Disable Watchtower banners in 7.0x

2»

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@feliperubin I see that you posted in this thread too, so thank you for your feedback once again! As I mentioned in the other discussion you opened, we are looking at ways to make these more flexible, we just want to make sure that we do this properly without potentially lowering the security for less technical users who might be relying on these warnings to keep secure online.

• jiadar
    jiadar
    Community Member

Hi, I have been using 1password for about 10 years. I am usually reluctant to upgrade because of new "features" which are unnecessary at best. I paid to upgrade only to be greeted with this watchtower annoying me every time I use the app. I have 1100 passwords in the app and am a software engineer working on security sensitive products. I know what I'm doing and know how to manage my credentials. This watchtower is an absolute fail in my opinion. Once i saw it and found out what it was I looked for a setting to turn it off, to no avail! How ludicrous! I have enough annoyances with my day to day work and strive ruthlessly to automate common tasks and minimize context switching. Every time I see this watch tower it forces me to context switch into thinking about how ridiculous it is for a user like me.

PLEASE MAKE AN OPTION OR SETTING TO SHUT IT OFF !!!

In the meantime I will likely downgrade back to 1password version 6 without this annoying new "feature".

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about Watchtower! We will keep it into consideration moving forward :+1:

• reaxion
    reaxion
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

So here we are in 2020, 2 years after this thread was started. There's still no way to turn off these banners? "If you changed your password before [6 months before the date of the last password change], you need to change it now."

Come on. I'm a coder and this isn't rocket science. It is your entire business model.

There are several reasons I'd never buy a 1password subscription but this is definitely in the top 2. I have still purchased it on every device I own, but I'd happily ditch it for something with a bit of intelligence.

The only option is to disable Watchtower. That really helps me maintain my security... {sarcasm off}

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for sharing your perspective, @reaxion.

• gek
    gek
    Community Member

Hi @Lars and @ag_ana,

from reading what @reaxion said, is there now a way to disable watchtower completely?

thanks.

• DavidHaefliger
    DavidHaefliger
    Community Member

Hello everyone,

Not to be annoying for bringing this up once again, i'm sorry!
    I assume your team has already written this off as a bad feature, which I can understand and you already told us why.
    Maybe you could give us an option as in "Developer Settings / SysAdmin-Mode" whatever something like that.
    We've got alot of internal website that use admin - admin for example.

Thanks for any consideration...

Cheers, Dave

• LWks
    LWks
    Community Member

I am a very, very, very longtime user of 1PW (oldest version is probably Version 3 from 2007).

I've LOVED 1PW. I've purchased it and have installed it on the computers and IOs devices of virtually every client, every friend and every family member. I'm also an avid supporter of the standalone version and I've always been very slow/careful about migrating to new OS and/or new versions of any software.

That's for background.

Now to this discussion.

Amazingly, on two of my Macs (one running under OS 10.12 Sierra and one running under 10.13 High Sierra) I was lucky enough to still be able to successfully use the 1PW Safari extension. Yes, I'm told it shouldn't be possible, but it was.

So, today, I decided to take the plunge and finally upgrade to Version 7 of 1PW on a machine running 10.13.

WHOLLY CRAP !!!!

What the heck is all this Watchtower nonsense? Are you kidding?

I've just finished reading two years worth of pages and pages and pages of complaints about the banners, warnings and the illogical ways in which Watchtower is supposed to be keeping us safe. Boy oh boy, I sure wish I'd read them before I upgraded!

Because now, of course, when I tried to go back to 1Password 6, I find that I've also now permanently lost the Safari extension.

To say the least, I'm really, really annoyed.

PLEASE! We're adults. We really are capable of making our own decisions and we deserve to be in control of this. Yes, it's wonderful that 1PW warns us about overused and insufficient passwords.

That's fine and good and appreciated.

But that it does this comparison ACROSS VAULTS? That's insane!

And to not be able to disable the banners, or dismiss them or snooze them suggests that you feel only you know best and treats your customers/users like they're infants.

So, now, I'm left with the horrible choice of going back to 1PW 6 (where, because of this fiasco, I've now lost the safari extension) or trying to live with this mess called Version 7 (which I don't think I'll be able to do).

All I can say, again, as the purchaser of DOZENS of copies of 1PW, I am just so incredibly disappointed (not only in this Watchtower situation) but also in many recent choices you've made and the direction I've seen AgileBits go over the last several years.

I never ever thought I'd say this but it's maybe time to look elsewhere.

• reaxion
    reaxion
    Community Member

It seems our words have fallen on deaf ears/blind eyes, and I particularly enjoyed Lars' "perspective" comment.

I tried waiting for this, and other issues, to be remedied. So since nothing has happened I've switched from 1Password completely and moved to Bitwarden. It's far from perfect, but at least it's open source and works on everything I own without forcing me to use Dropbox or 1Password's expensive subscription model, and I can even host the open source server myself if I want.

The developers are actively working to improve it all the time, and it's getting better. I even decided to pay for their $10 a year annual "premium" subscription (less than a third of the price of 1Password!). Sure, it doesn't have all the same features that I used in 1P, but it does the job and doesn't blast me with unwanted banners or other stuff. I don't think I'll be looking back any time soon.

This discussion has been closed.