Why do I have 2 master passwords

Options
JamesY
JamesY
Community Member

I just reset my master password, completely deleted 1Password and reinstalled. And yet my old master password still works. Any ideas?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JamesY!

Do you maybe have an old Primary vault on this device? The way 1Password unlocks is:

• If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

So it's possible that you have an old vault in the app, and that's why you are seeing this.

• JamesY
    JamesY
    Community Member
    Options

sounds good. What's the easiest way to make the iphone, macos and web master passwords agree?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JamesY:

If you have a Membership, and you are syncing your data on 1Password.com on all your devices, you should remove the Primary vault from your devices. This will make your 1Password apps require your Membership Master Password to unlock, and not the Master Password of your old Primary vault.

• JamesY
    JamesY
    Community Member
    Options

That's it. Thanks to you and to the kind support who emailed me directly with an answer. Just so you know, 1password saved me yet again from a phisher who wanted 1000 usd. I had to change all my bank paswords and 1pass let me do it in about 5 minutes.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JamesY:

Thank you for the kind words! I am glad to hear that 1Password helped you :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.