UI lag

Naxterra
Naxterra
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello

I recently deleted all of my vault content and reimported from Bitwarden, but now UI is laggy. Switching between login items takes between 3 to 5 seconds. I used mrc-converter to import my logins also used 'Optimize Database' under Tools menu

I am using Windows 10 and my 1P for Windows version is 7.6.781

1Password Version: 7.6.781
Extension Version: 1.21.2
OS Version: Windows 10 2004 Build 19041.450
Sync Type: Cloud

Comments

• I think this may actually be related to the import issue you reported in the other thread, @Naxterra. Flagging every single one of your Logins would be a lot of work for Watchtower to do. Enough so I could see it bogging things down. I think the best thing to do would to focus on that issue first and see if performance improves when it's corrected. If not, we can circle back. Given things were better prior to reimporting, though, I'd put at least a little bit of money on that being the issue. Fingers crossed!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Naxterra:

Can you try quitting 1Password completely and relaunching it? Do you see improvements by refreshing things this way?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Naxterra:

Thank you for the confirmation! The next time that this happens, I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your PC and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Naxterra:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: QAC-71113-548

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Naxterra,

It is quite strange, but it seems that we never received your previous email about this issue. :unamused:

However, I found an email from you from today. We will take a closer look and get back to you via email. Thank you for reporting this!

ref: QBY-94537-428

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi again @Kailo,

I replied to you in a different thread, so let's continue our conversation via email. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @Naxterra! Please let us know if you notice anything else while you continue using 1Password :+1:

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

I'm also seeing UI lag as of the latest beta - it seems that the UI is significantly dropping the framerate of the window that's being rendered. It's hard to capture to demonstrate the repro, but it's very noticeable when I compare the 1Password window to everything else.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@kop48:

Thank you for the update. Have you sent us a diagnostics report too when this happens?

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

@ag_ana Sent! Also note that the lag seems to eventually go away, so I wonder if 1Password is processing items in the background and not responding to its window messages?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@kop48:

Thank you! Have you received a ticket number already?

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

@ag_ana yup! #RGW-47155-649

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@kop48:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: RGW-47155-649

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

It looks like it might be related to .NET apps on GSync in general. NordVPN appears to also be a .NET executable, and it causes the same issue. Disabling GSync appears to address the problem in both apps. I'm not sure where the bug should go to - Microsoft, or NVidia?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

I also have these lags (https://1password.community/discussion/117783/windows-beta-7-6-787-brought-back-awful-delay/). But often it helps to force quit 1Password (7.6.791) and reopen it. Sometimes it lags when editing some entries, and sometimes it lags when it is active, and I'm looking for entries. And I'm also using an Nvidia Card with GSync enabled.

If it lags again I will send diagnostic reports, too. Thanks, @kop48, for this clarification!

• Hey again @DenalB 👋

We have seen in the past where having G-Sync enabled caused the same behavior you are reporting. 1Password for Windows uses Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) to render 1Password's UI and WPF is capped at 60hz. You can learn a bit more about the details behind this here.

As it turns out, Microsoft is aware of this issue with Windows Presentation Foundation (and G-Sync) judging by this particular GitHub Issue, where it seems like the current workaround is to change adaptive sync mode in Nvidia Control Panel from windows + fullscreen to full screen only mode, as found by this community member.

Can you give this a shot and see if it corrects some of the issues you were seeing there? 😊💙

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hey @Blake! :)

where it seems like the current workaround is to change adaptive sync mode in Nvidia Control Panel from windows + fullscreen to full screen only mode

That's what I selected since I'm using a G-Sync graphics card, because I had some trouble with some games when I used the setting for windowed and full screen mode. So this isn't a solution for me. :(

Thanks for pointing this out @Blake! :+1:

• Hmm, that's strange. We know for certain this issue is directly related to the conflicts with WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) and GSync, and the fix I mentioned in my prior comment has worked for most folks who have tried it.

Can you give @kkrauth's alternative workaround a shot for me as well, and see if that one does the trick for you? I'll include it below for easier viewing.

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/556555/

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

Thanks @Blake . I‘ll give it a try. 👍

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good :+1:

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

I just read the workaround (https://1password.community/discussion/comment/556585/#Comment_556585) and I already did this and set the fixed refresh rate for 1Password desktop app.

I think with this setting 1Password runs a little smoother. I don't have such frame drops as often as without this setting. I will keep an eye on this, and hopefully it helps with this issue. ;)

But now I know that this setting definitely works for other applications too when switching G-Sync back to windows and full-screen mode.

There are some other apps like e.g. "Affinity Photo", "Affinity Designer" or "Snagit 2021" which are flickering in G-Sync windows and full-screen mode. So I set these apps to a fixed refresh rate in Nvidia settings and the flickering is gone. :)

Thank you guys for pointing me to this workaround! :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update, that is great to hear :)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

:+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:)

This discussion has been closed.