Confusing interface on Chrome Pop-up

bromony
bromony
Community Member

When I hotkey into Chrome (on a Mac), I see the following

This so confusing. As you can see from the attached image,
— the 1P app is live,
— the extension is in the Bookmarks bar,

and yet the pop-up (displayed when I hit the hotkeys)** Install the 1Password extension to fill passwords, credit cards, and addresses in Google Chrome along with the dialog Add 1Password to Google Chrome. **

But wait — isn't the extension already installed on Chrome? Why is it asking me to install it again? Honestly I've spent hours trying to install the extension when it is already installed. Or is it? Why does the pop-up ask me to install it?

If it's already installed, I just want to see related PW information on the site over which the pop-up is showing.

Instead, this is driving me crazy.

Can you shed some light on this — or is it just badly done?

thanks

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.6 (70600006) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 1.21.1
OS Version: OS 0.15.5 (19F101)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020

Hi @bromony!

But wait — isn't the extension already installed on Chrome? Why is it asking me to install it again? Honestly I've spent hours trying to install the extension when it is already installed. Or is it? Why does the pop-up ask me to install it?

This is because you installed 1Password X, which is our latest extension that lives entirely in the browser and does not communicate with the desktop app ;)

If you want the behavior you are describing, you should install the companion browser extension (desktop app required) instead.

• mrsmac
    mrsmac
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue as the OP. I've uninstalled the extension, reinstalled, rebooted Chrome, rebooted my iMac -- all to no avail. This has been going on for a few months, and it's really annoying.

I do NOT have 1Password X installed, I have the companion browser extension installed (per the link posted above by @ag_ana ).

1Password 7.6 (70600005) 1Password Store (subscription)
    Mac OS 10.13.6

Any help would be appreciated.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mrsmac:

If you open the extensions page in Chrome, do you only see one 1Password extension there?

• mrsmac
    mrsmac
    Community Member

@ag_ana
    Yes. It shows version 4.7.5.90, and it set to work on all sites.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mrsmac:

Thank you for the confirmation. I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• mrsmac
    mrsmac
    Community Member

I'll do that later today. Many thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good :+1: :)

• bromony
    bromony
    Community Member

There is just too much confusion about which extension is installed, which desktop app is installed. I have the "1 Password extension (desktop app required)" and the extension that immediately brings up 1P. And I have the desktop app installed and loaded and with PW.

Now the message telling me that I have to install the extension isn't popping up, but there's no more autofill on any sites. After I type my assigned command-period hotkey, it opens 1P (although which extension the pop up belongs to I don't know), and I now have to type the name of the login in and copy paste the login/pw combo separately into each field. This seems like a recent change.

All I can tell you is that when you have to identify an app or (worse) the name of an extension to the app with a parenthetical explanation ("desktop app required"), engineers have run amok and forgotten that the key to great CX is NO FRICTION. You guys are making this harder, not easier.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bromony:

Let's start with this: which extension would you like to use moving forward? Let's start by using one (you could also keep both if you wish, but it doesn't look like it's what you are looking for).

1Password X is our latest version of the browser extension, designed to run entirely in the browser without the need to install the 1Password desktop app. You can read more about it here:

1Password X

The companion browser extension is our older browser extension, the one that required the 1Password app to be installed. Because 1Password X is an exclusive for 1Password subscribers, you would use the older companion browser extension if you don't have a 1Password account, for example.

• mrsmac
    mrsmac
    Community Member
    edited August 2020

@ag_ana , diagnostic run and sent. Case number: [#XVX-19911-998]

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mrsmac:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: XVX-19911-998

• mrsmac
    mrsmac
    Community Member

@ag_ana

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome :)

• mrsmac
    mrsmac
    Community Member

All is now fixed! Many, many thanks!!!

• Thank you for the update @mrsmac. Glad to hear it worked out. :)

Ben

• bromony
    bromony
    Community Member

@ag_ana Which one is the 1PX extension? The black one or the blue/white with the lock?

• @bromony

The blue is 1Password X.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.