Double verification with 1Password and 1Password X

Hi there,

After I am entering the password to open 1Password (or using fingerprint on my MacBook touchbar) and then go with one of the Logins, the opened page is prompting just an empty u/n and p/w fields. Repeating the Login with 1Password just brings yet another tab (Chrome web browser) with same empty u/n and p/w fields. The only solution is to fill those empty fields with 1Password X, which requires entering the master password again (Shift+Cmd+X). - Utterly inconvenient!
What do I do wrong? - I don't believe you would design such an inconvenient way of using 1Password ?

Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Mentbase!

Are you launching the logins from inside the 1Password app, by clicking on its website field perhaps? If you are using 1Password X as your extension, remember that 1Password X does not communicate with the desktop app, it's an extension that is completely separate.

So you either do everything with 1Password X, or you use the older companion extension, if you want it to communicate with the desktop app.

• Mentbase
    Mentbase
    Community Member

I always start with an attempt to login by clicking on 1Password icon in the MacBook menu bar. - Yes, I am clicking on the website filed, which is promising 'open and fill' result. But only the 'open' works. If I try again, it will bring yet another identical opened page with the same empty u/n and p/w fields. At the same time, each of such empty fields are prompting to use 1Password X to enter the required values. So, it's either to use it, thus entering the master password again (which is a hustle), or to go back to 1Password app, and copy/paste individually u/n and p/w (a hustle too) to open the page.
    Is the presence of 1Password X 'confusing' the process, and is needed to be uninstalled?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020

Hey @Mentbase ,

I'll try to clarify the situation here so you can make an educated decision on how you want your setup to look like, so I apologize upfront for the long reply :)

When you click the little 1Password icon in your Mac's menu bar, you're actually calling the 1Password 7 desktop app. You're trying to open and fill a website from the desktop app, but it can only open the browser and not autofill, as there's no extension in the browser that can talk to the desktop app.

1Password X is an independent extension that has a lot of advantages, so if you'd like to use it, your workflow should start and end inside the browser. Not with the desktop app, not with the little 1Password icon in the top menu bar of your Mac. Your workflow should look like this:
    1. Open the browser.
    2. Click the 1Password X icon on the top right corner of your browser and unlock it.
    3. Find whichever website you want to log into and click on "Go".
    4. 1Password X will take you there and autofill.

If you'd like to be able to open and fill from the desktop app (or from the mini icon on the top menu bar), you have two options:

Our betas are safe to use, and you can always go back to stable if you want. I do recommend giving them a try since you'll be able to enjoy 1Password X's benefits while still having the ability to unlock with Touch ID. A lot of our users are already enjoying that with the betas.

• Mentbase
    Mentbase
    Community Member

Thank you for your clarification, Yaron.
    Just three questions:
    1. Are you planning for the 'beta's' integration feature between 1Password app and 1Password X to be implemented in a final release?
    2. Between installing the 'beta's' with those integration features, and just replacing 1Password X with the old companion extension connected to the desktop app - which one is safer and/or more secure for my passwords, notes etc.?
    3. For me, as for an end user, what in those 'beta's' I may notice, should be aware of etc, which will make me decide to 'go back to stable'? Otherwise, if, as you said, the 'beta's' do what I need/expect, why would I care whether yo call them 'beta', 'omega'?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020

Hey @Mentbase , great questions.

1. Definitely, yes.
    2. Both are completely safe. Our betas do not put you or your data in danger in any way or sort, and are not destructive.
    3. The beta versions often updates more frequently than the stable versions, and you'll notice a lot of new features and fixes when using them. These new features/fixes sometimes have unwanted side effects (for example, a certain website won't autofill like you're used to, or a keyboard shortcut not working etc), but nothing that would make you lose data or anything destructive. While such issues are not common in the betas, If you find a certain beta update too inconvenient due to such issue, you can simply install the stable version back and resume your regular workflow.

I hope that clarifies things. Let me know if you have further questions.

• Mentbase
    Mentbase
    Community Member

Thank you, Yaron.
    It's clear.
    How can I get the beta's for my Windows (v7.6.778)?

• Mentbase
    Mentbase
    Community Member

...and yet another question, Yaron.
    I just installed the 1Password app from 1Password.com per instructions on https://support.1password.com/switch-from-mac-app-store/ (my original installation was from Apple Store).
    Now my version is: 1Password 7 Version 7.6.1.BETA-0 (70601000) 1Password Beta. Yet, the 1Password X is still has the paddle lock on it, pending entering the master password. - I.e. already unlocked with finger print 1Password app does not control the 1Password X.
    Any advice?
    Thank you!

• Mentbase
    Mentbase
    Community Member

Sorry, Yaron, I overlooked the 1password X Beta instruction. All is working - I am fully in beta's.
    Thank you again.

• I'm glad to hear everything is working now, @Mentbase. On behalf of Yaron, you're very welcome. :smile:

• Mentbase
    Mentbase
    Community Member

Hi Michaelc, what about the the beta's for my Windows (currently using v7.6.778)? - It's left as unanswered question.

Thank you.

• Hey @Mentbase. Here's how to enroll in the betas:

https://support.1password.com/betas/

Note that 1Password X does not integrate with 1Password for Windows currently. This is something in beta testing only on Mac at the moment.

• Mentbase
    Mentbase
    Community Member

Thank you. Understood.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of ag_michaelc, you are welcome @Mentbase!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• Mentbase
    Mentbase
    Community Member

Hi guys,

I am using beta's as you suggested. The integration between 1Password and 1Password X was in place, as expected. But suddenly (probably since a few days ago) I noticed that all is back to that need for the 'double verification' I started my question from.
    The beta on my MacBook is: 1Password 7
    Version 7.7.BETA-5 (70700005)
    1Password Beta.
    Can you please help?

Thank you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Mentbase:

Sorry for the inconvenience! Please see this announcement for the latest details on this.

This discussion has been closed.