How to update 1Password if "the item “1Password 7” can’t be moved to the Bin because it’s open"

Options
Vera
Vera
Community Member

Hi, I was trying to update 1Password on my Mac, but every time an error occurs - "Unable to Close "1Password 7" The update for "1Password 7" couldn't be completed". Apparently system counts 1Password as an already opened app. I look through similar situations/ questions, they say I need to delete the app and to install a new one. But I cannot do so, as another error occurs: "The item “1Password 7” can’t be moved to the Bin because it’s open". I generated a 1Password Diagnostics Report (I don't have a ticket number, but I have time.date - August 7, 2020 at 12:14 PM). Please kindly help me out) thanks

1Password Version: 1Password 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Catalina 10.15.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

@Vera,

I'm not seeing any emails from you in our inbox (i.e. no diagnostics report), but I'd be happy to help with this situation. Please try these instructions:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Open and then quit 1Password completely — ⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q)
    3. Drag 1Password to the Trash, but DO NOT use a "cleaner" app to remove 1Password if you have one (MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, AppZapper, etc)
    4. Empty the Trash
    5. Restart your Mac
    6. Install 1Password from our website: Download for Mac
    7. Open 1Password
    8. Make sure the extension is shown and enabled in Safari under Preferences > Extensions (do not click "More Extensions")
    9. Verify that you're able to use the extension to fill logins

Let me know how it turns out. :)

Ben

• Vera
    Vera
    Community Member
    Options

thank you! I did as you wrote, but unfortunately, it doesn't help - cannot drag 1Password to the Trash.
    Maybe I should switch off extensions and quite Google Chrome too?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Vera:

Quitting Google Chrome should not be necessary, it's possible that 1Password mini is still running in your menu bar. Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and see if you can proceed now?

• Vera
    Vera
    Community Member
    edited August 2020
    Options

what is 1Password mini?
    Anyway, what finally just helped me was to open 1Password, then on the menu bar at the top left of my Mac screen > Force Quit > select "1Password" application.
    ("Command Option Control Q" never worked). And then I managed to delete the app and to install a new one. thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Vera:

It's the little 1Password icon that runs in your Mac menu bar:

And then I managed to delete the app and to install a new one. thanks.

Thank you for the update! That's great to hear :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• Vera
    Vera
    Community Member
    Options

wow! thanks, never new it is called a 1Password mini :) thanks a lot!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are very welcome @Vera :)

This discussion has been closed.