1password for Chromebook/ChromeOS/Linux

koalalorenzo
koalalorenzo
Community Member

Hello!
I have been using 1Password since my very first Mac, and during these years, I have always loved it! (And I still do).
Sadly, I have discovered that there is no version for ChromeOS / Chromebook or Linux. I have noticed that the new "online" website ( http://my.1password.com/ ), allows you anyway to manage and see everything from a browser, but it is still not like having a full experience on the Mac.

Please don't forget about us, I can see that other people already requested something like that... I know I am not the only one out there with this problem, and I REALLY don't want to use other competitors/products just because of this huge lack.

Do we know if there are any rumours of a "native", offline working, ChromeOS app?

AgileBits Update, 6-Jul-2017:

Hello everyone! We've started beta testing a new addition to our 1Password family: a brand new Chrome extension made especially for our Linux and Chrome OS users! To learn about how you can be invited to this private beta testing, please see this announcement:

A Present for Chrome OS and Linux Users

Cheers! :smile:

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member

Hi @koalalorenzo , I read something last week, that the Google Play Store is coming to Chromebooks.

Here are two links for you:
    Google Chromebook Blog
    and
    News from PC World

Your waiting days may soon be over.
    I hope these are the rumours that you were looking for?

Cheers,
    Rob

• koalalorenzo
    koalalorenzo
    Community Member

So, what you are talking about is a workaround... using the Android app.
    I don't think that it is the same. What I am talking about is a ChromeOS app, since I am pretty sure that the Android app will not be able to provide the same experience that I have on the mac. Instead a simple ChromeOS App will solve this problem, not just for the Chromebooks but also for Linux. The android App just sucks as an idea IMHO.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@koalalorenzo: We don't have any plans to develop a ChromeOS app. That could change in the future, but I don't want to get your hopes up in the mean time. We're continuing to make improvements to the 1Password.com web app though, so if there are specific features you'd like to request there, it's possible we can add those in a future update. Ultimately we want it to be as good as the native apps as is possible, and that helps everyone with a modern browser, not just ChromeOS users. Cheers! :)

• koalalorenzo
    koalalorenzo
    Community Member

@brenty , thanks for this BAD news. I am really feeling the lack fo that app that is able to compile the forms/login with the press of a button. 1Password had been a serious helper, but I don't really know what to do on the Chromebook. I am trying to use 1password.com, but I can't log in with one click, and I wish I could just simply connect the 1password extension to 1password.com instead.
    But I can't and I don't know what to do, since I have super-long and generated passwords, and now I do see the big problem of using 1Password only. And it sucks badly!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@koalalorenzo: I don't know, it seems to me more like a lack of good news than bad news. I guess I'm a "glass half full" guy. :lol:

I agree that it would be awesome to have 1Password EVERYWHERE, but that isn't possible at this time. We can't do everything, even if we want to. We're a small team, and we need to focus our resources where they do the most good for the greatest number of people...and for now ChromeOS is still not quite near the top of that pile. And I think some Linux folks when faced with this discussion might react with "Get in line!" as that's a platform with some passionate users who would also love to get 1Password. :blush:

It's definitely a drag to have an awesome tool that isn't "with you" all the time, whether that's 1Password or the Wi-Fi hotspot I keep forgetting at home... Hopefully we'll be able to grant your wish in the future, but I didn't want to get your hopes up that this is something we'd be offering soon. Thanks for letting us know this is important to you, and for understanding that for the time being the answer is "not now".

• wmwolf
    wmwolf
    Community Member

I understand that developing and maintaining a Linux version of the desktop app would be very costly without servicing that many more users.

However, I get most of the utility of 1Password on Mac and Windows through the nifty browser extensions. Seeing as the only simple way to use 1Password on linux after the untimely death of 1Password Anywhere is to use the web app (and the accompanying subscription), most remaining linux users are already storing their data directly with agilebits. Would it be possible to make a turbo-charged, standalone extension (i.e. not dependent on a running desktop app) that communicates with 1password.com directly?

I can live with adding/editing logins on the web app, and, in fact, I couldn't even do that before switching to the subscription plan. But now that agilebits controls the storage and distribution of my information, it seems that filling in login, credit card, and personal information via copying and pasting from the web app seems needlessly laborious.

Throwing this bone to Linux users would go a long way in repairing the trust fallout after the flaming dumpster fire that was the 1Password Anywhere debacle. Heck, maybe the money I spent on the standalone licenses for Windows and Mac before being strong-armed onto a subscription could go to the development of said extensions... and it would benefit all platforms since all would get upgraded extensions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Would it be possible to make a turbo-charged, standalone extension (i.e. not dependent on a running desktop app) that communicates with 1password.com directly?

@wmwolf: Great question! Possible? Probably. It isn't something we're able to do right now for the same reason we aren't able to offer a Linux app, but it's something we're exploring. The tough thing is that a standalone browser extension would really only benefit subscribers (since it would need to get the data from somewhere, and that would almost certainly mean 1Password.com). While I think the web app is great and I get a lot of use out of it myself, I agree that it is a far cry from the full 1Password experience we're used to with the app + extension combo. Definitely worth considering.

• teamnoir
    teamnoir
    Community Member

We used to be able to read the vault on any machine with a browser. That was useful. I understand that that functionality was insecure and that when the insecurity was found, it was pulled. However, that's critical functionality for a lot of us.

That there is no solution for platforms other than the big two, and that this previous functionality which has now been lost will not be replaced, those are all very BAD news for many of us.

• @teamnoir Not all is lost, my friend. :) As the original poster and a few others in this thread have mentioned, you can now use 1Password.com, which has even more functionality than 1PasswordAnywhere did. It does require a subscription, but if it's worth having around for you guys I'm sure it would be a welcome addition. You're welcome to give it a try yourself, and you can get 6 months free if it's just you. If you'd like to sign up the team, or bring on board the folks who need web access, feel free to email us at support@1password.com with your current setup so we can help out.

• teamnoir
    teamnoir
    Community Member

a) it requires a subscription.
    b) it means someone other than me has access to my data
    c) it's not available from behind playpens.

So, no, it's not available and doesn't solve any problem I need solved.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@teamnoir,

Accounts on 1Password.com do require subscriptions as there are ongoing costs associated with making the service sustainable. We know how much pain the loss of 1PasswordAnywhere has caused, and it would really suck to have 1Password.com go away due to an unsustainable business model. (Or — much worse — a business model that involved advertisers or venture capital funding. Yuck!)

No one has access to your data but you, though. What is stored on 1Password.com is essentially an encrypted blob that is completely useless without both your Master Password and your Account Key, which is a brand new feature for 1Password.com accounts. There was no way were were going to host sensitive data without making sure it was infeasible for an attacker to make use of anything they would ever get from our servers. I mentioned this in one of my other replies to your post in another thread:

1Password accounts all have an additional, non-optional factor to keep your account secure. We call it the Account Key, and it's a 128-bits random string of letters and numbers. It is combined with your Master Password to harden the encryption. It is impossible to decrypt the data without the Account Key, and 128 bits is uncrackable in the age of the known universe. Learn more about the Account Key.

It sounds like the "playpen" may be the biggest issue, though, presuming you mean that there are corporate restrictions in place that prevent you from accessing 1Password.com where you need to. We'd love to get more details, though. We've worked with several companies to make sure they understand that use of 1Password helps increase security. Often, they simply need some technical details and are happy to allow access once the requirements are made clear.

Of course, ultimately, none of that may matter if you just prefer not to have an account on 1Password.com.

• teamnoir
    teamnoir
    Community Member

Sure, "a" is a preference. But "b" and "c" still stand.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Considering your preference on (a), I don't think that any amount of explanation of (b) or assistance with (c) will help. But I'd be happy to continue the discussion if you'd like. It would probably be better to stick with email, so we can keep the conversation in one place, though. No sense in making you jump all over the forum looking for replies to different threads. :)

ref: ENW-49967-992

• Hi everyone.

I'm very excited to announce that there has been progress on the request for a 1Password for Linux app. You can read more here:

1Password for Linux development preview

We'd love to hear from you over in our new Linux Development Preview forum category. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.