To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Total confusion to upgrade membership

Tchit
Tchit
Community Member

Hello,
I am completely lost with the process to get a working and up to date 1Password. I have bought a standalone version years ago. Last time I wanted to use 1Password on my Mac, I was met with « read only » on all my passwords (couldn’t add and change passwords). I don’t like being forced to buy something I already bought but ok.. When I enter my email address to create an account to buy a subscription, they say the email is already used.
When I try to connect, they ask for a secret key I don’t have. I don’t have a password because I dont remember creating an account and there is no way to reset the password.

So: how do I buy a subscription? Why is this so complicated? Thanks

Comments

• Hi @Tchit,

I'm sorry things haven't gone more smoothly. It sounds like you signed up for a trial membership at some point. If you don't have the credentials for that membership you can delete it by following the prompts here:

https://my.1password.com/support

Once deleted you can sign up fresh. Please be sure to print your Emergency Kit, which will be downloaded as part of the process, and (optionally) write in your Master Password on it. Once everything is set up the Emergency Kit should be stored away someplace safe such as a fire safe or bank deposit box. This would help prevent the situation you're in now, re: not having the Secret Key, from occuring in the future. You are correct that there is no way to reset the credentials, as that would be a vector an attacker could potentially exploit to gain access to your information. The only way into a 1Password account is with the correct credentials, making it imperative that they be stored / memorized (we recommend storing, not memorizing, the Secret Key).

As for the message you're getting... there are two reasons you might see "read only" and not be able to make modifications to your data:

1. You purchased a license for a previous version, and then installed a newer version which you are not licensed for
    2. You are licensed for the current version but installed the app from the Mac App Store, which doesn't support standalone licenses

With a membership you'd be able to use the latest versions of all of the 1Password apps on any of your compatible devices so long as your subscription is in good standing. If your subscription lapses, your account would become "frozen" (very similar to "read only") — you would still be able to see, copy, and export your data, but would not be able to add any new items or edit existing ones.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Tchit
    Tchit
    Community Member

Thank you Ben for your help. I have seen this option to delete my account but I want to know what this means for all my saved password! Does it delete all my data? Thanks

• @Tchit

It wouldn't delete any data that is stored in standalone vaults. It will delete all data stored in your account, but since you cannot access your account anyway whatever data is there is doing you little good.

Ben

• iamwillshepherd
    iamwillshepherd
    Community Member
    edited August 2020

My account got turned into a team account from a family account and y'all have billed me for annual service when I did not agree to that. I had all ready paid for an annual personal account and upgraded to a family account when I purchased a separate business account. If this sounds confusing, it's because it is. I need a full refund for the annual team fee I was charged and I need my account turned back into a family account so I can apply my credit from my business account for the free personal account.

I've been a long time user and I hope that counts for something. This has been an incredibly frustrating experience and I'm at the point of walking away from the product if this isn't resolved quickly. FWIW, all of this happened when y'all froze my business account saying I didn't have a credit card when I entered one at the time I opened the account. This freezing process resulted in my personal account being unlinked and when I tried to re-up, I wasn't given the option to purchase a family account.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@iamwillshepherd:

My account got turned into a team account from a family account and y'all have billed me for annual service when I did not agree to that. I had all ready paid for an annual personal account and upgraded to a family account when I purchased a separate business account.

I am not sure I follow: my colleague Ben suggested you delete your existing account if you forgot your credentials to it, and sign up for a new one, but it looks like you decided to do something completely different instead. You said that you converted an Individual account to a Families account, and then that you purchased a Business account instead. Can you clarify what it is exactly that you did, and why you chose this path?

In any case, we will be happy to help you with this. To avoid sharing your account information here, can you send us an email to support+forum@agilebits.com from your account's registered email address so we can continue the conversation there?

After you have sent the email (including the answers to my questions so the support person will have all the information to help you), please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• iamwillshepherd
    iamwillshepherd
    Community Member

I created a personal account years ago. This year I created a separate business account. I then decided to take advantage of the free family account that's offered to business account users by converting my personal account to a family account. My business account was frozen due to lack of credit card even though I signed up with one. Once my account was frozen, my personal account was unlinked. This prevented me from recovering my business account (it's my understanding I can do this). I don't think it makes much sense for me to delete the business account and start over. How will this impact my team? Will they lose all their passwords? Will I have to spend my time walking them through how to get set-up again?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@iamwillshepherd:

Thank you for the clarification. Have you emailed us already? Did you receive a ticket number?

This discussion has been closed.