Narrow Firefox Window and Cursor Location When Entering 1Password Master Password

I often have my Firefox browser window narrowed to its minimum width to allow me more space for the window of an application I am working in, entering data from a site displayed in Firefox.

I have noticed that when I use the Firefox browser extension to initially authenticate to 1Password, the cursor does not appear in the 1Password window but rather in the browser's address/url window. I sometimes don't notice this in time an end up typing in my 1Password password which the browser dutifully sends off to the internet as a search string.

It strikes me that a bad actor who might have compromised my default search engine (DuckDuckGo) would see that a computer with such and such an IP address has entered this nonsense phrase several times over the past week and deduce that it is a password.

I don't know about the behavior of other browsers or platforms other than Mac. But I wanted to raise this issue within the forum to see if there's a cause for worry and to flag the issue as a possible bug. I can't tell you that exact pixel width at which this behavior is triggered other than it consistently occurs with the latest version(s) of Firefox and its narrowest width on my Mac.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 1.20
OS Version: OS 10.15.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020

Hi @sjtaffee!

I managed to reproduce this behavior in Firefox, so I will open an internal issue for our developers to look at. Let's see if there is anything we can do here :+1:

Thank you for the report!

ref: dev/core/core#2286

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@sjtaffee:

I have just tested this again and this is not happening anymore in the latest version of the 1Password browser extension. Can you confirm that all is working fine for you too? For reference, we tested with version 2.0.5.beta of the extension.

This discussion has been closed.