Wrong IP Address...

So Ive had a new and my very first PW manager, for a total of around 45 days, from a competitor. However, in the past three days Ive been getting an error message saying, it doesnt recognize my device, or Im at a new location, and that I need to click the link in my email to verify my IP address. The IP address in the link is wrong. I messaged them, but the following day the error message went away on its own for a few hours, but then returned again early this morning. I contacted them again but no response and I believe they are closed for the weekend. I cant even access my vault, or their forum to get help. Is a different IP address normal ? Any suggestions because Im seriously thinking about switching to this company, and this is frustrating as I dont know if my info is safe ?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Treedin
    Treedin
    Community Member

Sorry as I just realized I should have posted this in the Windows section. My issue is with my laptop from home.
    Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Treedin!

Sorry as I just realized I should have posted this in the Windows section. My issue is with my laptop from home.

I have moved your discussion to the Windows section of the forum for you :+1:

I am however not sure I fully understand your question: you are currently still using the competitor product, correct? It doesn't look like your question is about 1Password at this point. Please feel free to add any additional information that you think would be helpful to clarify the situation.

• Treedin
    Treedin
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

Thanks for moving my post to the correct section.
    You are correct as Im still using a competitors product. I really tried my best to give a full explanation of my situation in my original post, and Im simply not sure what else to add. Oh well, maybe they will get my issue addressed soon. I was thinking about switching to this company but it appears I need to reassess my situation. Im not computer savvy and I guess Im not providing pertinent info with the correct terminology.
    Thanks anyway for trying.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020

@Treedin:

You are very welcome! If you have any questions about 1Password, you know where to find us :)

In the meantime, if you receive notifications from another product, we recommend reaching out to their support for clarification: they are in a much better position to help with this specific query, since we at 1Password don't have any visibility into your configuration there :+1:

At the end of the day, even if we try to suggest something, we would be just guessing, and it would not be fair to you to give you answers about something that we have no information about and risk giving you wrong information in response.

• Treedin
    Treedin
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

So is it possible to get an error message from 1Password saying that my IP address has changed, even though its a laptop that stays in the same location ?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Treedin:

So is it possible to get an error message from 1Password saying that my IP address has changed, even though its a laptop that stays in the same location ?

If you connect via a VPN, then yes, the IP address would change even if your laptop is in the same location. Otherwise I know that IP addresses can change, that is normal, although they should not change so much that it looks like the laptop is connecting from a different location.

• Treedin
    Treedin
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

No Im not using a VPN. This is one of my main concerns about their site for security reasons. Every time I enter my main PW to log into their site, I get a warning message and an email saying that "It doesnt recognize my device, or Im at a new location", and that I need to click the link in my email to verify my IP address. However, the IP address that they want me to verify is wrong. Im not asking you to answer for them but rather can this happen from this site as well ? Should I be concerned ?
    Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Treedin:

Understood, thank you for the additional information. It really sounds like you should wait for their reply in this case. Let us know what you find out and we will be happy to help you switch over to 1Password once you have gotten to the bottom of this :)

• Treedin
    Treedin
    Community Member

If I was a paid subscriber with 1Password, using the same laptop from the same location, and later at some point and time they didnt recognize my IP address, would they block me from gaining access to my vault and/or this forum ?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Treedin:

No, 1Password would not block you in that case: as long as you have your login information (email address, Master Password and Secret Key), you will be able to login to your account.

• Treedin
    Treedin
    Community Member

Now that is great news ! Because that is exactly what happened to me at LastPass with their help forum, and in another instance I couldnt access my vault as well. And all this because they say my IP address is different from what it really is. Im just confused and concerned.
    Thanks again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Treedin:

I am sorry to hear that, but I hope you will manage to get to the bottom of that as soon as possible. Let us know what we can do to help :+1: :)

• Treedin
    Treedin
    Community Member

So Im really not sure what to do at this point. I talked to Verizon tech dept for over 2 hours and they went through many different settings and they said there is no reason what so ever that my IP address should be any different. However, LastPass says it has changed. Verizon did tell me that if I was to click the link in my email from LastPass and accept the new IP, then they suggested to enable a (2FA?) multi-factor sign in security, if LastPass offers it and I believe they do, then I should be fine.
    Thanks again for the help. I guess that I will continue with LastPass for today. I will make my final decision sometime Monday. I really dont like excepting an email that has a different IP address that cant be explained, but...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Treedin:

Thank you for the update. I can't see how enabling 2FA would help with your IP changing, but then again, this is something that LastPass support can help clarify for you. Let us know what you find out if you wish, and best of luck with your decision :+1: If you are ready to switch to 1Password, you know where to find us :)

This discussion has been closed.