Heard great things about this program, been frustrated ever since I got it

fmartins
fmartins
Community Member

Recently my email was compromised after research found 1password. I was in. Followed all instructions and still have issues: Running PC, Win 10 & 2 androids, Chrome, Family package

1) Downloaded the extension to chrome; Within chrome wife and I have different profiles. The extension worked on my profile but not on hers (Looking for app, i believe its the error), asked to download desktop we did, still not working on her profile. Since we are in a family plan does she need her own master key? Will she have to punch it in every time we switch profiles?

2) Conflict between fill in forms from chrome; I did the whole export passwords to 1password, do I need to delete all chrome saved PWs? I cannot for the life of me turn off auto fill-ins in chrome.

3) Do I use the suggested PW from 1password or the chrome suggested? Since chrome log in was actually 1password suggested?

I have never had to put in a password so many times in my life (master key).

Sorry, I am somewhat an amateur at these things, I'm trying to secure all passwords in my family I just can't seem to find a way to make 1password work for us.

Thank You

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @fmartins! Welcome to the forum!

1) Downloaded the extension to chrome; Within chrome wife and I have different profiles. The extension worked on my profile but not on hers (Looking for app, i believe its the error), asked to download desktop we did, still not working on her profile.

Can you please let us know the exact version of the 1Password browser extension that you have installed in Chrome?

Since we are in a family plan does she need her own master key?

Yes :+1:

Will she have to punch it in every time we switch profiles?

Yes.

2) Conflict between fill in forms from chrome; I did the whole export passwords to 1password, do I need to delete all chrome saved PWs? I cannot for the life of me turn off auto fill-ins in chrome.

We have a support article that shows you how to do this:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

If you use 1Password, we recommend doing this exactly so there is no more interference between 1Password and the built-in password manager in your browser.

3) Do I use the suggested PW from 1password or the chrome suggested? Since chrome log in was actually 1password suggested?

Always the 1Password suggestion: as per your previous question, you should disable Chrome's password management features :+1:

• fmartins
    fmartins
    Community Member

@ag_ana Thank you for the reply. So I was able to delete all my passwords from chrome and now only 1password pops. Thank you!

I downloaded version 1.20.0.

Now wifes master key won't even log her into the Extention. I guess having the same browser with different profiles is an issue? Extention works fine with my profile.

• fmartins
    fmartins
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

Just to clarify when i mean profiles....It shows her pic on top right corner, and when i log in i click on pic and change the profile to mine which you can see on bottom...maybe, having 2 browsers on could cause the issue..?

Thank you and sorry for silly questions.

• fmartins
    fmartins
    Community Member

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@fmartins:

Just to clarify when i mean profiles....It shows her pic on top right corner, and when i log in i click on pic and change the profile to mine which you can see on bottom...maybe, having 2 browsers on could cause the issue..?

I see a couple of issues in your screenshot:

• While it looks like she has her own browser profile setup correctly, she has the companion browser extension there. The companion browser extension is different from 1Password X, and connects directly to the 1Password desktop app. If you both want access to 1Password in each of your profiles, you need to make sure you install 1Password X there.
    • The desktop app can either be connected to your account, or to her account, not both at the same time, which is why she cannot unlock it: it probably has your account information in it.

So you have two solutions:

• You use 1Password X in both browser profiles, without the desktop app
    • If you want to use the 1Password desktop app in addition to the browser extension, separate browser profiles won't be enough, and you will need separate user accounts on that PC, so each of you can have their own separate 1Password app, extension and browser.

The second one is probably the best option, but in case you want to keep using a single user account on the PC, only one of you can use the desktop app, and the other will have to use 1Password X.

• lucasskluser
    lucasskluser
    Community Member

Hello, @fmartins

I have never had to put in a password so many times in my life (master key).

You can set security configs in 1Password X settings, including when the 1Password X will be locked.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

That is correct, thank you for chiming in @lucasskluser :+1:

• fmartins
    fmartins
    Community Member

thank you @ag_ana for all the assitance I was able to set it up and everything!

@lucasskluser thank you

• On behalf of Ana you're most welcome. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.