can the vault be stored on an on-premise server and not on the devices?

The business ultimately owns everything and with BYOD's we don't want the vault on users phones or computers but would like them to use this to protect our software and equipment. Where is the vault located by default?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:vault

Comments

• Hi @PKenn

Thanks for your interest. 1Password cannot be configured to operate that way, no. 1Password data is encrypted and stored on each end point device and once encrypted is also synced to 1Password.com. It is not possible to use 1Password X any other way.

We don't currently offer an on-premise solution, however I'd be happy to let our business team know that is something you'd be interested in. We're monitoring how much demand there is for such an offering. Even with that though, the vault would still be cached on each user's device. This is a core part of how 1Password functions, and is needed so that 1Password can function if the connection to the server is unreliable or unavailable. It is also significantly faster to operate that way, and uses much less bandwidth. If the entire encrypted dataset had to be downloaded every time the user unlocked the app things would be quite a bit slower and less efficient, plus the loss of offline access.

Ben

• PKenn
    PKenn
    Community Member

Ben

i guess let them know businesses are concerned with protecting their passwords. Having it synced to 1password.com is not something we are interested in.... We will look elsewhere.

thank you

• i guess let them know businesses are concerned with protecting their passwords.

We certainly are as well. That's our whole business model. :) I understand the concern, but we've been in this business a long time, and have developed a model whereby despite encrypted data being synced to 1Password.com no one other than the client ever has the keys that would be needed to decrypt that data. That means we cannot access it either. You may be interested to read our guide about the 1Password security model, or if you'd like the technical details, our 1Password Security Design White Paper. Our security team is also at your disposal for any specific questions you may have.

Having it synced to 1password.com is not something we are interested in.... We will look elsewhere.

I hope you're able to find a solution that meets your requirements. Best of luck.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.