Please describe best method for updating passwords online with 1Password 7

I know that AgileBits thinks this is easy and straightforward. If that's true, I'm doing something wrong.

What happens to me is that the password is saved with no username in a new account listing and the next time I go to the website it goes to the old login with the old password. The fact that the password only stays in memory for a limited amount of time has frequently made the problem worse. I've just created a new password for YouTube four times, because I found the process so clumsy and unintuitive. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Please describe the best method for updating passwords online with 1Password 7. Thank you

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Catalina
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:best way to save new passwords changed online

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jmassengale!

This is our recommended approach to change passwords with 1Password:

Change your passwords and make them stronger

What happens to me is that the password is saved with no username in a new account listing and the next time I go to the website it goes to the old login with the old password.

After you change the password on a website and submit the information, does 1Password popup for you asking if you want to update the current Login with the new password?

• jmassengale
    jmassengale
    Community Member

No.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jmassengale:

Thank you for the confirmation. What version of the 1Password browser extension are you running?

• jmassengale
    jmassengale
    Community Member

4.7.5.90 on Chrome. I don't know on Safari, but the result is the same. It was Chrome I used today.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jmassengale:

If you see the same behavior in two separate browsers, it could either be a problem with the specific website, or it could be a 1Password setting. Can you open 1Password Preferences > Browsers tab, and make sure that the option Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them is enabled?

• jmassengale
    jmassengale
    Community Member
    edited August 2020

That was checked. This has been happening for years. I sure wish you would reinstitute phone support. A week has passed and we are no closer to a solution.

Today, the Safari extension won't open. The App Store confirms I have the latest extension.

• jmassengale
    jmassengale
    Community Member

I have uninstalled the Safari extension and reinstalled. I've restarted Safari a couple of times. The icon is in the Safari menu bar but it won't open.

What do I do? I have the latest Catalina, the latest Safari, the latest extension, and 1Password 7.6

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @jmassengale ,

You might want to restart Safari and 1Password so that the extension can work properly:

1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit 1Password Completely".
    2. Quit your browser by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open your browser and test if the extension works when you click on it.
This discussion has been closed.