Feedback on the UI / UX of the Safari Inline Menu

DrSFG
DrSFG
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

"Second, when using Safari, 1Password is right there on the page, ready to fill thanks to the new inline menu! You can fill logins, credit cards, and generate passwords. It even has adorable little vault doors when locked."
This item is terrible! It interferes with Safari's passwords and the two compete and block each other. Is there a way to disable this?

1Password Version: 7.7b0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: folder

Comments

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

Many site have a text message code needed to go further at login
    normally when we click in the code field, it will show the code sent by text message
    now it shows 1Password and the text code which is confusig and need more interaction than needed

Please ensure 1Password does not show when a two factors authentification is sent by text message, so the text message is the only thing showing for that field

1Password Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2020

Hi @Gilles9

I don't believe we have any way of determining that, but I will speak with the team and see if we can put our heads together on how to improve this experience. Thanks!

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#1537

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

Maybe make that an option in preferences
    I was Ok with using my shortcut

• That's a thought, @Gilles9. The bar for adding a preference is pretty high. If you do a search of this forum for "add a preference" you can get some idea why. But we'll continue to monitor the feedback through the beta period to see if enough people would use such a preference to consider adding it. :+1:

Ben

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

I suppose it gets us to make a choice, Safari Passwords or 1Password
    as you are right both at the same time is somehow confusing

Disabling it would be nice as an option

• rwa
    rwa
    Community Member

I agree. This is extremely inconvenient. It effectively breaks a useful Safari feature.

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member

I, too, dislike how this drop-down interferes with the build-in Safari autofill. Perhaps this integration can be made optional or display only if Safari lacks the password (although I am not sure if the 1Password app would be able to detect that, as it's probably privileged info).

• or display only if Safari lacks the password (although I am not sure if the 1Password app would be able to detect that, as it's probably privileged info)

It can't.

• dhclements
    dhclements
    Community Member

Hi,

First the first time, my most recent 7.7 beta-0 has stuff I do not like!

In my browsers, it keeps putting up a 1Pass pop-up destroying my normal entry including scripts—my clicks don’t work b/c that window blocks them. HOW do I get that behavior to STOP?

Dr. DHC

1Password Version: 7.7.Beta-0
    Extension Version: 7.7.Beta-0
    OS Version: OS 10.15.6
    Sync Type: Dropbox
    Referrer: forum-search:1Pass browser "pop-up" is in the way!

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member

I never allow Safari to store or enter passwords. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a secure password manager like 1Password? Anyway I am loving the inline menu feature - fewer keystrokes, waiting, and mystery.

1Password version: 7.7-BETA-0
    Extension version: 7.7-BETA-0
    OS Version: macOS Big Sur Version 11.0 Beta 3
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• rwa
    rwa
    Community Member

Safari stores passwords in the keychain, not just plaintext. I can see people preferring 1P inline (and the Safari side can be disabled in that case...it will get out of your way), but for those that have a use for the Safari feature 1P has now broken it without the ability to disable.

• Hi folks,

Our official position on this and other issues related to the use of multiple password managers is to turn off the built-in password manager in your browser.

Ben

• rwa
    rwa
    Community Member

Personally I'd prefer that you not dictate how I use other software, but that's a choice you can choose to make as a response to your customers.

However, even if I do that...I find the new behavior extremely cumbersome and disruptive. Worse, it pops up even when 1Password has no suggestion b/c I haven't saved a password for the site. And on some (surely poorly designed) sites it pops up on non-login fields. Even if I accept your suggestion...this feature makes your product worse. Why can't you offer the ability to disable it?

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member

I wholeheartedly agree with @rwa.

• Julio Bouza
    Julio Bouza
    Community Member

HA!! I thought I was the only going nuts with this lol. I liked it better when it wasn't showing up automatically and using right mouse click to bring it up when I needed to see it on Safari vs BAMMM I AM HERE!! lol. It does get in the way especially when using 2 factor authentication and getting a text with code via iMessage. Perhaps allow the user to configure it to either BAMMM I AM HERE or not or just don't BAMM I AM HERE showing up lol. Very intrusive.

• kr1
    kr1
    Community Member

Agree with others. It has a huge 1password box at every spot where I can enter information. So annoying. I like the little 1password logo on right that I can click to access. I don't want the huge box there all the time. It also covers everything below the which is often the login button. Not a good update. In fact, really annoying! Please minimize and allow me to access as needed since it is not always needed.

• rwa
    rwa
    Community Member

The 2 factor auth via SMS brought up by @Julio Bouza is an even more important point. That is one of the great features of Safari, and it can't be served by 1Password. I'd rather not have to use SMS 2 factor codes, but they are a requirement in some cases.

• Duane Williams
    Duane Williams
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

The attached image pretty much says it all. My login info is filled in and I just need to tap the login or sign in button, but it is being covered up with a superfluous suggestion!

1Password Version: Version 7.7.BETA-1 (70700001)
    OS Version: macOS 10.15.6 (19G73)
    Sync Type: iCloud
    Referrer: forum-search:suggestions cover the sign in button

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member

I am running into instances where the 1Password inline fill displays for fields it cannot reasonably fill, either because the form is coded poorly or because the authentication requires credentials other than or in addition to one's username and password (ex: field requires first four letters of your last name, except the field is not coded for last name). In these cases the inline fill is obtrusive.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback everyone! :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Duane Williams!

Can you please share step by step instructions on how to replicate this? I have just tested our forum site in Safari, and after clicking on the dropdown entry, my credentials were filled and the menu disappeared.

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member

It appears Duane also has the Safari Autofill feature turned on which has pre-filled the login form fields (denoted by the yellow background). So he's seeing the suggestions from the new 1Password inline menu even though Safari's own Autofill has already filled it in.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Well spotted @snozdop! I believe you hit the nail on the head here :+1:

If Safari filled the credentials before 1Password, all 1Password can do is suggest the right logins itself. This is why we recommend disabling the built-in password manager in the browser, so there is no interference between the browser and 1Password trying to do the same thing.

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member

Is there a reason why the new Safari inline popup is so large (252 x 152px) when 1Password needs unlocking?

It frequently completely obscures other form elements on screen, for no reason that I can determine. The only active and useful part of the UI blocking popup (the Unlock 1Password button) only occupies 16% of the popup, so there's a lot of unneeded or wasted space.

Being obscured by the popup in the screenshot above is the Password field, a Remember my username checkbox, and a warning message not to remember it on a shared/public computer. All useful info that is hidden from view.

Also, why is an extra click needed to Unlock 1Password when it would be quicker to have the Master Password field right in the popup? For example:

Or, a significantly more compact popup would be even better in my opinion:

The popup also doesn't adopt the dark system appearance if that's what you have set.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @snozdop!

Is there a reason why the new Safari inline popup is so large (252 x 152px) when 1Password needs unlocking?

I think it's because, once you unlock 1Password there, the dropdown menu would be the same size, or larger. So even if we made it smaller there, it would still expand after unlocking.

It frequently completely obscures other form elements on screen, for no reason that I can determine.

Do you need access to the other form fields during unlock? Can you give us an example where this would be useful? I think 1Password is doing the right thing here: once you click on a form field, 1Password asks you to unlock it so it can fill your credentials on the form. Having access to the other fields does not look very useful at this point in the unlocking process.

• Duane Williams
    Duane Williams
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

I do have autofill turned on. Implement a way for me to turn those new suggestions off if you can't put them out of the way of the login button. I would like 1P to work the way it always has in the past: fill passwords when I type a keystroke to request it and ask me which password I want to use if there's ambiguity.

The fact is that I'm a very long time user of 1P and it is the primary repository for my passwords. Most of them are not available in autofill. Still, autofill is way more convenient than 1P, when it works; so I use it for frequently visited sites.

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member

Do you need access to the other form fields during unlock? Can you give us an example where this would be useful?

It's not so much having access to the other fields, but being able to see them and other, potentially useful information, that may be close to them, and therefore obscured by the popup. I like to be able to see what I'm logging into and perhaps notice any changes to the login process.

Some websites choose to put important information next to the form fields in the hope that it is noticed by the user when logging in.

I think 1Password is doing the right thing here: once you click on a form field, 1Password asks you to unlock it so it can fill your credentials on the form.

If, as many websites do, the login form automatically gives focus to the username field upon page load, the popup is automatically activated without having to click on a form field. In these situations you may miss important information that is obscured by the popup.

Also, some websites ask for certain characters from a passphrase in separate fields, which 1Password still cannot autofill. Depending on the position, these fields could also be obscured by the popup.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for elaborating @snozdop! We will continue to evaluate what the best approach is :+1:

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member

The fact is that I'm a very long time user of 1P and it is the primary repository for my passwords. Most of them are not available in autofill. Still, autofill is way more convenient than 1P, when it works; so I use it for frequently visited sites.

This is exactly how I use 1Password.

Safari Autofill for a handful of sites I log into very regularly and 1PW for the 1000+ logins I have that are less regularly used.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Duane Williams:

I do have autofill turned on. Implement a way for me to turn those new suggestions off if you can't put them out of the way of the login button.

If you decide to still keep Safari keychain enabled despite our recommendation, you should be able to hide the 1Password menu there by tapping on your Esc key. As I wrote above, what you are trying to do is not a supported configuration, but we can certainly continue to evaluate this moving forward, especially since this is such a new feature :+1:

This discussion has been closed.