What is the intended behavior of "Never suggest in browser"?

Options
mitchdesign
mitchdesign
Community Member
edited July 2020 in Mac

For certain websites we have shared test accounts and also personal test accounts. To make things quicker, I thought I would set the shared account to "Display: Never suggest in browser" (in the edit window of that item). This works in that I can now automatically log in to the site using the general keyboard shortcut. But, sometimes I also need to use the other password. And that one is now completely hidden from the 1Password Mini window. I must start the "real" 1Password app to look for it. Maybe the logic just does not fit my mental model, but I would expect the main app and mini app to behave the same way when it comes to finding the items. For instance hide items from search in vaults that I marked to be excluded from searching 'all vaults', and also with regard to searching items when i enter a search term.

I can understand that when I press the shortcut, if there is one item matching the current website, it will autofill. If there are multiple, it will show the mini-app popup. So in that way, 'do not suggest' links to not being visible in this use case. But when I show my intent by typing a search query, that should show me all items right? (except what I may have excluded from 'all vaults' if I am searching all vaults).

Can you explain the rationale of hiding items even from searches? Or maybe I've found a bug (with my expected behavior in mind it does feel like it)?

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.15.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mitchdesign!

Can you explain the rationale of hiding items even from searches? Or maybe I've found a bug (with my expected behavior in mind it does feel like it)?

I think that, for what you are trying to do, using a separate vault might be a better solution. You wrote:

For certain websites we have shared test accounts and also personal test accounts. To make things quicker, I thought I would set the shared account to "Display: Never suggest in browser" (in the edit window of that item).

If these items are in their own separate vault, I would exclude that vault from "All Vaults" view, so you can switch to it just when you need it.

I believe that the "never display in browser" was used for those logins that you would never want to fill on a webpage, so the way you are using the feature is not exactly their intended use case, since you want that login hidden, but not always.

• mitchdesign
    mitchdesign
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ana, I guess I should think of the mini app more as a tool to fill in the password than as a mini version of the complete app.
    In this role it makes sense that I won't find the item that I have said I don't want to show up in a browser.
    I have indeed used Vault hiding for other purposes (e.g. we also have some support related passwords for every site, that I normally don't want to be bothered with). I will try your suggestion :) Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mitchdesign:

I guess I should think of the mini app more as a tool to fill in the password than as a mini version of the complete app.

Technically, it's both, but I agree that in your specific scenario, perhaps thinking about it in this terms makes more sense :+1:

I will try your suggestion :) Thanks.

Sounds good! Let us know if there is anything we can do to help :)

This discussion has been closed.