Where Did Folders Go?

I know I'm a little late to the game with this, but I've been frustrated by the lack of organization via folders in 1P 7.x for a while now. Back in the day, 1P had folders that would fly out as I drilled down to find a password. Am I just not seeing an organizational function somewhere?

Thanks in advance!

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Hammerhead

Folders have been replaced with tags, which are more flexible. An item can have more than one tag, but it can only live in one folder. :) We have a guide on the tools available to organize your items available here:

Organize with favorites and tags

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Hammerhead
    Hammerhead
    Community Member

Ben, I do have tags, but they don't appear in the mini-browser (Firefox) plugin. What am I doing wrong?

• @Hammerhead

I'm seeing them in mini. If you click on 'Suggestions' near the top-left of mini, do you see them?

Ben

• Hammerhead
    Hammerhead
    Community Member

Nope.

• @Hammerhead

My apologies; I missed the fact that you said you're on Windows. I'm going to move this discussion over to the Windows category and ask one of my colleagues who works on that platform to jump in. They should be in touch shortly. Sorry for the confusion on my part.

Ben

• Tags aren't a part of a menu in mini on Windows, @Hammerhead, but you absolutely can still drill down to the tag level with search. Use tag:foo to show all items with the foo tag. I'll admit, this isn't my favorite thing in the world. In a way, I like it better than folders because I really and truly hate having to touch my mouse, but you need to type the full tag to filter properly (tag:f won't show things with the foo tag) and you have to remember your list of tags and I am personally absolutely rubbish at remembering lists of things as my recent grocery store trips can attest to. But, it does work and we do have plans in mind to improve that process along with mini in general as it's due for an overhaul for sure. I can't share any details about that now as it's still in early stages, but we're creeping up on a time we can discuss it a bit more so keep an eye out. :chuffed:

• Hammerhead
    Hammerhead
    Community Member

Yeah, that's a pretty useless function if it's not reflected in mini.

For me, the purpose of 1P is to make things easier. If I have to navigate with bookmarks in my browser and then click 1P to fill the password, I don't need 1P for that, because passwords are synchronized in FF (for free) so it rather renders 1P moot. Most users are navigating in a browser with a mouse and to take your hands off the mouse to type in tags is just a waste of time and more work. The old folder paradigm worked well, and this is a case of fixing something that wasn't broken and not replacing it with a usable substitute. You guys are better than that.

Please do get that feature back, based on tags or not. It was functional and intuitive, combining bookmarks and passwords in one place. This new paradigm makes things more complicated, which is not what I'm looking for in a password manager.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us about this @Hammerhead :+1: :) As bundtkate wrote, keep an eye out for updates ;)

The old folder paradigm worked well, and this is a case of fixing something that wasn't broken and not replacing it with a usable substitute.

Tags can do all that folders could, but they are also more flexible than folders (for example, you can apply multiple tags to one item, but one item can only go in one folder). For this reason, we believe tags are a better choice overall, so I don't expect that to change and go back to something less powerful. But we can certainly keep working on the feature to make it better and better :+1:

• Hammerhead
    Hammerhead
    Community Member

Tags can do all that folders could, but they are also more flexible than folders (for example, you can apply multiple tags to one item, but one item can only go in one folder). For this reason, we believe tags are a better choice overall, so I don't expect that to change and go back to something less powerful.

Completely on board with that!!! But the way it sits now, it's no better than using the browser. I'm surprised that you guys didn't think this through and prepare accordingly. Looking forward to an update very soon, because it's hugely frustrating the way it is now.

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Hammerhead:

I can certainly understand :+1: I am sure the team is working hard on this, and hopefully we will have an update in the not too distant future :)

This discussion has been closed.