Upgrade 6 to 7

Hi,

I recently bought a new Mac running 10.15 Catalina. I still have my old mac running 10.12 Sierra using 1password 6. I have migrated my dat to the new computer and it's working well with a few small exceptions.

I see that the Safari extension is not supported in Catalina with 1password 6 leading me to several questions.

1. If I upgrade to a standalone version 7 on my new computer, what is the cost?
  2. If I upgrade, can I still use version 6 on my old computer which doesn't support version 7 in OS 10.12 Sierra?
  3. Can I use the same single keychain stored in Dropbox, for two different versions of 1password on two different computers?
  4. If I can do the above and I save a new password while using one computer, will it save across both 1p versions for both of my computers?

Another extension issue.
I cannot find an Opera extension to install on 10.15 Catalina? It.s working fine on my old computer on 10.12 Sierra.

Thank you

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.5.9.0
OS Version: 10.15
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @saltenberg

Thanks for your interest in moving forward with 1Password. I'd be happy to help.

If I upgrade to a standalone version 7 on my new computer, what is the cost?

We haven't advertised standalone licenses in 2+ years. At this point I really couldn't recommend purchasing or using one. 1Password membership is the way forward with 1Password. It includes access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices and greatly simplifies the sync experience. You can read more about the benefits of membership here:

About 1Password membership

And you can learn about migrating your data here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

That said, if you decide to move forward with a 1Password 7 for Mac license, the cost as of writing is $65 USD + tax (if applicable).

If I upgrade, can I still use version 6 on my old computer which doesn't support version 7 in OS 10.12 Sierra?

1Password 6 has been retired and is no longer being updated. The same is true of macOS 10.12. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. If you opt to use to an earlier version that is your prerogative, but it isn't something we can recommend. That said, licenses never expire, and so you can continue using any version you've licensed for as long as it works for you. In that case I would strongly suggest that using version 6 should be considered a temporary measure. As things continue to evolve around the now retired v6 (and macOS 10.12) it will be less and less practical to continue using it. As of right now you can indeed use 1Password 6 on one computer and 1Password 7 on another, but that could change at any time.

Can I use the same single keychain stored in Dropbox, for two different versions of 1password on two different computers?

1Password memberships don't use Dropbox — 1Password itself handles the syncing without involving a 3rd party service. If you opt to continue the standalone route, yes, as mentioned above, as of right now you could.

If I can do the above and I save a new password while using one computer, will it save across both 1p versions for both of my computers?

As long as they are both syncing to the same OPVault file in Dropbox, yes. Both 1Password 6 and 1Password 7 support OPVault, however 1Password 6 originally launched with Agile Keychain as the default sync format. The Agile Keychain format is not supported in v7. If you are using Agile Keychain 1Password 7 will convert this to an OPVault. You'd want to verify after this happens that 1Password 6 is pointed to that file.

I cannot find an Opera extension to install on 10.15 Catalina? It.s working fine on my old computer on 10.12 Sierra.

1Password X should work in Opera, however it does require a membership. 1Password X cannot be used with standalone vaults.

Ben

• saltenberg
    saltenberg
    Community Member

If I upgrade to a membership, do I still have an app on my computer where I can see all of my passwords in case the internet is down? If not, what happens when there is no internet?

Thank you

• Yes you would. :) 1Password 7 for Mac would still be your primary interface to your 1Password data, and it does work offline. While offline you can view and change your data. Changes won't be synced to your other devices while you're offline (same as now), but once you reconnect they will sync.

Ben

• saltenberg
    saltenberg
    Community Member

Thank you

• You're very welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.