How do I clear the generated password history in the extension?

I just noticed that the extension maintains a history of all generated passwords.

I'm assuming they're stored locally as I can't seem to access them from other devices.
Either way, how can I clear them en-masse? Is there are an option to not store the history?

I presume there's some benefit to this feature since from my pov it just seems like unnecessarily increasing the attack surface

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do I clear the generated password history in the extension?

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2020

Hey @123janus123 ,

The generator keeps the history of generated passwords as a failsafe, and it is a very important failsafe. Sometimes users don't save a newly generated password after they used it on a website, so this is where they can find the generated password and regain access to their accounts.

Our desktop apps also have that failsafe where they save newly generated passwords as "Password" items in the app itself.
    There's currently no way to clear the generator's history as far as I can recall, but I'll forward it to the team and see if this perhaps can be filed as a feature request.

As for the security aspect - your generator's history is well protected via your 1Password.com account, just like the rest of your data. It does not stand at a higher risk level and does not affect the risk level of the rest of your data.

Thanks for bringing this up! Let me know if you have further questions.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

P.S.

I forgot to mention that while you can't delete all of the history in a click of a button, you can definitely delete specific passwords from the history by hovering over them, clicking the ">" arrow on the right and selecting "Remove".

• 123janus123
    123janus123
    Community Member

thanks for the clarification; no issue with keeping passsword histories

i was concerned since the collated view of generated passwords could only be found in the firefox/chrome extensions and not the other apps => made me worried that it was stored locally to the extension on said computer

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @123janus123 ,

The generator history is stored in your 1Password.com account, and if you install 1Password X on another browser/computer, you'll see the exact same history there. It is not locally stored in the extension :)

Thanks for bringing this up! I have filed a feature request to be able to clear the history. Although I'm not certain our developers will consider it, it's still worth bringing up, so thank you.

This discussion has been closed.