Auto-Select Shortcut fo Displayed Address

TonyDennis
TonyDennis
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

More and more sites are using 2-stage logins, where you put your username or email in on one page, but then have to click to a 2nd page to enter the password, e.g., Google & MS 365. It would be really helpful if 1P could check to see if there is a single username or email address displayed on a page, and if so would automatically select that shortcut in the 1P window.

I've attached screenshots of the Google & MS 365 pages as examples.

1Password Version: Version 7.7.BETA-5 (70700005)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.6 (19G73)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @TonyDennis,

I'm going to assume you're not using Safari or not using the inline menu in Safari here? In the inline menu in Safari, it does filter the inline menu list as a result of what you type into it. I'd recommend trying that out and see if it accomplishes what you're trying to do here.

• TonyDennis
    TonyDennis
    Community Member

Safari is my secondary browser. Chrome is my primary, as it is for most of our clients.

I love the new inline menu, with two exceptions: when is it coming for Chrome, and is there a way to search a long list? I am a computer consultant and 1P evangelist to my clients. I have dozens of clients using 1P Teams and subscribe to their accounts for shared I.T. account info, resulting in almost 3K shortcuts. So for example, if I'm on a Google login page, I have to scroll through hundreds of Google logins (twice! for both username and password!). It's much easier with the plugin pop-up, where I can search.

• @TonyDennis,

The inline menu won't be coming to the "desktop app required" extension. It will be exclusively available via the 1Password X extension.

• TonyDennis
    TonyDennis
    Community Member

I'm confused. What does this have to do with 1P X? I'm using the plug-in (not 1P X) in Safari, and it seems to work fine. When will it be coming to work the same way with Chrome?

• @TonyDennis

I'll try to clarify what Rudy was saying:

What does this have to do with 1P X?

The inline menu was originally a feature exclusive to 1Password X. We recently brought it to the Safari App Extension (SAE). The companion extension (titled "1Password extension (desktop app required)") does not have and will not be receiving this feature for the foreseeable future.

When will it be coming to work the same way with Chrome?

It will likely not be (unless you switch to 1Password X). My hope is that eventually we'll be able to merge the functions of 1Password X and the companion extension such that we only offer one extension which provides the best of both worlds, but that isn't something on the radar quite yet. We'll be much closer once we're able to get Desktop App Integration into 1Password X.

Ben

• TonyDennis
    TonyDennis
    Community Member

So is the 1P desktop app ultimately being migrated to 1P X? If so, that makes me very worried! I tried 1P X a few months back and didn't even last 24 hours before going back to 1P desktop/plug-ins. I forget the problems, but it appeared to be seriously handicapped vs. 1P desktop/plug-ins.😳 Plus I remember that I couldn't really go back-and-forth between the environments, and as someone with dozens of accounts and thousands of shortcuts, that was quickly a non-starter!
    As someone who has been using and heavily promoting 1P to our clients, I'm suddenly very worried! Should I be?😟

• @TonyDennis

Plus I remember that I couldn't really go back-and-forth between the environments, and as someone with dozens of accounts and thousands of shortcuts, that was quickly a non-starter!

Those are admittedly both challenges with the current 1Password X extension. Desktop App Integration would help significantly with those things, and that should hopefully be coming later this year. As it stands 1Password X and 1Password for Mac don't talk to each other directly, like the companion extension does. Desktop App Integration will address that.

I forget the problems, but it appeared to be seriously handicapped vs. 1P desktop/plug-ins.

Without knowing what specifically you had trouble with it would be difficult to comment further at this point. If you recall, or would like to give it another try, we'd be happy to hear any feedback you have over in the 1Password X category. :+1:

Ben

• TonyDennis
    TonyDennis
    Community Member

We kind of got off the original topic, so I'd like to "ping" the original, very important feature request:

More and more sites are using 2-stage logins, where you put your username or email in on one page, but then have to click to a 2nd page to enter the password, e.g., Google & MS 365. It would be really helpful if 1P could check to see if there is a single username or email address displayed on a page, and if so would automatically select that shortcut in the 1P window.
    (See screenshots in top message.)

This is getting to be an even bigger deal than when I first posted this topic, since for some reason more and more sites are doing this! Help AgileFolk, help!🙏

• @TonyDennis,

For the described functionality you'll need to use either Safari or 1Password in the browser (formerly called 1Password X) for Chrome.

This discussion has been closed.