Feature request: Autocomplete username for new login entries

It would be very helpful if 1Password could autofill/autocomplete the username field when manually creating new logins. I often find myself typing out my email address in full when 1Password already knows it.

This could be based off the usernames of other logins, ranking suggestions based on past frequency, e.g. I'm creating a new login. I have 20 existing logins with john.doe@example.org as the username and 10 with john.doe@example.com. john.doe@example.org is the first/default suggestion and john.doe@example.com is the second suggestion.

Usernames could also be suggested based on email address or username fields under Identity entries in 1Password. The preferred source(s) of the suggestions could be configured in settings.

Suggestions could look like one of the following and could be implemented in 1Password X and desktop clients:

Autofill style. j is typed and the remainder is completed. Or, the highest ranking suggestion could have been autofilled without having typed anything.

Editable dropdown style.

1Password Version: 7.6.780
Extension Version: 1.20.0
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @lukejjh

That's an interesting feature request! Thanks for taking the time to write to us about it.
    I'd like to discuss it with you a bit further, if you don't mind, to clarify a few things.

The first thing that I'd like to ask you is why are you creating new manual logins? Why are you not saving/recording these login credentials directly from the login page of the website they belong to? On the login page itself, you can autofill your username using an identity item (if 1Password X doesn't already suggest that automatically), and you can easily let 1Password collect and record all the fields automatically. So what makes you want to take the long road and manually create these logins?

• lukejjh
    lukejjh
    Community Member

I suppose I just like having full control over the creation of the entry. Letting 1Password create entries from account registration pages often results in website URLs looking something like https://example.org/signup?horrible-url-cruft=1 and the title may end up looking something like "Sign up" or "Example – Sign Up". A wrong URL could result in open and fill not working. It's possible I'm just letting my OCD get the best of me.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@lukejjh:

Thank you for the additional information, that helps! :)

• grmccann
    grmccann
    Community Member

Would love this too. Often end up in this scenario when buying something on an e-commerce site, i.e there is not really a registration form.

You are asked to create a password at the end of checkout to associate your order with an account so you can login later and track or earn rewards etc. Although I tend to use the suggested password to create the password (doesn't always work as my defaults seem to be more strict than some sites allow) often then involves going into 1Password and typing out the email I've used for hundreds of other logins. Don't get me wrong 1st world problems :p but Luke suggests everything is available would be a nice little addition.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and support @grmccann! :+1:

• StigO
    StigO
    Community Member

This would also be very useful on phone and tablet. I often create new logins on such devices after installing apps that request the creation of user accounts.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2020

Unification across apps and platforms is what we're currently working on, @StigO .
    Hopefully all of our apps will be identical on all platforms soon enough :)

This discussion has been closed.