Changed master password - can't login. Have Secret key

Options
GerryHeinz
GerryHeinz
Community Member

Changed password yesterday after using for a couple years. Printed out new Emergency Kit but didn't write the new password down yet. I'm sure I know it but won't log me in. Can I login knowing my secret key? I do not want to delete and lose my hundreds of saved passwords.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.15.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:login with secret key not master password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @GerryHeinz! Welcome to the forum!

Logging in just with the Secret Key is not possible for security reasons I am afraid. I am sorry to hear about this. For your privacy and security, your Master Password is not stored anywhere, only you know it. This means that it is not possible to recover it unless you are a member of a Families or Business accounts. If you have an Individual account or a standalone license, I recommend reading this article to try and recover your Master Password.

If, on the other hand, you are part of a Families or Business account, you can ask another Admin to recover your account for you.

Do you still have access to 1Password on another device, perhaps via biometric unlock?

• GerryHeinz
    GerryHeinz
    Community Member
    Options

I do have finger print access through my iPhone but it doesn't work either. So if I can't get it unlocked I need to delete the account and start over?? That's a big task so the decision won't be made lightly.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@GerryHeinz:

I do have finger print access through my iPhone but it doesn't work either.

Can you please elaborate? Is your fingerprint not recognized anymore?

So if I can't get it unlocked I need to delete the account and start over??

I am afraid that is correct, unless you manage to unlock another 1Password app with Touch ID. In that case you would be able to move your existing items to a new account.

This discussion has been closed.