1Password using invalid password logging in to Fidelity Investments

I can log in to my Fidelity Investments accounts if I copy (from 1Password) and paste my password but I receive the Fidelity login message "The username or password is incorrect" when I use 1Password Autofill (my username is getting entered correctly). The 20 character password includes plenty of upper and lower case letters, numbers, and valid (to Fidelity) special characters. 20 characters is Fidelity's max. My 1Password is ver. 7.6.778 installed on up-to-date Windows 10. My FireFox browser is 79.0 and the 1Password browser extension is ver. 1.20.0 1PasswordX. Also, sometimes 1Password enters the previous old password for Fidelity.
I'm relatively new to 1Password and somewhat confused by so many complexity but have over 200 logins and the system has been working well for me generally. Fidelity is the only website where I've noticed this problem. Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.6.778
Extension Version: 1.20.0
OS Version: W10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:incorrect passwords being entered

Comments

• Hey @fidlerjim. The fact that you mentioned sometimes the old password is filled makes me wonder one of two things:

1. Is there maybe stale data in that item in 1Password somewhere? If you recreate a brand new login with the proper info does the new login work?

2. You don't by chance have the browser's built-in password manager still turned on, do you?

• fidlerjim
    fidlerjim
    Community Member

I just now looked at my login in the app, extension and mini and all three show the same new correct password so the problem of stale data seems to have fixed itself. Login using autofill still fails. Earlier today I did find one time where one showed the previous password and another the newest password. Synchronization problem? I've never saved any passwords in any browser and the feature is off.
    Another strange thing... My wife's Fidelity login has a random 20 character password and 1Password autofill works fine, so far. I've tried several different passwords on my login and can repeat the failure on my account. For as many times as I tried it, a short, simple 6 character password worked properly with autofill. It's crazy. Haven't run into this problem on any other website.

• It's possible there's some old data saved in the web form details, which are details we don't normally expect users to edit, so they don't show by default. Could you try saving a new login as I mentioned above, just in case? As long as the password is correct and within their length constraints, Autofill should be filling the correct password.

• fidlerjim
    fidlerjim
    Community Member

OK, I trashed my old Fidelity login and added a new one with another random, complex 20 character password. I was able to use autofill to login successfully two times in a row. Hopefully my problem is fixed for now. Was my problem due to design/programming within 1Password or due to the Fidelity website?
    I'm having another less serious problem within 1Password but since it is unrelated to autofill I'll search for a solution and/or start another discussion.
    Thanks, Jim

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@fidlerjim:

OK, I trashed my old Fidelity login and added a new one with another random, complex 20 character password. I was able to use autofill to login successfully two times in a row. Hopefully my problem is fixed for now.

That's great to hear! Thank you for the update :)

Was my problem due to design/programming within 1Password or due to the Fidelity website?

As ag_michaelc wrote, it sounds like you had old data in your old Fidelity login item, perhaps created a long time ago on the website. If the website changed in the meantime, this could happen in certain cases, and creating a brand new Login item usually helps.

This discussion has been closed.