My iphone broke. Can I access my 1Password info on my new one with only the Master key?

ajvg
ajvg
Community Member

I was using 1Password on my iphone which has now broken. On my new iphone Can I access my info with only my Master Key?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:My iphone broke. Can I access my 1Password info on my new one with only the Master key?

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2020

Hi @ajvg

I'm sorry to hear about your iPhone. You'll likely need something other than just your Master Password, but what exactly you'll need depends on how you were set up. Do you have a 1Password membership (subscription)? If so, then you'll also need your Secret Key. That key would be synced with iCloud Keychain, if you had that service turned on. If you did not have a membership: did you have your 1Password data set up to sync with either iCloud or Dropbox?

Basically you need a copy of your encrypted data. When you have a membership, we store that for you. If you do not, that data is by default stored only on your device, with options to sync with iCloud or Dropbox.

Please let me know so we can help point you in the right direction.

Ben

• ajvg
    ajvg
    Community Member

Hi thanks very much for your prompt response! I don’t think I have a membership and I can’t find a backup in iCloud or Dropbox. I just wanted to check for certain that there was no other way I could access the info if it was held on my old device. I think I need to start again - and back it up! By the way how is the data held on Dropbox? Is it encrypted there as well? Thanks for your help

• @ajvg

Understood, thanks for the additional information @ajvg. Using iCloud or Dropbox would require either a 1Password for Mac, or 1Password for Windows license. If you're only using 1Password on an iOS device, this wouldn't be an option. Additionally we no longer advertise using 1Password that way, but to answer your question, yes: 1Password data synced to Dropbox is encrypted. The way forward with 1Password is membership, which provides you with automatic off-site backups. It also gives you the ability to generate and print an Emergency Kit, which would be incredibly helpful in a situation like this. You can read more about the Emergency Kit here:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

And you can learn more about the other benefits of membership here:

About 1Password membership

I hope that helps!

Ben

• ajvg
    ajvg
    Community Member

It does - thanks again!

• You're very welcome. :) If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.