Feedback on the UI / UX of the Safari Inline Menu

Options
124»

Comments

• GadgetComa
    GadgetComa
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I realize 1Password only shows passwords where the url matches what’s in the 1Password entry. There are times where I purposely don’t have the url in the entry. For example, I have a server where I have my own user login for normal use as well as an administrator login for system admin functions. I rarely use the admin login, so I don’t want it showing up automatically when I go to the login page. It’s really a convenience thing although I also want to minimize the chance of using the admin account for user activity. Having the ability to search for a login is needed to make this approach work.

• ag_matthew
    ag_matthew
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have a server where I have my own user login for normal use as well as an administrator login for system admin functions. I rarely use the admin login, so I don’t want it showing up automatically when I go to the login page.

@GadgetComa I understand. In that situation, I would:

• add the login url to both the user and admin login items, inside 1Password
    • move the administrator login into a separate vault
    • exclude that new vault from the "All Vaults" collection, inside 1Password settings
    • then, only the user login would appear in the inline menu
    • to use to the admin login, you would need to use 1Password Mini, and select the other vault from the vault selector (next to the search box), and then search

(I'm hoping that other team-members might have better suggestions for your use-case)

Matthew

• GadgetComa
    GadgetComa
    Community Member
    Options

That certainly would work, but I do like the idea of using the inline menu. Plus, the way I do it now, when I'm on iOS, the admin login does not appear in the password autofill, but I can choose the 1Password option and search from there to get it.

This really isn't a big deal, but if there are other ideas on how I can do this or if you could consider adding search to the inline menu, I wouldn't object. ;)

Thanks,

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@GadgetComa:

I think ag_matthew's suggestion is the best one for what you are trying to do :+1:

Plus, the way I do it now, when I'm on iOS, the admin login does not appear in the password autofill, but I can choose the 1Password option and search from there to get it.

If I am not mistaken, this would continue working the same way even with multiple vaults, in case that helps :)

• Nebes
    Nebes
    Community Member
    edited August 2020
    Options

I also have not been a fan of the inline menu, but now that I'm aware that the preference to hide has been added I'm much happier.

I'm aware that using Safari's PM is not supported, but the primary reason that I haven't disabled it is the still unmatched ability of 1P to produce one-click logins. It's much more efficient to let Safari generate a login and have 1P ask to save it (two clicks), than the multiple clicks it takes for 1P to input email and password (especially when the inline menu overwrites an already typed username with an email) followed by the numerous clicks it takes to convert the generated password to a login and then still have to input username or email again. If I could generate logins with the inline menu instead of only passwords, that would probably be enough for me to stop using the Safari PM. I would still keep the 1P inline menu hidden by default due to the 2FA SMS autofill though; it's the only option in too many places still.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Nebes:

If I could generate logins with the inline menu instead of only passwords, that would probably be enough for me to stop using the Safari PM.

You can! :) After entering your credentials, you can click on the Save in 1Password button to save username and password:

• Nebes
    Nebes
    Community Member
    edited August 2020
    Options

Hmm, I thought that's what I was doing. Since last week using 7.7BETA-4, using that "Save in 1P" option created new logins that saved only username and website but not the generated password—which was saved as a separate password entity:
    I'll mess around more and see if I can nail down reproducible behavior in the instances from last week, now that I'm on BETA-5.

• rudy
    Options

@nebes,

There aren't yet any changes around this behavior in beta-5. Maybe beta-6 or 7.

This discussion has been closed.