Suggestion: Enable PIN code use when mask prevents use of FaceID in iOS

akmedia
akmedia
Community Member

The title should say it all but... When one is wearing a face mask to combat Covid-19, iOS knows and immediately asks for your unlock PIN or passcode. The problem is then when you need to authenticate quickly into another app that asks for FaceID and that fails, you are prompted to enter a password. Well, if your passwords are random and are recorded in 1PW — and you have a strong and long Master Password, that’s when the “fun” begins. If you need an app that requires password authentication because FaceID has failed — like a transit ticketing app and the conductor is now waiting for you to show a train ticket, you end up seriously holding up the works.

However, if 1Password offered an optional secondary PIN authentication into your account, provided FaceID has failed, that would speed the user’s ability to access their passwords. Since 1Password already offers this authentication method on non-biometric enabled devises, it seems like it could be offered on devises with biometric capability too.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 13.5.1
Sync Type: 1Password.com
Referrer: forum-search:face id

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @akmedia!

I found an internal discussion about this, and it seems to be a limitation of the current iOS API. iOS itself can do this and show you the passcode option directly, but it does not look like third party apps have this level of access: if 1Password is showing you the Face ID prompt, it's because iOS told apps that Face ID it's available. If it's not, 1Password will ask your Master Password as usual.

Because of this, I am not sure if there is anything we can do at the moment, but we can certainly keep an eye out for updates here :+1:

• akmedia
    akmedia
    Community Member

First, thank you so much for the very quick reply! Second, is it possible to offer optional secondary PIN authentication whether or not biometrics are available?

• @akmedia

That isn't something that is on our radar at this point, and I'm not sure how/if it would work with autofill. I can certainly ask the development team to consider taking a look at it for future planning.

Ben

• bekeg
    bekeg
    Community Member

@akmedia Just enable PIN (this disables FaceID for 1Password):

• Tap Settings
    • Tap Advanced
    • Tap Security
    • Toggle PIN Code

Then, whenever you would normally be prompted for FaceID, 1Password will demand your PIN instead.

This doesn't satisfy your criteria of "provided FaceID has failed" but it's a far more workable option during the current pandemic. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the suggestion @bekeg :+1:

• remus174
    remus174
    Community Member

At least can 1Password prompt again to try using faceID instead of just going directly to master Password. This has become a Real pain when you are out and about with a mask on. Bank apps, retirement accounts, and other high profile apps seem to offer a try-again option.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@remus174:

I don't think this is currently possible, but we can keep an eye on the developments in iOS here for sure ;)

• remus174
    remus174
    Community Member

This has nothing do with iOS developments, this is already supported in iOS Now. Bank of America, Citibank, Wells Fargo, Vanguard, Fidelity Investments, Wealthfront, ........ the list go on and on....

Please update and offer faceID retry. Set a limit to 3 then force master password.

-d

• Thanks for the suggestion, @remus174.

Ben

• nickadolph
    nickadolph
    Community Member

Just wanted to bump this thread up and say that it would be a greatly improved user experience for me if 1Password would act similarly to other iOS apps. Like said before, in that if Face ID fails it will allow for pin use as a secondary option. I’d prefer not to entirely disable Face ID for when I’m not wearing a mask, but having to revert to typing in a master password when out in public can be pretty frustrating.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback on this @nickadolph :)

• telephoneman2
    telephoneman2
    Community Member

Hey guys, during corona we are forced to use masks everywhere. My masterpassword is complex - and when I wear the mask in can only login with that komplex password - you still offer to log in via PIN which disables faceid. Can’t you change the login screen with a Simple fallback to that PIN? So when Face ID is failed it offers to enter that handy quick pin instead of master password

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@telephoneman2:

Our developers can definitely continue monitoring this, and see if there is anything we can do in the future :+1: At the moment, as I wrote in my first post above, this does not seem to be possible at the moment :(

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

I am not a developer @Naxterra, but I will be happy to send your question to them :+1: We will post back here when we have an update.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Naxterra:

I was told that there is an ongoing discussion at the moment :)

This discussion has been closed.