UX issue: "copy" password indication moved *far* from action - gets lost

esquared
esquared
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I believe a change with 1PBeta 7.7 (perhaps this existed earlier), that I think is for the worse. The UX indication that you have successfully copied a password moved from immediately adjacent/at-cursor to the bottom of the window. When the window is small, that might not be an issue, but I recently expanded the vertical height of the window to be able to see more, and then moved the bottom of the window off the bottom of the screen. I repeatedly clicked "copy" because I was not seeing the feedback that was far away from the user action. This is, IMO, a bad UX design decision. Any chance it could be reversed?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7.BETA-1 (70700001)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020

Hi @esquared!

I personally like the change, but I wonder how big your screen is? I tested this on two computers with different screen sizes (13 and 15), with 1Password at full screen, and the message is still very noticeable here, especially because of the dark background that spans the entire column.

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

My primary screen is a 32", 4k display (6400 x 3600), so it's quite large. Though, to be honest, I think that's only half the problem. While I acknowledge that if the 1P window (full app, not mini in menu bar), is short, the distance between the action and the feedback is small, it's still non-zero. If the distance is larger, say because I extended the height of the window, the distance between action and feedback grows. Finally, if, as I did, I move the bottom of the 1P window off the bottom of the screen, there is NO visible feedback - it's off screen entirely.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@esquared:

Thank you for the additional information! I will see if I can manage to test this on a bigger screen. In the meantime, we can certainly wait and see if we receive similar feedback from other users about the positioning of the message :+1:

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member

I agree with @esquared. You actually have to move the focus of your eyes to see it. It was better when the notification was adjacent to the action. I'm on a 27-in. iMac.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this too @verdi1987 :+1:

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member

This is still bugging me. If you are using 1Password on a large screen and the application is sized somewhat largely, your eyes don't focus on the top (where the password is) and the bottom (where the "copy" notification is) at the same time. Anyway, I had an idea. Perhaps the selection highlight when you click the password could be a more noticeable flash. It flashes very subtly, which is almost unnoticeable, especially in dark mode. I think that is probably controlled by the OS, but the dark grey background in dark mode of the username and password section makes the highlight almost imperceptible.

Or you could just go back to how it used to be.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2020

Thank you again for the suggestions @verdi1987! We will certainly continue monitoring the situation :+1:

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

So, any news from the design team on this issue? I, like verdi, really find this change frustrating. I routinely leave my 1P window open on the side in a very tall, slender aspect ratio, so the "copied" indicator is often very far removed from the action.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@esquared:

I don't think we have any updates yet. This is the only discussion about this change so far if I am not mistaken, and since it was brought up by only two of you so far, I think we will wait for some more feedback :+1:

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

Without trying to sound disrespectful, I think that is a misinformed approach to dealing with UX design issue. Many people will suffer silently with a bad design, only to be turned off by the product. In this case, I think the idea is to move the copy indicator to a fixed location has some merit, but I'm going to guess that nobody really thought about the use case when the window is large or partially off screen. In both those case, the user may miss the indication, either because it's far away from the action, or completely obscured.

For the record, I'm not just talking from personal opinion --- in my past I did research with NASA on interface design and one of the key features was to always ensure the right information was presented in the right form, in the right place, at the right time. Granted, that's for life-and-death, mission critical stuff on the Space Shuttle, but the same approach should be taken to all software, in my opinion.

I encourage you to take this feedback back to the design team and suggest they experiment in different window configurations (tall, in particular). If all developers are just on portables, then I'm going to guess many will dismiss the idea, which is a shame, since not all users are in that configuration.

• Hello! Thanks a lot for your feedback, it's always good to hear what our users think of changes and adjustments we make.

I completely understand that on larger screens there can be a disconnect between the location of the two elements. It's something we have to balance when it comes to a simple confirmation of a transparent action such as copying - we want to let you know that yes, it did happen, but we also don't want it to be too intrusive so that your information or workflow is obstructed every time.

It's something we are definitely exploring and have had this discussion already internally so we are taking this into consideration.

One thing I would like to note is that this is a completely new interaction as part of the new item details view in v7.7, and previous versions of this view have no form of confirmation when you copy a field.

Thanks again for you feedback and please let us know if you have any other thoughts! :)

Robbie Pearce
    Senior Product Designer @ 1Password

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

So, any chance the position of the confirmation is going to move back where it was? Apparently I'm in a minority, at least of people vocal enough to express frustration, but what's the harm in putting the notification nearer to the action which causes the notification?

This discussion has been closed.