Apple Watch to unlock MasterPassword?

Comments

• Thanks @wizard86pz. We'll continue in the new thread. :+1:

Ben

• I'm assuming the Mac mini 2018 and later will support watch unlock?

It depends entirely if the Mac has a Secure Enclave, which would come on a T1 or T2 chip. From Apple's guide on the T2 chip it does appear the 2018 Mac mini does have one. If that's true, then yes, it will support unlocking 1Password with Apple Watch.

About the Apple T2 Security Chip - Apple Support

I've been enjoying it on my 2018 MacBook Air but sadly my 2015 iMac doesn't have the required hardware. Time for a new one. ;)

Ben

• @BrokenHope the answer is yes. the 2018 Mac mini is supported.

• @Ben iMac Pro, mac mini or Mac Pro, or one of the Touch ID MacBook(Pro)s.

• @rudy Time for a Mac Pro then must be. ;)

Ben

• anshulmengi
    anshulmengi
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

I am on the latest beta but I can't see an option to unlock with Apple Watch:

I am using a 2019 MacBook Pro.

Thanks

• @anshulmengi,

What version of 1Password do you have installed?

• anshulmengi
    anshulmengi
    Community Member

@rudy : Here you go
    1Password 7
    Version 7.7.BETA-1 (70700001)
    1Password Beta

• r8ders2k
    r8ders2k
    Community Member

I'm curious about this, "Learn more about Touch ID and Apple Watch security."?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@r8ders2k:

I'm curious about this, "Learn more about Touch ID and Apple Watch security."?

Can you elaborate? What questions do you have in mind?

• r8ders2k
    r8ders2k
    Community Member

Since I don’t have a T/T2 enabled Mac, I’m curious as to what info the link provides.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@r8ders2k:

I am not sure I follow: what do you see when you click on that link?

• r8ders2k
    r8ders2k
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

Since, I do not have a T1/T2 enabled Mac, I cannot click the link, as I don't see that particular feature on my 2017 iMac or 2013 MBP. Thus, I was curious when I saw the image that @anshulmengi posted. I merely copied the image and highlighted the link for reference.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@r8ders2k:

You should be able to click on that link anyways. But in any case, it brings you to the article posted by vplewis (thank you for the assist :+1: ).

• r8ders2k
    r8ders2k
    Community Member

@vplewis thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• Codester
    Codester
    Community Member

So it's safe to assume if I ever wanted this feature for the foreseeable future, I would have to buy a new Mac with a T2 chip? I went a different direction for a new Mac and have this feature working in the system overall but was hoping I could use it within 1Password as well.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Codester:

So it's safe to assume if I ever wanted this feature for the foreseeable future, I would have to buy a new Mac with a T2 chip?

That's correct, the feature requires a Mac with a T2 chip.

• Codester
    Codester
    Community Member

Ugh, that is unfortunate. Thanks for the quick response.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @Codester :+1: Sorry to hear it's not the ideal solution for you :(

• Codester
    Codester
    Community Member

Yea I went the route of building an AMD Threadripper Hackintosh. It's just more power for the money that I needed in a Mac. I have Watch unlock working great in MacOS but would need an app that uses the API to unlock as it lacks a T2 chip. You guys are a great company and been using 1P for 5+ years but it doesn't work for me at this point.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

I understand @Codester, I am sorry to hear that. Hackintoshes are unsupported systems, so I am afraid we cannot guarantee all features there, only on actual Macs.

• Codester
    Codester
    Community Member

I wasn't expecting any company to support a Hackintosh and I'm aware of everything it can and cannot do compared to a real Mac. I'm not upset about this decision or upset with you as a company. No company can please everybody. I was just asking if the T2 was going to be used for the foreseeable future.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Codester:

Got it, thank you for the clarification! And thank you for the kind words!

I was just asking if the T2 was going to be used for the foreseeable future.

For the moment, I think this is indeed the case, yes.

• shahed
    shahed
    Community Member

Like @anshulmengi I too just installed the latest 1Password beta (7.7BETA-5) and don't see the option to enable Apple Watch to enable unlocking. I have a 2016 MacBook Pro with TouchID (and System Information confirms that there's a T1 security chip inside). I'm still on Mojave (macOS 10.14.6). Is Catalina required for this feature to work?

• @shahed,

Yes, Catalina is required for the Apple watch unlock feature.

• shahed
    shahed
    Community Member

Thanks @rudy. I was holding off on upgrading to Catalina due to some 32-bit apps that I still use (that are not supported on Catalina). Sounds like I have to bite the bullet since it's more important to me to get the ability to unlock 1Password using my Apple Watch! Cheers and thanks for adding this feature

• :+1: :)

Here's hoping for a smooth upgrade. Let us know if we can be of assistance.

This discussion has been closed.