1Password on New Laptop

ThomasBock301
ThomasBock301
Community Member
edited July 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello:

I have been using 1Password for 5 years now. I recently purchased a new laptop and setting up/configuring 1Password is without a doubt the most challenging software.

Here's what I had previously:

• 1Password (desktop version) installed on laptop
  • 1Password (app) installed on Android phone
  • Used Dropbox to sync any changes from desktop version to Android device (or vice versa)
  • Using Dropbox did NOT require a paid membership... all worked perfectly!

Then, I purchased a new laptop:

• Reinstalled desktop version on new laptop
  • Installed Dropbbox on new laptop
  • Configuring the sync process is an absolute nightmare/challenge (shouldn't be this way)... 1Password screenshots on various help menus are out-of-date and don't match what I see in the version that I have

Here's where I currently stand:

• I even tried to switch over to the paid version of 1Password
  • I do NOT want my password in the cloud though... instead, I merely want to be able to sync data between desktop and phone... why does 1Password/AgileBits makes it sooo difficult to do so?

Is there anyone willing to summarize the steps for preferably configuring the syncing process w/o membership (i.e., I purchased the software but don't believe I need an annual membership)?

Thank you,
Tom

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: ??
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ThomasBock301,

I am sorry to hear about your experience! It was not our intention to confuse you.

Am I right to understand that you use 1Password 4 for Windows on your old computers now? Please confirm.

The thing is that 1Password 4 for Windows is an old app (that is no longer supported), that is why we do not have its articles in our support knowledge base. If you use a local vault in 1Password 4 for Windows, you can do the following:

1) Download and install 1Password 4 for Windows on your new laptop from here.

2) After that, launch it and select the second option:

3) Find your vault in Dropbox and select it there.

Let me know how it works for you. However, if you are against any cloud, I wonder why you continue using Dropbox. If you have any concerns 1Password membership accounts, please let us know and we will be happy to address them. Thanks!

P. S. I also moved our discussion to 1Password 4 category of our forum. I hope you don't mind.

Cheers,
    Greg

• ThomasBock301
    ThomasBock301
    Community Member

Greg:

Thank you for the prompt response... I appreciate it.

As of now, my old laptop does not work any longer. Thus, I don't have any means to sync between my computer and Android device.

• WRT to the download, I have already installed version 4.6.2.626 on the new laptop.
    • When I open the software, file "1Password.agilekeychain appears to be the default file (which contains my password-related records).

Here's what I'm having trouble with:

• During the config recently, I may have deleted the folder on Dropbox (I'm ok using Dropbox as the mechanism for synching)
    • Also, in 1Password (under the "File" menu), I see the option "WLAN Sync". This option generates a "New Secret"...
    • I don't recall using "Secret" (generated by this option) via Dropbox.

My question(s): What are the specific steps for setting up the sync method since all data is currently loaded in my desktop version? How to I reconfigure Dropbox to make sure the folders/files are discovered and updated once a new password record is added/modified/deleted?

Thanks,
    Tom

• If you're certain you have no data from your desktop on Dropbox, then this guide should have you covered for setting up sync to Dropbox from your desktop, @ThomasBock301:

https://support.1password.com/sync-with-dropbox/

WLAN sync would work between Android and Windows, but it's not something I'd recommend because it really only works well between two devices. When you add a third, it becomes a bit of a headache and if Dropbox is okay for you, then it's going to be a simpler choice for sure.

After you've synced to Dropbox from your desktop, Greg's instructions should allow you to sync to your laptop from there. :+1:

• ThomasBock301
    ThomasBock301
    Community Member

Kate:

Thank you... I am still unable to follow the instructions how to sync my vault to Dropbox. Please see attached snapshot highlighting the "disconnect".

I'd welcome some additional help on how to proceed. Thank you!

Tom

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hello @ThomasBock301,

Sorry for the confusion!

Please open and unlock 1Password 4, then go to File > Preferences > General:

There you can press "Move to Dropbox" button and your vault will be moved to Dropbox. After that you can select Sync via Dropbox option in 1Password on your Android device and 1Password should find your vault there.

Let me know how it works. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• ThomasBock301
    ThomasBock301
    Community Member

Greg:

Thank you... I'm one step further now. Based on your screenshot, moving the file from my desktop to Dropbox was very easy.

However, there's still a "disconnect" between my 1Password version on my desktop and the file that's on my Android. Please see attached snapshot.

Ultimately, it appears the laptop is using and "agilekey.chain" file while the Android device is using an "opvault" file.

Before transitioning to the new laptop, both devices were syncing up. That is, when I copied my files from the old laptop to the new laptop, I simply copied the entire folder structure of all documents in "My Documents" (incl. 1Password).

All that said, what else is required to align the two different files types? I'd be ok to go either direction (either agilekey or opvault) since I pretty much have manually maintained records on both devices (so, I think it should lose data if one file gets replaced by another).

Again, what else needs to be done to finalize the syncing process?

Thank you,
    Tom

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ThomasBock301:

Before transitioning to the new laptop, both devices were syncing up.

The error message on your Android device shows that the file does not exist anymore however. Did you do something else when you transitioning to the new laptop, that might have removed your .opvault data from where it was?

Specifically: if you open your Dropbox folder and go to /Apps/1Password, do you see your .opvault file there? 1Password for Android seems to suggest that it's actually not there.

• ThomasBock301
    ThomasBock301
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

Ana - thank you for the support.

Yes, as part of a previous post (in this forum), it was suggested to start over again w/ Dropbox. Thus, I had removed all files from Dropbox. So, at this time, only the agilekeychain file resides on Dropbox.

That said, I'm sure there must be a way to re-configure the two devices so that syncing is possible again. If you have any advice/recommendations on how to proceed from here, I'd welcome your feedback.

Thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ThomasBock301:

The challenge here is that you are using a very old version of the 1Password app for Windows, which has now been discountinued for years (it has not received updates for three years now), and that you are also using a very old .agilekeychain file format (years ago we switched to the more modern and secure .opvault format, which all our current apps use by default now).

.agilekeychain is not used anymore by default (for example, I have never even had the chance to see it in my 1Password apps), so that complicates things. To simplify things, would you consider upgrading to 1Password for Windows version 7? That's our most recent version of the app, which we are currently still working on and regularly improving, so we would also be able to support you much better there.

• ThomasBock301
    ThomasBock301
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

Ana:

Again, thanks for the prompt response and support. Allow me to follow-up (in bullet format)...

• I have been using 1Password for approximately 5 years now. I recall that -- at some point -- the file format changed.
    • So, while I have a license key for 4.6.2.626, I recall having modified the data file.
    • Also, in previous posts, I ultimately tried to resolve the same question. 1Password experts kept on providing the download link for 4.6.2.626 (so, I though I was in good shape).
    • Ultimately, I'm open to upgrading to a newer version... even if it means I have to go through a one-time purchasing fee. However, I'm NOT open to anything that requires a monthly/annually subscription.
    • Once I purchased the latest version I do NOT require regular updates. Membership subscriptions would become too costly as it would be the equivalent to purchasing a new version pretty much every year.

That said, if you provide me a link to a new version, I'll download it. However, I am hopeful that doing so would result in fixing the sync issues once and for all. All other software that I needed to reinstall took ~5-10 minutes during the re-installation process.

Alternatively, I have probably spent already several hours (combined) on solving 1Password. This is insane as to why AgileBits makes it so complicated when having to upgrade/reinstall the software. If there's no easy solution, I will have to consider another software program that may not be as powerful as 1Password but won't give me any headache either.

Thank you,
    Tom

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ThomasBock301:

That said, if you provide me a link to a new version, I'll download it.

You can download 1Password 7 from our website here. You don't need to get a subscription if you don't want it, you can choose a standalone license instead :+1:

However, I am hopeful that doing so would result in fixing the sync issues once and for all.

For what it's worth, I did not have issues configuring sync in my test Windows installation (and I am not a very technical person!)

All other software that I needed to reinstall took ~5-10 minutes during the reinstallation process.

I understand. As I mentioned above though, a big part of the issue is that 1Password 4 has not received updates for years now, and it's currently a legacy application that has been discontinued. To be completely honest with you, I am even surprised that it is still working after all this time! All our testing now is going towards 1Password 7, so any issue you encounter there also allows us to help you better.

You might also find this article useful, if you decide to upgrade:

Upgrade to 1Password 7 for Windows

• ThomasBock301
    ThomasBock301
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

Thank you... the frustration rises.

I clicked on the provided link and downloaded 1Password 7. I choose "Start Trial" and the very next screen prompted me to select from various monthly plans. I did NOT see an option for a one-time purchase scenario (as I stated in one of my previous posts).

Response was: "You don't need to get a subscription if you don't want it, you can choose a standalone license instead".

If there's such option for a stand-alone (one-time purchase license), your team is doing a great job hiding it. Sorry for venting... 'just getting increasingly frustrated as this seems to be a never-ending scenario.

Please provide info as to where I can select purchase options that does NOT require a monthly subscription/payment.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020

@ThomasBock301:

If there's such option for a stand-alone (one-time purchase license), your team is doing a great job hiding it. Sorry for venting... 'just getting increasingly frustrated as this seems to be a never-ending scenario.

No need to apologize! We intentionally don't market our licenses anymore, on the website or in the apps, because we believe a 1Password.com membership is the best choice for most users, so I understand that the license option is not very visible without a couple of extra clicks.

To purchase a license, just click on the 1Password menu and then on Purchase 1Password:

• ThomasBock301
    ThomasBock301
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

The NeverEndingStory never ends.

1. I have purchased the stand-alone version and downloaded the license.
    2. Next, I clicked on "Sync using Dropbox"
    3. Based on step #2, I am prompted to select a folder. I chose the existing folder that I already have on Dropbox.
    4. The error message indicates "Folder name must end with .opvault or agilekeychain".

Now, in your response from 10 July you indicated the following: ".agilekeychain is not used anymore by default (for example, I have never even had the chance to see it in my 1Password apps), so that complicates things."

If your statement is true, why would the most current 1Password version throw and error message that stills references "Folder must end with... or agilekeychain". In my view, if you truly discontinued it, your error message should only reference .opvault". I hope I wasn't tricked in purchasing a new version when the old one would have sufficed.

Anyhow, moving on... giving that I purchased a new version, the installation is still not seamless. So, here's what I need you to do for me.

1. Indicate whether or not I need to complete remove/trash the old 1Password including folder structure currently linked to 1Password.
    2. Ensure me that doing so not NOT remove all my password off my Android during the 1st syncing process. That is, a new/empty file on my desktop may overwrite the file/data on my Android and I'd be losing all of my data.
    3. Based on #2, I need steps to ensure that I can select a bi-directional sync where the Android is considered the master and overwrites the empty data file on the desktop version.

If none of this works, I kindly request to have you virtually connect to my laptop and -- once and for all -- finalize this process. I am somewhat tech-savvy but 1Password is the MOST CONFUSING software I have ever had to install/configure... SAD!!!!

Thanks,
    Tom

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020

@ThomasBock301:

The error message indicates "Folder name must end with .opvault or agilekeychain".

Let's start by choosing the correct item then. The error message is telling you to choose either something ending in .opvault or in .agilekeychain, but you are not doing it: you are choosing the 1Password folder instead. Please double click on the 1Password folder and choose the correct file inside it, as the message is suggesting.

Now, in your response from 10 July you indicated the following: ".agilekeychain is not used anymore by default (for example, I have never even had the chance to see it in my 1Password apps), so that complicates things."

If your statement is true, why would the most current 1Password version throw and error message that stills references "Folder must end with... or agilekeychain". In my view, if you truly discontinued it, your error message should only reference .opvault".

"Not using something by default anymore" means that if you create a new vault, it will use the new .opvault file format instead of the old .agilekeychain file format. This is different from what you are inferring, i.e. that you think that 1Password should only reference .opvault files.

I hope I wasn't tricked in purchasing a new version when the old one would have sufficed.
    If none of this works, I kindly request to have you virtually connect to my laptop and -- once and for all -- finalize this process.

I am sorry that you feel this way. I have tried to be helpful as much as I can these last few days, answering all your questions and guiding you to the best of my abilities, even with the support of annotated screenshots any time you got stuck at any step of the process.

We do not offer remote services however, it looks like you might be in need of some additional guidance that is tailored specifically to you, so in this case I would encourage you to reach out to us via email at support+forum@agilebits.com so we can continue the conversation over there without sharing personal information on a public forum.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• ThomasBock301
    ThomasBock301
    Community Member

Ana:

Prior to upgrading from version 4.x to 7.x, I mentioned that I have the "agilekeychain" as my filetype for the desktop.

1. Given that I previously had the old version, I only can select agilekeychain, but you encouraged me to upgrade since the "agilekeychain" filetype has been retired.
    2. I still have 4.x installed. So, when I create a new file, wouldn't I create a new opvault file (w/ no data) first.

At this time, I want to make sure that -- if I were to create a new/empty opvault file within v7 and I begin the syncing process -- I won't delete the existing data on my Android and overwrite with an empty file based on v7. I then would have lost all of my data.

Please advise about the specific procedures for the following:

• I still have v4 installed (on desktop) with data... but it's out of date now
    • I have all current data on my Android... I manually maintained it
    • I now have upgraded from v4 to v7 1Password and need to start either bringing in the opvaul from the Android or start with a new op-vault on the desktop
    • Finally, I want to overwrite the empty opvault on the desktop with the opvault from the Android...

What are the specific steps that allow me to do exactly that? I'm sure installing the software from scratch is easy but I'm dealing with an upgrade and do NOT want to lose the data off my Android.

• Let's take a quick baby step back here, @ThomasBock301. Are you currently syncing that vault on your Android device to Dropbox at all? 1Password 7 for Windows can convert that AgileKeychain vault, but it sounds like that vault is likely outdated at this point so the first thing we'll want to do is make sure that we get that good data from your Android device over to Dropbox so 1Password on your PC is able to pick it up. Let's focus on that one step for now and, once we do that, it should be easier to get that data onto your PC.

• ThomasBock301
    ThomasBock301
    Community Member

Kate - thank you for chiming in... I appreciate it.

Allow me to recap:
    1. Prior to purchasing new laptop, syncing process worked fine between 1Password on laptop and Android
    2. Upon purchasing new laptop, config/sync process was disrupted.
    3. I now have upgraded to 1Password v7 but I am not syncing to Dropbox. Same for Android... it doesn't find the file any longer (Sync Settings indicated that it "looks" for an OPVAULT file).
    4. 1Password version 4 (which is still installed on laptop) uses an Agilekeychain file.

So, if there's a way to first, somehow, import my 1Password data from the Android onto my laptop, I'd be thrilled... what are those steps (pls keep in mind that I still show "Install 1Password v7" when I open the setup file.

Thanks,
    Tom

• Awesome, thanks so much, @ThomasBock301. That's the state I thought you were in reading back, but I always prefer to ask and make sure when I have any doubt at all. So, you have two options for getting your data to Dropbox from your Android device:

1. Restore your old OPVault and re-enable sync. Dropbox itself has the option to restore deleted files so you'd find the file there. This should sync all of the changes you've made in your Android app to that old OPVault, but I can totally understand being uncomfortable syncing to something with old data in it. So, if you prefer not to do that, there's option 2.
    2. Export your data from your Android device: Open and unlock 1Password, then tap Settings > Advanced > “Export primary vault”. Your 1Password data will be saved to a folder named 1PasswordExports in local storage on your device. Connect to your PC via USB, then drag that folder to your PC from local storage. There should be an OPVault inside.

Regardless of which you choose, next step is opening that vault on your PC. Only if you chose option 2, first open that folder you moved to your PC and drag the OPVault to a location of your choosing on Dropbox. Regardless of your choice:

1. Choose Dropbox on the Welcome screen in 1Password 7.
    2. Select your OPVault folder, then click "Select folder".
    3. Enter your Master Password where prompted.

Your PC should now be syncing to Dropbox! If you went with option 1, too, you're all done. If you went with option 2, we'll have to get your Android syncing too:

1. Delete 1Password for Android.
    2. Reinstall, tap Dropbox on the Welcome screen.
    3. Select your OPVault when it finds it (this should be all it finds since you removed everything else).
    4. Enter your Master Password when prompted.

And now you're done regardless. Go ahead and make a test item on each device though to make extra sure. And, of course, if you run into any trouble along the way at all, stop and let me know. I tried to put as much in here as I can just in case I'm out the door by the time you get around to doing this, but I'll be checking back and my teammates will be here to help in their timezones so feel free to ask questions as needed. :+1:

• ThomasBock301
    ThomasBock301
    Community Member

Kate:

It appears I'm making some MAJOR PROGRESS now... syncing is not fully complete but allow me to recap where I currently stand:

• I successfully exported the OPVAULT from Android and successfully moved it to Dropbox
    • I opened the file "1PasswordSetup-7.6.778" and I selected the OPVAULT on Dropbox
    • I was prompted for the MASTER PASSWORD... upon entering, all data from the Android now reside on my PC

I'm about to transition to the next step (i.e., deleting 1Password from Android and then link it to my PC. Before doing so, however, I have a question about the 1Password software on my desktop now.

It appears the installation may have NOT fully completed. Each time I open 1Password v7, I get prompted to "Install 1Password". After the 2nd time, I merely have to enter my master password. However, why do I get prompted w/ the "Install 1Password"? How can I make sure that the software is fully installed and merely prompts me for the master password when opening it on the PC?

Thanks,
    Tom

• It sounds like you're probably clicking the installer rather than opening the app, @ThomasBock301. That setup file is just an installer so you need it once (when you first install), then never again because updates are automatic. Assuming we confirm I'm right here, get rid of that setup file to avoid confusion.

With that covered, let's confirm! 1Password 7 launches on boot by default (you can change this if you wish) so you can open it any time by either selecting it from Start or (my favorite) pressing Ctrl + Shift + \. That should show the unlock screen and allow you to enter your Master Password and unlock as you're used to. Give either/both of those processes a try and, if they work, ditch that setup file. If you still want a desktop shortcut, let me know. I'll walk you through creating it.

Also, do let me know when you're all set on Android. We'll want to ditch 1Password 4 too when you're satisfied all is well, but uninstalling it is going to break filling with 1Password 7 because computers are silly sometimes and I want to make sure I get you instructions to fix that up when the time comes. :+1:

• ThomasBock301
    ThomasBock301
    Community Member

Kate:

Looks like I'm very close to finishing up here... yeah!!

Just a few more things that I need some clarification on... allow me to recap:

1. I searched for the 1Password apps in Program Files and created a shortcut for the app on my desktop. Works fine now (i.e., not prompting me to install anymore).
    2. I deleted 1Password from my Android and reinstalled it. Configured it and 1Pasword data (on PC) were successfully moved to Android... BIG RELIEF!

Now, here's the final thing... as you suggested, I'm testing the bi-directional sync. I've done the following:
    1. In 1Password (on PC), created a new record and called it "000 Testing".
    2. Closed 1Password on PC.
    3. Open 1Password on Android... voila, I see record "000 Testing" on Android... EXCELLENT!
    4. Modified record's name and changed it from "000 Testing" to "000 Testing Android" (on Android).
    5. Closed 1Password on Android.
    6. Opened 1Password on PC and expected to see "000 Testing Android"... unfortunately, the update on the Android was not reflected on the PC's version... still says "000 Testing" (vs. "000 Testing Android").

So, my final question, how come it won't push any edits (made on Android) onto -- what I consider master version -- on the PC?

Thanks,
    Tom

• ThomasBock301
    ThomasBock301
    Community Member

Kate:

I'm very close to solving this... allow me to recap latest status:

1. Found the program in Program Files and created shortcut. Now, it opens w/o the "install" prompt... great!
    2. Syncing from PC to Android works fine. That is, I created a test record and called it "000 Testing".
    3. Once I closed 1Password on PC, I checked 1Password on Android... and the record "000 Testing" was pushed onto Android.

Awesome!!!!

However, here's what appears to be not working at this time.

1. On the Android, I edited the test record and changed name from "000 Testing" to "000 Testing Android Edit".
    2. I then closed 1Password on Android... it indicated that 1 file was changed.
    3. Then, I reopened 1Password on PC and expected the record to read "000 Testing Android Edit"; however, it didn't the PC's version remained with record name = "000 Testing"

My question: Why isn't the syncing working in either direction? PC to Android works fine but the edit on Android was not reflected on the PC. Is there a way to fix it?

Thanks,
    Tom

• Could you lock 1Password then unlock it and let me know if it syncs up, @ThomasBock301? There's an issue that I think only affects 1Password.com (and is near fixed anyway), but maybe it's impacting standalone vaults too. If it is, this will fix it.

Also, I'm terribly sorry for the delay today. My internet was out all morning and then I got sucked into a Twitter snafu (they seem to have had a security incident of sorts) so I'm totally behind the ball today. Forgive me!

• ThomasBock301
    ThomasBock301
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

Kate:

Thank you for the follow-up... no problem about the delayed response. Below is a recap of the syncing process:

• Opened 1Password (PC)
    • Duplicated an existing record and renamed it to "00 Thomas"
    • Closed 1Password (PC) via top right "X"
    • Openend 1Password (Android)... the new record "00 Thomas" exists on Android -- YES!
    • Edited "00 Thomas" and changed it to "00 Tom" (on Android)... message indicates "Sync complete... 1 file changed"
    • Closed 1Password (Android)
    • Re-opened 1Password (PC)
    • The edited record was NOT updated in 1Password (PC) ....

... HOWEVER, I then tried "Exit" (File menu).

• Afterwards, I re-opened 1Password (PC) again and the record now showed "00 Tom".
    • So, it appears that "closing" (top right X) 1Password functions differently than "exiting" the software. I'll keep it in mind for future sync scenarios.

Anyhow, you solved my data sync problem!!! YES! YES! YES!

I give you a virtual hug, Kate!! After many weeks of trying (off and an), your precise instructions helped me finally sync up my data between 1Password on my PC and Android.

AGAOM, MILLION THANKS TO YOU KATE!!!! :)

Cheers,
    Tom

• That's great to hear, @ThomasBock301! That leaves us one last thing to sort – let's get rid of 1Password 4. Go ahead and uninstall that from Control Panel like normal. As a I mentioned, this is going to temporarily break filling with 1Password 7. Here's how you fix it:

1. Open a Run dialogue (Windows Key + R).
    2. Type 1password.exe setup in that Run dialogue, then press enter.

1Password is going to come up claiming it has been updated. It hasn't, but we've tricked it by rerunning the process that follows an update so it's understandably confused. If you had any web browsers open, restart them and filling should now be good to go. And so should you! You should be all set to keep syncing happily moving forward, but should you have additional questions or see any hiccups, you know where to find me. :chuffed:

• ThomasBock301
    ThomasBock301
    Community Member

Thank you, Kate... all is working fine now! Truly appreciate your help!

Cheers,
    Tom

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ThomasBock301,

On behalf of Kate and Ana you are very welcome! I am glad to hear you are all set now.

If you have any other questions, you know where to find us. :)

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.