1passwordX vs companion app extension in Windows

Hi there

I'm currently using both the windows desktop app and 1Password X. My personal laptop is on Win 10 home and is set up for Windows Hello with facial recognition. My work laptop is on windows 7 with no facial recognition or built-in fingerprint scanner.

My phone is Android with a fingerprint scanner and I also have a personal chromebook.

The website describes 1PaswordX as "the best way to experience 1Password in your browser" however I am having to key my master password separately for the desktop app and 1Password X - and looking at other forum threads, it looks like support for Windows Hello in 1PasswordX is still some way off.

Please can you explain what makes 1password X superior to the 1Password companion app extension for my use? It feels like I would have a lot less rekeying of my master password if I were to switch to using the companion extension, with the additional benefit of being able to use facial recognition on my windows 10 device.

Is there any way I can use the biometrics on my phone to unlock 1Password on desktop?

What set-up would you recommend in order to make my 1Password workflow more efficient on the various different devices that I routinely use?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

1Password Version: 7.6.780
Extension Version: 1.21.1
OS Version: Win 7 and 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @miles_mendoza!

Please can you explain what makes 1password X superior to the 1Password companion app extension for my use?

For your use, based on what you wrote, I think the companion browser extension might still be a better option for you, if biometric unlock is important for you.

Is there any way I can use the biometrics on my phone to unlock 1Password on desktop?

I am afraid this is currently not possible.

What set-up would you recommend in order to make my 1Password workflow more efficient on the various different devices that I routinely use?

Do you have some specific ideas in mind when you say "more efficient"? Are you referring specifically to unlocking, or to something else?

• miles_mendoza
    miles_mendoza
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_ana

I think the companion browser extension might still be a better option for you

Good to know. Out of interest what features am I missing out on by using the companion app rather than 1Password X?

Do you have some specific ideas in mind when you say "more efficient"? Are you referring specifically to unlocking

Mainly thinking about unlocking, but will the companion app work on my chromebook - or do I need I need iPassword X on the chromebook and the companion app on windows?

Would I be able to use a usb fingerprint scanner to unlock on Windows 7 and/or Chromebook?

• Out of interest what features am I missing out on by using the companion app rather than 1Password X?

The biggest selling point for 1Password X, at least initially, was that it did not require one of the "desktop" apps (1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows). This meant it could run on platforms we did not otherwise support, such as Linux and ChromeOS, as well as in business environments where end-users didn't have the ability to install desktop applications. That was intended to be the biggest differentiator. That said, offering two different extensions has caused a fair bit of confusion, and there are more differences between the two than is ideal. I think the eventual goal will be for these to merge such that there is only one 1Password extension. I wish I had a more definite answer here but we are admittedly in a bit of a transition period in this regard and not all decisions have been made yet.

Mainly thinking about unlocking, but will the companion app work on my chromebook - or do I need I need iPassword X on the chromebook and the companion app on windows?

ChromeOS would require 1Password X.

Would I be able to use a usb fingerprint scanner to unlock on Windows 7 and/or Chromebook?

If your scanner works with Windows Hello then you may be able to unlock 1Password for Windows using it:

Use Windows Hello to unlock 1Password on your Windows PC

The companion extension locks and unlocks with 1Password for Windows. We do not support biometrics in 1Password X directly and as such it wouldn't be possible on the Chromebook.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• miles_mendoza
    miles_mendoza
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben. This is helpful.

ChromeOS would require 1Password X.

So, in summary, I will be best off using the companion app for Windows, and 1Password X on my Chromebook.

Next question then: Until now I have allowed chrome to sync extensions automatically across devices. Is it possibly for me to configure chrome to do a selective sync of extensions, so that it routinely syncs all extensions except 1Password X and the companion app?

Or do I need to turn off extension sync in order to use the companion app on Windows, and 1Password X on my Chromebook?

Thanks again

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@miles_mendoza:

So, in summary, I will be best off using the companion app for Windows, and 1Password X on my Chromebook.

Correct :+1:

Next question then: Until now I have allowed chrome to sync extensions automatically across devices. Is it possibly for me to configure chrome to do a selective sync of extensions, so that it routinely syncs all extensions except 1Password X and the companion app?

I am not a Google Chrome expert, but I think you can either enable or disable sync for extensions. I am not sure if it is possible to select to sync just some of them.

Or do I need to turn off extension sync in order to use the companion app on Windows, and 1Password X on my Chromebook?

It should not be a problem though: even if Chrome sync everything, you could just open 1Password X on your Chromebook and leave the other extension (perhaps you could either hide it from view).

This discussion has been closed.