7.7 beta issues with safari

dtoub
dtoub
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Two big issues I'm finding and that others to some extent might be reporting:
1. In Safari, the 1PW extension windows often won't disappear including in Edit mode. When that happens (and it's unpredictable as to if it happens), there is no close button on the window and I have to quit 1PW completely. See attached screenshot. At the same time, clicking the 1PW browser extension closes the main 1PW window for a split second then it reappears. At best, I have to click the web page content to get 1PW to disappear.
2. The new password filler in Safari often interferes with the ability to use an iCloud Keychain password. TBH, there are many times when it's faster to use iCloud-you click and it fills and that's it. With 1PW, you often have to log in. I tolerate stuff like that on iOS although it's often painful, but in macOS on Safari it is really onerous. The previous functionality was much better in my opinion.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7.BETA-1 (70700001)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @dtoub

Thanks for the report.

The new password filler in Safari often interferes with the ability to use an iCloud Keychain password. TBH, there are many times when it's faster to use iCloud-you click and it fills and that's it. With 1PW, you often have to log in. I tolerate stuff like that on iOS although it's often painful, but in macOS on Safari it is really onerous. The previous functionality was much better in my opinion.

I understand the opinion, but our official position continues to be that we cannot support the use of multiple password managers in a single browser. We recommend that you turn off the built-in password manager in your browser | 1Password.

In Safari, the 1PW extension windows often won't disappear including in Edit mode. When that happens (and it's unpredictable as to if it happens), there is no close button on the window and I have to quit 1PW completely. See attached screenshot. At the same time, clicking the 1PW browser extension closes the main 1PW window for a split second then it reappears. At best, I have to click the web page content to get 1PW to disappear.

I have not seen that myself, but I will definitely keep an eye out for it now! :) Thanks.

Ben

• dtoub
    dtoub
    Community Member

Thanks. But I guess what I don't understand is why things are changing to not support iCloud Keychain when that was not a big issue before, and in many cases it's honestly easier and faster than the 1PW browser extension. It might be at some point that I have to turn off 1PW in Safari and I don't want to do that because it has, as you know, many advantages. But for many use cases it is not as fast or convenient.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2020

But I guess what I don't understand is why things are changing to not support iCloud Keychain when that was not a big issue before, and in many cases it's honestly easier and faster than the 1PW browser extension.

Just to clarify: this isn't a change. We've recommended turning off other password managers to avoid conflicts for years. Unfortunately conflicts have existed for that long... this isn't the first. :(

It might be at some point that I have to turn off 1PW in Safari and I don't want to do that because it has, as you know, many advantages. But for many use cases it is not as fast or convenient.

Understood; thanks!

Ben

• sgratz
    sgratz
    Community Member

I agree with @dtoub; I too like the flexibility, efficiency, and speed in using both 1Password and iCloud Keychain password. This recent change now interferes with my ability to choose consistently. As a result, I disabled the 1Password Safari extension. As a user, this feels like a step backward for 1Password.

• @sgratz,

If you're wanting to fill in Safari, you're better off leaving the extension turned on and disabling the inline menu via the Browser preferences in 1Password.app.

This discussion has been closed.