Feedback on the UI / UX of the Safari Inline Menu

Comments

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

@rudy
    "There will be a checkbox in preferences that controls that setting and a couple others, probably in the next beta."

that is even better
    Thank you

• :+1: :)

Ben

• DrSFG
    DrSFG
    Community Member

So my question is, what time frame do you expect the next beta? I'm fine if it takes awhile, because if this is a definite, I would rather wait than use the command line to get the result then have to change it again once the change is implemented. The reason being is that when a new update pops up it doesn't ask me to implement the update. It just does it, and that could interfere with subsequently removing the original command line after the fact(?)

• @DrSFG

I don't have an estimate on the next beta update, though I wouldn't expect it to be terribly far away.

Ben

• DrSFG
    DrSFG
    Community Member

Thanks. In that case I'll wait.

• jbergstroem
    jbergstroem
    Community Member

I am not a fan of this at all. It feels intrusive, it takes over my input behavior by autofilling, stealing focus, removing screen space and doesn't allow me to feel like "I'm in control" of my browser any longer. Having used this for roughly a week, my feedback is: If this is the path of the extension, I can no longer be a user. Sorry.

• kamthamc
    kamthamc
    Community Member

I kind of hate the new update to the extension overlapping the safari autofill suggestions. I would prefer safari over 1Password for non password type fields. And I have some passwords just in Apple key chain and it's frustrating to dismiss 1Password/keychain. Please add a preference to disable/just show for passwords.

But I love the update to extension though like suggestion.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7.BETA-1 (70700001)
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 10.15.6
    Sync Type: iCloud

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2020

@DrSFG

:+1:

@jbergstroem

Thanks for letting us know your thoughts. It is possible to hide the inline menu until you click on the 1Password icon in a field. More details on that can be found here.

@kamthamc

While we don't support using Safari's password manager alongside 1Password, and there are known conflicts, the advice I offered just above may be of some help to you. Generally our recommendation is to turn off the built-in password manager in your browser, but you may want to try hiding 1Password's inline menu until activated to see if that works better for you.

Ben

• kamthamc
    kamthamc
    Community Member

Thank you Ben for the quick response. My Problem is the little password icon covers the key icon in the text field (right side). And the 1Password popup shows up without even clicking the 1Password icon on the right. I will try to override the settings as provided in the comment.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@kamthamc:

As Ben said, we do not support leaving both 1Password and Safari autofill enabled at the same time. If you would like to do this regardless, you will have to disable the setting manually for now.

• r8ders2k
    r8ders2k
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

@Ben Thanks for the Terminal command, love it! But why does the Unlock 1Password show up? As you have to click that before you get to the actual unlock field. Why not just go straight to the unlock field? Oh and yes, please add that Terminal command to 1Password's Preferences.

• Oh and yes, please add that Terminal command to 1Password's Preferences.

We're working on it. :)

But why does the Unlock 1Password show up? As you have to click that before you get to the actual unlock field. Why not just go straight to the unlock field?

I believe at least part of the answer here is that for folks with Touch ID / Apple Watch unlock enabled ... that would be a less than ideal experience. I'll check with the team and see if we can get more details though.

Ben

• @r8ders2k

I spoke with the team and have a better understanding of why we can't put the Master Password field where you see the "Unlock 1Password" button. The problem is that button is part of the website you're viewing (it is injected into the website by 1Password). If we were to have the Master Password field there, then any scripts running as part of the page could snoop on your entry. Also, because of this, any web page could make a popup that looks just like our popup. If you're used to entering your Master Password in such a popup... that leaves you open to phishing.

Ben

• r8ders2k
    r8ders2k
    Community Member

@Ben Copy that, thanks!

• You're very welcome. :)

Ben

• rwa
    rwa
    Community Member

The preference to disable this in 7.7b2 is great. Thanks.

• We're glad to hear you found it useful. :chuffed:

• r8ders2k
    r8ders2k
    Community Member

@Ben Quick questions, do I have to re-use the Terminal command [ defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword7 SAEAutoShowInlineMenu -bool NO ] each time a new beta is released or is it remembered/carried over to the next update?

Also, if I choose to hide the in-line icon

How do I bring it back...?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@r8ders2k:

The setting should remain valid even after an update.

To show the inline menu again on a page where you previously hid it, it's enough to quit 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password.

• ckarthik17
    ckarthik17
    Community Member

The new inline feature feature is amazing, is it possible to have that for Firefox and Chrome also?

I do not use 1Password X (which already has this feature), as I use both Safari and Firefox at the same time. So I am using the normal 1Password add-on to have same unlock and shortcuts across browsers

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2020

Hey @ckarthik17

That may be possible in the future, though I couldn't make any promises yet. :) Thanks for the kind words!

Ben

• Julio Bouza
    Julio Bouza
    Community Member

I think the time has come to disable the plugin in Safari for 1Password until this popup goes away. It has gotten to the point beyond annoying. Regardless if a user leverages Safari Keychain or not, this darn thing shows up for any field [password related or not] getting in the way all the time. 1Password really should stop bringing this pop up automatically and go back to how it used to be not having this come up constantly in every field and let the user determined when to use by bringing it up using right mouse click. Very very very extremely annoying.

• @Julio Bouza,

To continue to be able to use mini and fill in safari you'll want to leave the extension enabled, but turn off the inline menu option on the 1Password Preferences' browser tab.

• @ckarthik17,

The inline menu will not be coming to the existing "desktop application required" extensions.

• Julio Bouza
    Julio Bouza
    Community Member

@ckarthik17 AHHH Thanks G-D ROFL. Didn't notice that. I was looking for an option on the Extension side in Safari vs the preference on the app. I am less annoyed now lol. TY. This darn thing has been driving me nuts SIGH.

• @Julio Bouza

Its great to hear you found the tip helpful.

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member

I must admit, I actually quite like the inline menu, but, I have noticed there are a number of websites where it doesn't work, and the Command and Backslash combination is more reliable in that regard...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback @gussic! If you found websites where the inline menu does not behave as expected, please feel free to open separate discussions here in the forum and share the URLs there. We are happy to test websites and see if there is anything we can do :+1:

• GadgetComa
    GadgetComa
    Community Member

I haven't seen this mentioned here and sorry if it is elsewhere, but here goes...

First, I do like the new inline menu. On the few occasions I use Firefox with 1Password X, I also wish I had a similar feature in Safari. My question is whether it's possible for the inline menu to allow me to search for a login to use for a site. There are situations where the site isn't associated with the 1Password entry (I do this on purpose some times). In these situations, I can't use the inline menu. Perhaps it's a limitation of the browser, but I hope not.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@GadgetComa:

The inline menu only shows items where the website field matches the current URL.

There are situations where the site isn't associated with the 1Password entry (I do this on purpose some times).

Can you give us a couple of examples? Perhaps we can suggest a different approach if we know your use case.

This discussion has been closed.