Why does searching the same name give different results in the app and Safari?

Options
gengakusha
gengakusha
Community Member

I have noticed that there is an inconsistency between search results in the 1Password app and when using the Safari extension.

I have 9 logins for the same domain. 8 of these have the domain name (minus the ".com") in the login name but only 5 of these appear in search results using the Safari extension. I first noticed without doing a search and opening the extension while on the login page. When the login I wanted did not appear I wondered if there could be a discrepancy between the domains so did a manual search. The same 5 logins appeared. I then opened the app and did the same search and all 9 logins were listed (I double checked the domains in the URLs for all of them and they are the same). Although they are not all in the same vault, 3 or the missing 4 are in my primary vault.

I can't find anything which says whether the extension version should have the same number as the app version but I had thought that 1Password 7 automatically keeps the Safari extension up to date so had not looked at that until now and notice they are different. Should they be the same and could that be the cause? And if so, how do I force the extension upgrade?

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 7.5
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gengakusha!

If I search for some value, I get the same results in the 1Password app and in the browser extension. Can you confirm that the items that do not show up in the extension are not marked as Never suggest in browser?

This is a settings that could cause the behavior that you are seeing.

• gengakusha
    gengakusha
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @ag_ana

Thank you for the quick reply.
    As you thought, the problem was the "never suggest in browser" setting. The worrying thing is that I had not noticed that there was such as setting so have never set it intentionally. Is there a keyboard shortcut to set it which I might have used accidentally?

I have two follow up questions as well:
    1) Is there any way to search for all logins with this flag set? I'd like to make sure it isn't set for any other logins and I don't want to go through 300+ items one by one ;)
    2) If I decide to use this feature and set it for a login which I move into a shared vault, will it be set for all users of the vault or just me?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gengakusha:

Is there a keyboard shortcut to set it which I might have used accidentally?
    1) Is there any way to search for all logins with this flag set? I'd like to make sure it isn't set for any other logins and I don't want to go through 300+ items one by one ;)

I don't think there is a keyboard shortcut for this. However, if you want to make sure that there are no other items that you set not to show up in the browser, you can use the advanced search options:

This will show you a list of all items you might have accidentally set like this, so you can change them if necessary.

2) If I decide to use this feature and set it for a login which I move into a shared vault, will it be set for all users of the vault or just me?

It will be set for all users: the setting is inside the Login item, so even if you move it from one vault to another, those settings will remain.

• gengakusha
    gengakusha
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the reply.

Interestingly, the only logins set with this flag were the 4 missing from the initial search. How they got changed will remain a mystery but at least the problem is now resolved.

Thank you

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @gengakusha! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.