1Password X extension. Set to open to suggestions but does not ....

1Password X opens with (see attache file)

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: X
OS Version: OS 10.15.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password 7 desktop app, with the 1Password X browser extension. Set to open to suggestions but does not

Comments

• Hi @mikesoneill99

I'm sorry for the confusion. 1Password 7 (which includes 1Password mini) and 1Password X are separate things, and at present they don't communicate with each other. The settings for 1Password mini (e.g. 'always open to') do not affect 1Password X's behavior. If your intention is to use 1Password mini, then you should uninstall 1Password X and instead install the "1Password extension (desktop app required)" extension:
    https://1password.com/downloads/mac/#browsers

We do have a feature called Desktop App Integration in beta for 1Password X which does enable communication between the two, but the above is probably the better solution for the moment. If you want to learn more about Desktop App Integration though additional information can be found here:

Introducing Desktop App Integration for Mac! 🎉

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• mikesoneill99
    mikesoneill99
    Community Member

What are 1Password mini and 1Password X?

• 1Password mini is what is in your screenshot in your opening post. It is a component of 1Password 7 for Mac. 1Password X is a browser extension that works independently of 1Password for Mac.

Ben

• mikesoneill99
    mikesoneill99
    Community Member

Why does the 1Password Mini keep asking me to install the 1Password Chrome extension (1Password X). I just want it to start out with suggestions.

• Why does the 1Password Mini keep asking me to install the 1Password Chrome extension (1Password X). I just want it to start out with suggestions.

1Password mini works with the "1Password extension (desktop app required)" extension, not 1Password X. If you want 1Password mini to talk to the 1Password extension in Chrome you'd need to uninstall 1Password X and instead install 1Password extension (desktop app required). You can find the latter here:
    https://1password.com/downloads/mac/#browsers

1Password X was designed to work independently of any of our desktop apps.

Ben

• mikesoneill99
    mikesoneill99
    Community Member

Is there a glossary of 1Password terms somewhere?

• mikesoneill99
    mikesoneill99
    Community Member

I'm not trying to use 1Password X. I removed it

• mikesoneill99
    mikesoneill99
    Community Member

What does the 1Password X do that the 1Password Mini does not do?

• @mikesoneill99

What does the 1Password X do that the 1Password Mini does not do?

It works independently of the desktop apps, which 1Password mini does not. Mini is part of the desktop apps. 1Password X is independent of them.

I'm not trying to use 1Password X. I removed it

Okay, thanks for the update. Did you install the https://1password.com/downloads/mac/#browsers extension?

Is there a glossary of 1Password terms somewhere?

There isn't a glossary, but all of these terms are covered on our support site:

1Password Support

e.g. Saving, filling, and changing your passwords covers the 1Password extension (desktop app required) whereas Get to know 1Password X covers 1Password X. If you're using 1Password for Mac, you want the former, at least for now. :+1:

Ben

• mikesoneill99
    mikesoneill99
    Community Member

I'm glad that you don't find this confusing. I do. I went to the page you suggested and "installed" 1P extension. I don't see anything different.

• mikesoneill99
    mikesoneill99
    Community Member

I set the 1Password Mini preferences to SUGGESTIONS. It still wants me to install the 1Password extension?????

• @mikesoneill99

I'm sorry for the confusion. We offer two different browser extensions: 1Password X and 1Password extension (desktop app required). They serve the same purpose: filling your credentials from 1Password into web pages. The difference between them is that 1Password X works independently of 1Password for Mac, and 1Password extension (desktop app required) requires 1Password for Mac. Can you please confirm the name of the extension you currently have installed in your web browser? If you're using 1Password for Mac (as you are) then you want 1Password extension (desktop app required). You can change the settings in 1Password for Mac all you want, but that'll have no effect on 1Password X, whereas it would affect 1Password extension (desktop app required).

Does that help clarify?

Ben

• mikesoneill99
    mikesoneill99
    Community Member

On the telephone this could have been cleared up in 5 minutes now I don't know how much time I have invested. The only little key lock icon is the one on the very top of the screen. Right clicking on it allows me to select preference or open 1Password etc. how do I know whether it is an extension or 1PX

• @mikesoneill99

Please install this:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-extension-deskt/aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk

And then if you don't see it in the Chrome toolbar, click on the puzzle piece icon in the Chrome toolbar to expose it. The icon at the top of the screen (in line with the clock) is for 1Password mini.

Ben

• mikesoneill99
    mikesoneill99
    Community Member

That put the keyhole icon in the browser but it doesn't do anything. See screenshot of when I click on it. Also nothing has changed on what happens when i click the keyhole icon at the very top of the screen. LONG LONG DAY AND WTF......

• mikesoneill99
    mikesoneill99
    Community Member

Why don't you have someone else at 1Password answer me.

• Hey @mikesoneill99. Now that the desktop app extension is installed, please go through the steps here:

https://support.1password.com/cs/extension-already-installed/

Let us know how it goes.

• mikesoneill99
    mikesoneill99
    Community Member

GREAT. It worked. Thank you. I have one more thing if you don't mind. I want to print out a list of all the passwords in my Personal Vault. I exported it to my Mac. The file was named data.1pif. I clicked on the file and it asked me if I wanted to import the file that I had just exported into 1Password. No option to print it. What can I do?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mikesoneill99:

There is no need to export your data if you only want to print it, you can print it directly within the app. To do so, select all items that you want to print, then right-click on any one of them and select Share > Print from the menu that appears.

• mikesoneill99
    mikesoneill99
    Community Member

That did not work. Print was grayed out.

• mikesoneill99
    mikesoneill99
    Community Member

Is there some way to print the data.1pif file?

• mikesoneill99
    mikesoneill99
    Community Member

Never mind. I see that I can select a .csv file format. Thank you. Mike

• @mikesoneill99 you can also select all your items and then go to File > Print. This will result in a printout that might look a little bit cleaner than printing a CSV file. :smile:

• mikesoneill99
    mikesoneill99
    Community Member

That is true but it came out to a 60 page document

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

In that case, we do hope that the CSV file served you better, although it might look rather messy so make sure you arrange it as you'd like before printing it out :chuffed:

• mikesoneill99
    mikesoneill99
    Community Member

OK Thanks. Long Live 1Password !!!!!!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @mikesoneill99 :) And on behalf of ag_yaron, you are welcome!

This discussion has been closed.