did I switch something off or doesn't the v4.7.5.90 browser extension do this like the "X" version did?

Also, a small thing, but the "X" version allowed me to select from two different icons to display in my browser's toolbar. They differed in color. I found this to be quite useful as picking the "blue" icon made it easier to distinguish from other icons when I needed to select it.

Sincerely,

-m

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@canoe:

I am glad I could help :)

Did I switch something off or doesn't the v4.7.5.90 browser extension do this like the "X" version did?

1Password X works differently: as you said, it shows you the suggested logins directly within the form, which is something that the companion browser extension does not do.

If you feel adventurous however, there is a way to enable Touch ID in 1Password X, so you can have the best of both worlds. However, this requires you to use the beta of both the 1Password for Mac app and the 1Password X browser extension. Is this something you would like to try? I can point you to the documentation to enable the feature, but I figured I would ask first since not everyone likes running the betas :)

• canoe
    canoe
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, but, I'm not a beta guy. ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Understood :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.