Firefox extension doesn't sync with 1Password 7

Options
DUGums
DUGums
Community Member

After reinstalling the 1Password extension for Firefox on my MacBook Pro the vaults have not synced properly. I see fewer entries in the Firefox extension than I am supposed to have. I have 1Password 7 on my computer and I believe it syncs to iCloud.

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: 1.18.0
OS Version: 10.15.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:I had to uninstall and then reinstall the 1Password extension in Firefox on my MacBook. Not working

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @DUGums

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty. If you open 1Password > Preferences > Vaults are all of your vaults checked? Also, do you see a vault called "Primary" listed there?

Please let me know.

Ben

• DUGums
    DUGums
    Community Member
    Options

I have All Vaults checked. And yes, there is a vault called Primary. When I click on Primary, it comes up empty. I am assuming you're asking about vaults listed in the 1Password extension for Firefox.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @DUGums. Based on that information I think I have a pretty good idea of what is going on. In your original post for the version information you mentioned that you are using extension version 1.18.0, which is our 1Password X extension. This extension communicates directly with 1Password.com, independently of the 1Password for Mac app. As such it is possible to have different information in 1Password X than what is in 1Password for Mac.

Based on the fact that you still have a "Primary" vault in 1Password for Mac it sounds like the migration process for moving to 1Password.com didn't complete 100% on the first run through. To correct this please try opening 1Password for Mac and use the vault switcher at the top left of the interface to switch to your "Personal" vault. From there select Help > Tools > Migrate Standalone Vaults to Account. This should move any data that was missed in the initial migration (if any) and remove the "Primary" vault. Then everything should match.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• DUGums
    DUGums
    Community Member
    Options

Ben-
    I know my original problem is with the extension for Firefox. And I see what you're asking me to do. But before I follow your solution I have another question regarding my 1Password app on my iPhone. When I look at my phone app, I see that I have one vault called Primary that syncs to iCloud. (And it is the ONLY vault I see on my phone) If I follow what you have asked me to try, will it affect how my phone app works? It seems like my Primary vault will be wiped out. I just want my Mac and my phone and my iPad to all sync to 1Password together. Along with any browser extensions.

Doug

• Ben
    Options

@DUGums

Yes it sounds like we have work to do there as well. Please do perform the steps outlined above and then confirm for me if all of your data is available to you on your Mac / in Firefox. Once it is then we'll fix up the iOS devices as well. :)

Ben

• DUGums
    DUGums
    Community Member
    Options

Ben-
    OK. That did the trick as far as fixing the Firefox 1Password extension. Thank You! Now I'm ready to make sure my iPhone and Ipads are in sync too. What should I do with them?

Doug

• Ben
    Options

@DUGums

I would recommend verifying that you know the correct credentials to sign into your 1Password.com account, which you can do by logging in at https://my.1password.com/signin?a=new
    Once you've verified that I would recommend uninstalling and reinstalling 1Password for iOS on each of the iOS devices. This will erase the data from them. Then you can sign into your account using the same details you used at my.1password.com to access the data there.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• DUGums
    DUGums
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again. All of my devices are synced properly now.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Ben, you are welcome @DUGums! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• GregoryRHill
    GregoryRHill
    Community Member
    Options

I was having the same problem on my iPhone. All I had to do was sign out of 1Password on my iPhone and then sign back in to get things synced again.

It would be nice if this technique was mentioned on https://support.1password.com/sync-options/ . That page mentions "signing in to your account", but it wasn't clear to me that, if one is already signed in, signing out and back in again is required to force a sync. Since I was already signed in on my iPhone, I thought that 1Password would automatically sync any changes I made through the FireFox extension. Based on results, that's not true. Please clarify that on the above mentioned page and/or in other appropriate places.

Thanks,

Greg

• Ben
    Options

Hi @GregoryRHill

I'm honestly not sure how that would've worked. :) I'm glad to hear it did, but I suspect it was more by coincidence than by that being what resolved the issue you were having. As such I don't think we're in a position to recommend it as a solution. If you run into difficulties again please reach out, as we'd like to get to the root cause.

Since I was already signed in on my iPhone, I thought that 1Password would automatically sync any changes I made through the FireFox extension.

To be clear: that is indeed how it should work, assuming all devices are signed into the same account and there are no standalone vaults involved. If it is not working, that is a problem we'd like to help you troubleshoot.

Thanks!

Ben

• GregoryRHill
    GregoryRHill
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply. I had created a new password entry vis-a-vis a new login entry on the FireFox extension and expected it to show up on my phone. It did not, even after 30 minutes or so. I had trouble finding this article as I initially didn't know to use the word "sync" in my search. Searching "data doesn't propagate to device" didn't yield useful results. I eventually got to this page.

I'm glad to know that my original understanding that the syncing should automatically occur between signed in devices was correct since that's why I leave the phone signed in. I only have one account and I don't use standalone vaults, so I'm not sure what the issue was. If I see this problem again, I'll immediately contact you.

Thanks,

Greg

• Ben
    Options

Thanks Greg. I appreciate the additional details. For sure that is something we'd like to dig deeper on. We've had some requests for a "force sync" option, but frankly if such an option were needed then that is an indicator something isn't working right. That should be fixed, rather than worked around. By working around it, the symptoms may be temporarily masked, but they'll almost certainly reoccur without proper treatment.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.