Why not on Linux? [In Progress]

2»

Comments

• tomato_1
    tomato_1
    Community Member

Thanks - apologies for sounding rude - wasn’t my intention.

I love 1P7 btw - use it all day every day on Mac

Best Wishes

Tom

• While the internet can be dark and full of misunderstandings, @tomato_1, I don't you came across as rude at all. I consider us lucky to have passionate fans and with that comes a level of zeal that I suppose can be viewed as harsh by some. But, it's no simple thing to join the forum and take the time to thoughtfully share your feedback. You wouldn't do it if you didn't care and appreciate 1Password – you'd just use something else – so I take it as a compliment that you're willing to take the time to let us know your thoughts and I really do appreciate you taking the time. Thank you again, both for your feedback and your kind words. 1Password wouldn't be the app it is without the help and suggestions from our customers. :chuffed:

• crkinard
    crkinard
    Community Member

You really expect them to do linux support when they won't add support for things other than Dropbox and 1Passowrd in the iOS app?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@crkinard:

1Password for iOS also allows you to sync data via iCloud or WLAN. While we do not have plans to support additional sync methods, this discussion is quite different: as the title of the discussion says, 1Password for Linux is under consideration :)

• kkovacev
    kkovacev
    Community Member

Somewhere in previous posts is stated that percentage of Linux users is only 2%.
    Maybe one good reason for that is that you do not have native Linux app in first place :-)
    I hope that you done with "consideration" and started development :-)

• @kkovacev

I believe the statistic that you may be referring to is this one:

"In the area of desktop and laptop computers, Microsoft Windows is generally above 70% in most markets and at 77% to 87.8% globally, Apple's macOS is at around 9.6% to 13%, Google's Chrome OS is up to 6% (in the US) and other Linux distributions are at around 2%."

(Source: Usage share of operating systems - Wikipedia)

Ben

• kkovacev
    kkovacev
    Community Member

@Ben
    Yes, you are correct.
    But more interesting info for this topic would be percentage of 1pass users which login from Linux devices on to 1pass.

BR

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@kkovacev:

Thank you! I am sure that the development team will consider this statistic as well :)

• basurerito
    basurerito
    Community Member

Even the aforementioned 2% Linux users may give you a lot new subscribers.

I - as a more-than-20-years Linux user - was looking for an alternative to KeepPass local password manager (I needed to sync by myself).
    Bitwarden came into my way, and I was playing around with that. OpenSource, quite cheap premium subscription plan.

But 1password has the adavantage (among some others) that you also use European servers (located in Germany).
    That is why I finally decided to switch to 1password and I think quite a few more linux users would do so, if you provide a (native) Linux Desktop app ...

just my 2p,
    b

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@basurerito:

That is why I finally decided to switch to 1password and I think quite a few more linux users would do so, if you provide a (native) Linux Desktop app ...

Thank you for choosing 1Password, and for sharing this feedback with us too! While we cannot share any updates yet, I can tell you that this is something that we are aware of ;)

• Hi everyone.

I'm very excited to announce that there has been progress on this request. You can read more here:

1Password for Linux development preview

We'd love to hear from you over in our new Linux Development Preview forum category. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.