1Password 8 and questions about 1Password 7

Quintain
Quintain
Community Member
edited July 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I'm considering to update 1Password standalone to v7. My question ist: should I wait for 1password version 8? When will it be released? Or ist there e.g. a one year period of a free upgrade from v7 to v8?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Quintain!

We don't have any updates to share about 1Password 8 at the moment, or its pricing and upgrade procedure. Therefore, I suggest that you upgrade to 1Password 7 for the moment if you are interested in it :+1:

• Quintain
    Quintain
    Community Member

Ok. I just bought it. And now my first problem: how can I change the backup directory (e.g. to my USB-Stick). In V4 this was not a problem. Also setting the frequency. Can you please help me. Thanks a lot.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Quintain,

It is not possible to change the backup location in the current version of 1Password 7 for Windows, sorry for the inconvenience. At the moment, you should be able to use your backup tool to backup your 1Password backup folder instead. The directory is %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\backups

As for the frequency, if you enabled sync for your standalone vault, it will be backed up daily and monthly. Up to 30 daily and 24 monthly backup files are kept (see this info in 1Password 7 for Windows > Settings > Backups).

Let me know if it helps. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Quintain
    Quintain
    Community Member

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately it helps not really. I want my vaults (which works of course) and backups on my secure USB-Stick. Now my vault is on the secure AES246 Stick but the backups on C. This is unfortuately a step backwards in security. Can I install 1Password on the stick and then the backup is also on the stick or always on C in %localappdata%?

• Quintain
    Quintain
    Community Member

Next problem: it seems there is no more syncronisation via my iphone App over wlan. Just standalone...

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@Quintain: Sorry for the ongoing confusion!

Can I install 1Password on the stick and then the backup is also on the stick or always on C in %localappdata%?

There is no portable version of 1Password that you can install on a stick. As we continue to add more advanced features and more integrations, the portability aspect becomes less possible, so we have no plans to make one right now. If you use a local vault in 1Password 7 for Windows, your backups are always stored in %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\backups.

Next problem: it seems there is no more syncronisation via my iphone App over wlan. Just standalone...

At the moment, 1Password 7 for Windows supports syncing to our 1Password membership service, Dropbox, and folders that you can sync yourself to other PCs. We never had a WLAN Server sync in 1Password 7 for Windows and we are not planning to bring it back. Please check this reply from Dave in our forum on this matter.

1Password membership accounts is the best way to use 1Password right now, so if you have any questions or security concerns, please let us know. We will be happy to answer them. Thanks!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.