Master password field in 1Password app doesn't have focus sometimes

Options
foobar
foobar
Community Member

After waking my Mac from sleep, I often switch to the 1Password app and unlock it. However, on some occasions (not quite sure why), the master password field in the app window doesn't have keyboard focus, so when I start typing my master password via muscle memory, I get beeps because something else in the app has the keyboard focus (the window itself?). This is annoying: if 1P is locked, I think keyboard focus should always automatically go to the password field. This is not new behavior, I've noticed it on and off since I upgraded to 1P 7 over a year ago.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: 10.14.6 (18G6020)
Sync Type: 1P
Referrer: forum-search:Master password field in 1Password app doesn't have focus sometimes

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @foobar!

Are you able to consistently replicate this? I don't believe I remember this ever happening on my machine, but if you have steps to consistently reproduce this, I would be happy to test them.

• foobar
    foobar
    Community Member
    Options

I am not able to consistently reproduce it, but it definitely happens to me a couple times a week. I think it has to do with clicking on the locked window to bring 1P to the front, but certainly that doesn't happen every time. I guess nobody else sees this?

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @foobar. I can't say I've seen other reports of this, or seen it myself, but now that I know to do so I'll keep an eye out for this. Please do let us know if you find steps that allow you to reproduce the issue.

Ben

• foobar
    foobar
    Community Member
    Options

Here were the steps just now:
    1. Wake MacBook from sleep
    2. Command-Tab to 1P app
    3. Notice that master password field does not have blinking text insertion cursor
    4. Try typing, get only beeps.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@foobar:

I have just tested these steps on two MacBooks, and the Master Password field always had focus for me when I switched to it. We can certainly keep an eye out in case we see similar reports though, and if someone is able to share steps to consistently reproduce this, we will be happy to continue testing :+1:

• PeterCook
    PeterCook
    Community Member
    Options

I have also had this happen intermittently since I upgraded to version 7. I'm unable to find a pattern.

There has been at least one report of this before in the forum. That thread was closed without any indication that the problem had been resolved.

I appreciate that solving a problem that only some people encounter (though we encounter it frequently) is no simple task. I just want to be counted as someone who has to wrestle with this.

I'm running

1Password 7
    Version 7.5 (70500003)

MacOS 10.14.6 (18G6020)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PeterCook:

There has been at least one report of this before in the forum. That thread was closed without any indication that the problem had been resolved.

Old threads are archived to avoid stale information causing undue confusion :+1:

Since the original message was posted here a few months ago, I believe yours is the only additional report that I have personally seen. I have also never had this happen to me these months, but we can definitely add you to the list of customers who encountered this. And if you find a way to replicate this on demand, by all means feel free to share the steps with us and we will be happy to test them.

This discussion has been closed.