SSL error on iPad

Options
thebbikins
thebbikins
Community Member

I sent a request for support earlier today ([#SZP-38314-615]) about a syncing problem involving my two Apple devices and my use of 1Password.com (or 1PasswordX--I'm still not sure about the naming). I have figured out that I am still syncing to Dropbox on my iPad and a iPhone, though on my desktop, where I use Windows and the 1Password browser extension, I'm syncing to your cloud--or so I understand. So I thought I would just set up 1Password on my iPad.

I entered all the requested information, including the secret code, on the app in my iPad. But I got an SSL error. I have looked through some of the dicussions of that error elsewhere on the forum, but I'm running into a wall and I would like some help. Please!

Thank you--
Thebbikins

1Password Version: 7.6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thebbikins!

Make sure that the URL you are entering in the Sign In Address field starts with https:// ;)

• thebbikins
    thebbikins
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Ag_Ana,
    Thank you for coming to my rescue again! (Actually, I had used the https:// but I seem to have neglected a dot somewhere in the address :| ;) )

Now I have another question. Or two. Or more.

1. When I look at my vaults on the iPad app, I have two: my "Personal" Vault" on 1Password, and my "Primary" vault in Dropbox. I have set "Vault for Saving" to Personal. That seems like the right choice if I want everything to be saved to 1Password.com. Correct?
    2. I notice that the app is still automatically syncing every few seconds. Is it supposed to do that? --And what is it syncing to, at this point?
    3. Is there a reason to keep my Dropbox-syncing "Primary" vault? (I feel nervous about deleting it, though I realize it will become obsolete pretty quickly.)
    4. When I go to Settings/Vaults, I see that I can add a new vault. I have not paid for family access, so I'm assuming that this would be just some other vault of my own. What use would a new vault be? I gather that some people create a separate "work" vault. Does doing that then require additional steps to access passwords?
    5. Can you explain the purpose of having both the desktop app and the browser extension? Or send me to something to read about that, if that's easier?

I think that's it for now. I appreciate your help, once again.
    Thebbikins

• thebbikins
    thebbikins
    Community Member
    Options

--Oh, I think I see the answer to question #5 right in the app. I'll meditate on that one! ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@thebbikins:

When I look at my vaults on the iPad app, I have two: my "Personal" Vault" on 1Password, and my "Primary" vault in Dropbox. I have set "Vault for Saving" to Personal. That seems like the right choice if I want everything to be saved to 1Password.com. Correct?

Correct. When you use a 1Password account, we also recommend removing the old Primary vault from your devices, so you don't have duplicates :+1:

I notice that the app is still automatically syncing every few seconds. Is it supposed to do that? --And what is it syncing to, at this point?

Yes, 1Password data sync automatically. Even if there are no changes, the app will still check to make sure you always have the updated version of your data.

Is there a reason to keep my Dropbox-syncing "Primary" vault? (I feel nervous about deleting it, though I realize it will become obsolete pretty quickly.)

If you made sure that everything is in your Personal vault already, there is no need to keep the old Primary vault around. You won't need any additional sync methods if you use 1Password.com to sync your data ;)

When I go to Settings/Vaults, I see that I can add a new vault. I have not paid for family access, so I'm assuming that this would be just some other vault of my own.

Correct.

What use would a new vault be? I gather that some people create a separate "work" vault.

Anything you want, really: a lot of people use a separate Work vault, or an Archive vault to store old credit cards and login items which you might not want to delete. You can create as many as you like depending on how you like to organize things, there is no right way to do it.

Does doing that then require additional steps to access passwords?

No, all vaults would be inside your account, and by default they will all be shown in All Vaults view, the default one.

Can you explain the purpose of having both the desktop app and the browser extension? Or send me to something to read about that, if that's easier?

Without the browser extension, 1Password would not be able to fill your data in the browser. You would then have to copy and paste items from the desktop app and the browser login forms, so things would be much more manual. You can read more about it here:

Save and fill passwords on the web

• thebbikins
    thebbikins
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you ver much, Ag_Ana. I suppose my remaining question is why I need the desktop app at all, since I have the browser extension? --Or does the browser extension require the desktop app? No biggie, though; just wondering. Thanks again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@thebbikins:

The main desktop app allows you to do everything, while the browser extension allows you to do certain things, most of them related to filling. For example, in the desktop app, you can export data, move items between vaults, create new vaults, see your Watchtower report, select multiple items etc. It depends on what you need to do really.

• thebbikins
    thebbikins
    Community Member
    Options

Got it! Many thanks for your clear explanations.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @thebbikins! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.