Feedback on the UI / UX of the Safari Inline Menu

Comments

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

Also, something else I have experienced and seen mentioned elsewhere, is that the 1PW inline popup sometimes obscures the SMS 2FA codes popup provided by Safari, or the popups are overlaid. This autofilling of SMS 2FA codes is one of my favourite Mac/iOS features and saves so much re-typing of codes.

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member

I don't really think that a third-party app should try to dictate how users should use first-party features. In my opinion they should complement them, work seamlessly alongside them and enhance them. They shouldn't require you to completely disable them, especially when the third-party app isn't able to fully replicate all the features the first-party has (such as the SMS 2FA codes).

• Thanks for the feedback @snozdop.

Ben

• Duane Williams
    Duane Williams
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

What do you mean by "not a supported configuration? What I'm asking for is the option for it to work the way it did just before this latest change! If you think this change is a good idea, fine; just make it optional. What used to be a 1 keystroke fill in with 1P is now a 3 keystroke operation.

• @Duane Williams

We don't support using the browser's password management capabilities alongside 1Password:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser | 1Password

Adding a preference is a fairly high bar but we'll continue to monitor feedback on this. :+1:

Ben

• @snozdop

Yes, we've discussed that here. Please try to avoid posting the same feedback in multiple places. Thanks!

Ben

• Hi all,

I've merged a few different threads on the same subject so that we can keep the feedback on this together in one place. My apologies for any disjointedness that may appear to cause in the above conversations.

Ben

• Duane Williams
    Duane Williams
    Community Member

The original 1P was just perfect. Helped create good passwords and remembered them. Was activated to fill them in with 1-keystroke, the user's choice with a reasonable default. Otherwise, stayed totally out of the way. Apple's autofill is better with the fill in portion (0-keystrokes), but not better with managing a large database of passwords and related info. I hope 1P is not going to make me choose which to keep. That's a losing proposition for a 3rd party. All Apple has to do is spiff up the password management feature.

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member

@Ben

I've merged a few different threads on the same subject so that we can keep the feedback on this together in one place.

The feedback of mine that you've merged in here had nothing to do with Safari Autofill. It was on a completely different subject about the visual appearance (size, layout, dark mode) of the 1PW popup and a suggestion on the unlock functionality. Now it's going to get lost in a different topic.

Also, I didn't post the same feedback in multiple places. The post you linked to simply made reference to a post of mine from 8 minutes earlier.

• Duane Williams
    Duane Williams
    Community Member

@Ben , I did try turning off 1P in the Safari Preferences. That caused 1P to send me a notification telling me to turn it back on! Could 1P please just get out of my way and let me use it when, and only when, I want to?

For the moment, I have reverted to 1P version 7.6. Works great.

• @snozdop

These two posts appear to be making the same point.

My apologies if I've misunderstood.

Ben

• leicaman
    leicaman
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

I've been having the same issue with 2FA fields. This big massive pop up appears suggesting log-ins, and I understand why it can be confused. Maybe you could follow Keychain Access's lead here and put a tiny indicator at the end of the field that 1Password is available if I want to invoke it, instead of this big thing getting almost in the way of doing anything, and blocking the submit button, sometimes completely.

I'm using Catalina 15.6.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing your thoughts as well @leicaman, I have added your suggestion to the internal discussion :+1:

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member

Some more feedback on the Safari inline menu I've noticed:

1. There's a slight, but noticeable delay between the menu of suggested logins, and the icons associated with them drawing. Empty outline icons briefly flash up, before the content of the icons fills in. It would be less jarring if everything drew at the same time.

2. With the inline 1PW login popup or menu of suggested logins visible, if you accidentally slightly scroll a Magic Mouse or Trackpad while the cursor is over the input field, the menu disappears requiring another click to make it re-appear. This is inconsistent with similar system menus.

3. The position of the main 1PW window where you enter the Master Password jumps around depending where within the blue Unlock 1Password button is clicked. Even though this window has the typical triangle menu anchor at the top, it frequently isn't anchored to the place you click, especially if the login window appears at the bottom of the screen pushing the top upwards. It just looks strange when the anchor isn't actually anchored to anything.

• tullera
    tullera
    Community Member

I would also favor a preference to turn off the inline menu, it interferes with the SMS codes, and while I have moved most of my logins to 1password, there are still some I go to all the time that I rely on Safari auto-filling. Lastly, it tries to popup in forms where I don't want it that aren't passwords, for example I was filling out a shipping address on UPS.com and it popped up my login to auto fill the ZIP code and email address fields of a customer. I know I can choose "Hide on this page" but then I can't use it to fill in my actual login. Also, I did accidentally choose "Hide on this page" but now can't figure out how to undo that to send a screen shot.

Anyway, I get what you're going for, replicating the built in behavior, but it would be great to have this be an option. Especially since I'll bet that most users don't have AutoFill turned off.

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member

This implementation is so in-your-face. I think the user should barely have to think about the application, and when the user does need to interact with it, it should not get in the way. Instead of being of seamless tool being invoked only when needed, 1Password is actually an obstruction with this design.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@snozdop:

1. There's a slight, but noticeable delay between the menu of suggested logins, and the icons associated with them drawing. Empty outline icons briefly flash up, before the content of the icons fills in. It would be less jarring if everything drew at the same time.

I haven't noticed this so far, but now that you brought this up, I will keep an eye out for this in my daily usage and see if I can reproduce this :+1:

1. With the inline 1PW login popup or menu of suggested logins visible, if you accidentally slightly scroll a Magic Mouse or Trackpad while the cursor is over the input field, the menu disappears requiring another click to make it re-appear. This is inconsistent with similar system menus.

I see the same behavior here. I understand why it would be like this (if you scroll, it might mean that you are not interested in that login form on that page anymore), but I also see your point. I am not sure which one of the two options would be best as default.

1. The position of the main 1PW window where you enter the Master Password jumps around depending where within the blue Unlock 1Password button is clicked. Even though this window has the typical triangle menu anchor at the top, it frequently isn't anchored to the place you click, especially if the login window appears at the bottom of the screen pushing the top upwards. It just looks strange when the anchor isn't actually anchored to anything.

Can you give us step by step instructions to reproduce this? So far, I have not managed to notice any difference, so I wonder if it might have anything to do with a specific website.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tullera:

Lastly, it tries to popup in forms where I don't want it that aren't passwords, for example I was filling out a shipping address on UPS.com and it popped up my login to auto fill the ZIP code and email address fields of a customer.

If you notice any website where this is happening, please report them to us and we will be happy to take a closer look at why a website is making this happen ;) Do you happen to have a direct URL to that website, so we can test it?

I know I can choose "Hide on this page" but then I can't use it to fill in my actual login. Also, I did accidentally choose "Hide on this page" but now can't figure out how to undo that to send a screen shot.

If you quit 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password, you can undo your choice.

Anyway, I get what you're going for, replicating the built in behavior, but it would be great to have this be an option. Especially since I'll bet that most users don't have AutoFill turned off.

This is one of the reasons why we officially recommend to disable the built-in password manager in the browser. We can see if there is anything we can do, but there is just so much we can do if that feature is left enabled in general.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@verdi1987:

This implementation is so in-your-face. I think the user should barely have to think about the application, and when the user does need to interact with it, it should not get in the way. Instead of being of seamless tool being invoked only when needed, 1Password is actually an obstruction with this design.

Sorry to hear that you are not liking it! But thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us :+1:

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member
    1. I haven't noticed this so far, but now that you brought this up, I will keep an eye out for this in my daily usage and see if I can reproduce this

Just a follow up - after more testing it doesn't do it every time the menu is drawn - possibly 40% of the time. If you repeatedly click away and then re-click it you may notice it do it on some subsequent re-draws. It may just be the speed of my Mac - a 2012 Mac mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

1. Can you give us step by step instructions to reproduce this? So far, I have not managed to notice any difference, so I wonder if it might have anything to do with a specific website.

It does it with any website for me. Here's a link to a full HD video demonstrating the issue: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7dhvmdrsx5e7o9w/1pw.mp4?dl=0

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@snozdop:

Just a follow up - after more testing it doesn't do it every time the menu is drawn - possibly 40% of the time. If you repeatedly click away and then re-click it you may notice it do it on some subsequent re-draws. It may just be the speed of my Mac - a 2012 Mac mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

Now I am not sure if I am really seeing this, or if I am imagining things :D I don't think it's noticeable, but I will keep testing.

It does it with any website for me. Here's a link to a full HD video demonstrating the issue:

Ah I see now what you meant! Thank you for the video. I will let a developer comment on this specific one :+1:

• MacChester
    MacChester
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

Hello,

i noticed two things:

1. if 1pass is locked and i do the keystroke to unlock it i have two login windows for the same action.
    2. sometime 1pass(Mini) is unlocked and the inline 1pass wants to unlock.

Screenshots attached

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MacChester:

if 1pass is locked and i do the keystroke to unlock it i have two login windows for the same action.

This I believe is the normal behavior: when you click on the unlock button in the Safari extension, it calls the 1Password desktop app. If you have Touch ID enabled, the prompt for Touch ID has always been in its own separate smaller window.

sometime 1pass(Mini) is unlocked and the inline 1pass wants to unlock.

Are you able to consistently reproduce this?

• MacChester
    MacChester
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

@ag_ana

This I believe is the normal behavior: when you click on the unlock button in the Safari extension

I do not click the unlock button. I use the keystroke for "fill login or show 1pass". (i don't know the exact name in the english version)

Are you able to consistently reproduce this?

I will test it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MacChester:

I do not click the unlock button. I use the keystroke for "fill login or show 1pass". (i don't know the exact name in the english version)

If 1Password is locked when you use the keyboard shortcut, 1Password will prompt you to unlock. So from this point of view it's the same as clicking on the unlock button manually.

I will test it.

Thank you!

• MacChester
    MacChester
    Community Member

If 1Password is locked when you use the keyboard shortcut, 1Password will prompt you to unlock. So from this point of view it's the same as clicking on the unlock button manually.

You are right - but this is not a good UI experience.. In my opinion the keystroke should do the same action as when i click on "unlock" in the inline extension.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2020

Hi all,

Regarding the SMS 2FA situation... there is actually a hidden preference that can disable the inline menu (until the 1Password button in the field is clicked). There is no granularity to this setting - it is either on or off, but it may help alleviate some frustration for those with that issue.

Quit 1Password completely (⌘⌥⌃Q), quit Safari, then in Terminal.app:

defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword7 SAEAutoShowInlineMenu -bool NO

To undo this you'd just change NO to YES:

defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword7 SAEAutoShowInlineMenu -bool YES

After you run the command re-launch 1Password then Safari. Hopefully that helps until / unless we can find a better way around it.

Ben

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

@Ben
    Thanks fo rthe terminal command, this should do it for the present time "until you folks find a better way around it"

• @Gilles9,

There will be a checkbox in preferences that controls that setting and a couple others, probably in the next beta.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MacChester:

sometime 1pass(Mini) is unlocked and the inline 1pass wants to unlock.

I spoke with a developer about this. It turns out that this is a known issue that we have filed internally already. There is a bug a Safari (which we already reported to Apple, and got confirmation back) that prevents the extension to communicate properly with 1Password for Mac. This happens on the first load after the extension process starts, and apparently Safari kills the extension process when it's idle, so this makes the behavior visible more than once.

This also seems to be fixed on Big Sur, so hopefully it will be addressed soon :+1:

ref: projects/sae-inline-menu-and-brain/-/issues/73

This discussion has been closed.