Suggestion: Dropdown in website fields that could include the installed applications on our Machines

jpartain89
jpartain89
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I noticed the other day when I was re-setting up my iMac after the last time I wiped it, that 1password mini started trying to pull passwords related to my System Preferences app, using the "app://com.apple.systempreferences" address.

So, with that in mind, how hard would it be to include some sort of dynamic drop down that could pull our installed applications in this field, so we could have 1password mini detect the appropriate passwords?

Or some sort of auto-fill-like function when we start typing "app://" in the address field?

1Password Version: 7.6.1.BETA-0 (70601000)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.6 Beta (19G71a)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jpartain89!

Sorry for the wait here! I had a chat with a colleague about this, and I think one of the reasons why this feature is not available is that it would potentially allow you to connect the wrong login with the wrong app. For example, if this was available, it would be possible for you to choose another app identifier, and this login would not show for the correct app anymore.

Perhaps it would help if you could elaborate a little bit on how you would use this feature. Can you give us an example of when this would be useful to you?

• jpartain89
    jpartain89
    Community Member

A good case actually just happened to me!

I had to update Facebook Messenger, and that is through the Mac App Store. But, it had been so long since I had last used it, it required me to sign in.

Now, when I hit the 1Password mini keyboard shortcut (cmd+) it DID pull up the correct account identifier (anything to do with Apple Logins came up). The only issue? Autofill!

Now, I can understand if this ends up being not at all possible, due to macOS lock down of security and what not. But I know I've gotten really used to being able to hit "return" on my keyboard when the correct login info is selected and it auto-filling it.

Now, expand this to a new mac, or you reinstalled macOS and you have to sign into your email accounts in System Preferences. Anything email related: GMail, extra iCloud, the various IMAP providers... those could all potentially at LEAST automatically show up in the 1password mini window.

This discussion has been closed.