Master password vs vault password

ssperling
ssperling
Community Member

HI, I am the main person on 1Password account so I have the master password, but it seems it is also the password I need to use to sign into my 1password account to open the vaults. Is there a way to have the master and another password to open the vaults on the phone/computer app etc?

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OSX 10.14.6
Sync Type: icloud

Comments

• Hi @ssperling

I am the main person on 1Password account so I have the master password

The Master Password is unique for each person. If you invite someone to join your membership they will have a unique Secret Key and will choose their own Master Password.

but it seems it is also the password I need to use to sign into my 1password account to open the vaults. Is there a way to have the master and another password to open the vaults on the phone/computer app etc?

This is not possible, no. Would you mind sharing what your concern with the current behavior is? Thanks!

Ben

• ssperling
    ssperling
    Community Member

Thank you for the information. When I went to the site today it says the passwords were compromised so I went to reset it to something harder but then I couldn't get myself back into my vault. I was just wondering if there was a way to have 2 different passwords 1 for your website where all info secret key, profile, etc is located and 1 for my apps on my computer, phone, etc.. Thank you again for getting back to me.

• Gotcha. Thanks for the additional information @ssperling. The only way the password for the app(s) could be different from the password for https://my.1password.com/ would be if you have a 'standalone' vault in the app. This would not be a setup that we'd recommend.

To clarify: the sitaution you currently find yourself in is that you can sign in on the website, but not in the apps? If that is the case, are you able to see all of your data when you sign into the website? If you do, then you can reset the app and sign back into your account. With 1Password for Mac this would be done using the Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data menu.

Ben

• ssperling
    ssperling
    Community Member

Ok great, thank you for your help.

• You're very welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.