UX "slower" with 7.7 beta?

esquared
esquared
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Having recently updated to 1Password 7 Version 7.7.BETA-1 (70700001), I've noted that the user-interface seems noticeably "slower", not only in terms of the responsiveness to actions while editing, but also in rendering the results once you hit "Save".

I've already rebooted and restarted 1Password to make sure it's wasn't my system, nothing else is running, and I'm got quite capable hardware (MBP 16", 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 32GB memory), so I'm quite sure it's not my fault.

If I had to guess, looking from the outside, the "Save" issue might be that the re-fresh of the data is not occuring until the sync with the server is complete and some signal is coming back, which I get, but it's a good 0.5-1.0 second before that happens and it's quite disconcerting to not know if the changes I made were actually saved or lost. If that client-server delay is the issue, then someone with a slower internet connection would have an even larger delay than I'm getting.

Regardless, this seems like a change for the worse since previously all changes were rendered locally immediately.

1Password Version: Version 7.7.BETA-1 (70700001)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.15.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @esquared

Thank you for the report. If you repeat this same test while disconnected from the internet do you notice a difference?

Ben

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

Anecdotally, yes. I tested offline, on (wired) and on (wifi). This time delay seemed to be 1.5-2.0 seconds when online, regardless of wired or wifi. I guess that sort of confirms my hypothesis.

In case it matters, I have a very reasonable broadband connection (100/20, although it is Comcast, so meh!). Not fibre, but not slow either.

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

Oh, didn't' say it explicitly, so: when offline, changes are re-rendered "immediately", though I can still see the refresh occur (0.1 sec, or so), switching from the "cached" old state to the new state.

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

This is still occurring 1Password 7 Version 7.7.1.BETA-3 (70701003) 1Password Beta.

Online only. When offline, of course, the interaction with the server is undoubtedly cached, but then again, there's not quite as much value in being offline with 1P. Anyone looking into the UI loop that's undoubtedly in the code. I can clearly imagine that the "save" action closes the editor window, which then needs to refresh the screen, which uses the previously known good state, which is now obsolete because of the edits, and therefore the client and user sees stale data until the round-trip between client and server and back to client occurs, causing the client to refresh yet again.

Assuming one's internet connection is as fast as needed to make this effectively instantaneous is a bad assumption, IMO.

ASIDE: I've noted that the update times between my multiple devices, even between multiple computers, is surprisingly delayed - sometimes by minutes. Dunno if this is related.

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

The more I think about this, the more I can imagine that it's also highly related to another issue: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/580598

Basically, if the "priority" of the local copy / cache of data is not first, then every change needs to go to the cloud server(s) and then back to the client. That implies that the architecture of the client is such that it's only got a read-only cache locally, and the local cache update occurs async from the UI interactions. Moreover, UI interactions necessarily go directly to the server and not locally.

Seems like this and the other issue I mention would be much improved if the client kept a local cache that was able to be modified locally, thus eliminating latency issues with round-trip comms to the server.

Probably, that was decided to be a risk-factor in a multipe-writers scenario, and thus interactions are forced transactional at the server.

Sad if true, because it means there's no way to fix unless the implementation architecture is updated in a serious way.

I have to say that I've not been impressed with the direction of the product of late - I mean, I love the addition of new platforms, but the UI and other issues that have cropped up lately are often frustrating users - I'm not the only one - my co-workers come to me and say "1Password used to be great - now it's feeling clunky.". I say that not to complain, but rather to encourage a bit more rigor to the design to ensure that the UX is good - otherwise, you'll end up loosing customers, and I really don't want that. I still think 1P is better than (most) of the competition.

• garyhooper
    garyhooper
    Community Member

I am noticing a similar problem, using 7.7.1.BETA-4. Updates to any item are very slow. The last one took 19 seconds. Further, after the spinning wheel stops, it can take another 1-2 seconds for the item to be properly refreshed.

This makes the app feel broken.

• Hi folks,

Please re-create this issue while using beta 4 and (ideally while the "beachball" is occurring) create and send a DR:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

It is best if the report is generated while the problem is happening as one of the diagnostic items included is a process sample, which is a snapshot of what 1Password is doing under the hood at the time the report is run. It'll only contain valuable information if 1Password is actively being slow. Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/114801/ux-slower-with-7-7-beta
    • Your forum username

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here.

Thanks!

Ben

• alvaro87
    alvaro87
    Community Member

Hello,

I'm having the exact same issues as the users above and has just sent a Diagnostic Report.

Here is the Support ID number:
    [#UGE-65799-183]

thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@alvaro87:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: UGE-65799-183

This discussion has been closed.