Separate Vaults for Work/Home

Options
north_maple
north_maple
Community Member

Hi there,

I just migrated over from version 6, where I used to have 2 separate vaults synced with Dropbox.

One is located only on my home laptop and a second located on my work laptop.

The way it was set up, that on my home laptop I synced both home/work vaults and on my work computer I only synced my work vault.
Meaning there was no way to access my home vault on my work laptop.

Right now I switched to 1Password account and I am not able to create a similar setup. I can only "uncheck" vaults in settings, but the personal vault is still located on my work laptop. What should I do in this case? I would love to keep my work and personal life separate.

Thanks

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @north_maple

I can only "uncheck" vaults in settings, but the personal vault is still located on my work laptop.

I'd be happy to help with that.

I'm not sure I understand how this is practically different from the previous setup. Wouldn't both vaults be accessible in your Dropbox account from either computer previously? Would you mind elaborating on what problem it is that you're trying to solve here? It would seem from a security perspective there is minimal if any difference... someone who would have the ability to go into 1Password on your work laptop and check the box to enable the home vault would've also been able to go into Dropbox's settings on that same laptop and sync the home vault over?

The supported solution for true separation would be to have two separate 1Password accounts: one for work, and one for home. Both accounts could be part of the same membership if desired so long as you use a different email address for each. Having them as part of the same membership would require a membership that supports multiple accounts (i.e. 1Password Families, 1Password Teams, or 1Password Business). If you went that route you'd use the built-in Private/Personal vault as your 'home' vault, and then use a shared vault for your work items. You could then invite your work email to join your membership as a guest with access to only the shared work vault: https://support.1password.com/guests/

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• north_maple
    north_maple
    Community Member
    edited August 2020
    Options

Hi @Ben,

Let me try to explain further. I have a personal Dropbox account in which a shared folder was created. That folder is shared with my work Dropbox account.

That shared folder contains .opvault file with my work-only vault items.

Meaning my work laptop can only access that vault and no other ones, but my home laptop and even my phone can access both home and work vaults without any problems.

I thought of enabling a standalone vault option, but to be able to use the software I have to log in with my 1Password account. Before I used a regular license.

• Ben
    Options

Let me try to explain further. I have a personal Dropbox account in which a shared folder was created. That folder is shared with my work Dropbox account.

I see. Yes, the supported solution here would be similar: two separate accounts, one with access to both vaults and one with access to only the work one.

I thought of enabling a standalone vault option

That would not be a path that I'd recommend, though it is indeed available if you decide that is what will work for you in this case. One of the main reasons we don't recommend this is that it can end up causing confusion with the Master Password because of the way the 1Password apps unlock.

Ben

• north_maple
    north_maple
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben, but how can I activate the software and use standalone option at the same time? I really don't want to pay the full price for a separate license just to sync vault. I am a long-time customer and this seems like a downgrade, rather than upgrade from version 6

• Ben
    Options

@north_maple

Both accounts would be part of the same membership — I'm not suggesting an entirely separate / full price situation. If you decide to go the standalone route you can find that option in 1Password > Preferences > Advanced, labeled "allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." Again this is not a direction that we would recommend. It is an 'advanced' preference for a reason. :) I'd strongly suggest considering the recommended route, which would be multiple accounts within the same membership. For further assistance on that I'd encourage you to reach out to our billing team at support+billing@1password.com and include a link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/115014/separate-vaults-for-work-home#latest

Thanks!

Ben

• north_maple
    north_maple
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben, again, what you suggesting isn't going to work.

For example, on my home side, I'll sign-in to my 1Password account and enable the standalone vault option, but on my work side, I only need to activate the software, which will stay on "Trial" if you don't sign-in or enter serial number.

If I sign-in, we're back to square one, as I only need to open my work .opvault located on Dropbox.

So, again, how can I activate my 1Password app for Mac without signing in?

Thanks

• Ben
    Options

I'm sorry but I think you've got it backwards. You'd need to sign into your account to activate your software. So in this case, if you were going to go the route you're proposing (which again is not recommended) — you'd store your work data in your account and your home data in a standalone vault. Then you'd only enable standalone vaults and sync the home vault on the home devices.

Ben

• north_maple
    north_maple
    Community Member
    edited August 2020
    Options

@Ben

Ok, if I do this not recommended way, the downside is that I won't have access to my home data on the web, because it will be stored separately. Defeats the purpose of having a subscription.

The recommended way is too expensive for me. I've already spent $$ going from standalone version 6 to subscription.

Do you know if the current standalone license will work the same way as before with Dropbox?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@north_maple:

Do you know if the current standalone license will work the same way as before with Dropbox?

If you mean if 1Password 7 also supports vaults synced via Dropbox, then yes :+1:

This discussion has been closed.