Sharing an item with more than one other person, but not ALL family members

David_RMR
David_RMR
Community Member

Hi.

I'm finding it difficult to see how I can do this easily.

Let's say I want to share a NetFlix password with two kids, but not the third.

• Each of the three kids are on my family plan.
  • There are three separate shared vaults, with each kid authorised to their vault only.
  • There is also a shared vault that the whole family has access to.

If I want to give two of the kids the NetFlix item what do I do?

• If I copy it to each kids shared vault then if I change the NetFlix password I need to update 1Password twice (easy to forget).
  • If I put it in the 'Family Shared' vault then the third kid gets it (I don't want this).

Do I need to create yet another shared folder for Kid 1 + Kid 2 and put it there?

This makes the management of items difficult and will lead to duplicates and redundant items as time passes.

Is there a way to create items that are aliases, or link back to a single 'source of truth'. That way I can put the link in each kids shared folder and when I update the source of truth item (in my Private vault) then the next time they use their Netflix alias item it'll use the new password (via the link back to the source of truth)?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

1Password Version: web (via Chrome)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @David_RMR! Welcome to the forum!

Do I need to create yet another shared folder for Kid 1 + Kid 2 and put it there?

This is what I was going to suggest, yes :+1:

Is there a way to create items that are aliases, or link back to a single 'source of truth'. That way I can put the link in each kids shared folder and when I update the source of truth item (in my Private vault) then the next time they use their Netflix alias item it'll use the new password (via the link back to the source of truth)?

Not at the moment I am afraid.

• David_RMR
    David_RMR
    Community Member

OK. Thanks for your response. Please could that be added to the roadmap

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@David_RMR:

I can certainly pass your feedback to the team :+1:

This discussion has been closed.