Just installed and app and extension not saving any passwords in Safari.

Options
sms2019
sms2019
Community Member

Hi. The app is not saving or offering to save any passwords. IT's running, the preferences have both "always keep running" and "detect new usernames" checked. I've stopped having Safari automatically save passwords. In the upper toolbar (where the time and battery appear) the 1 Pass extension says I need to open preferences in Safari. I don't see what is missing there. I've opened Facebook and Amazon and the app isn't offering to save anything. The only thing the online version has saved is the 1Pass extension and Backblaze. Since then, nothing. Can you help? Thank you.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: OSX.15.6
Sync Type: iCloud I presume
Referrer: forum-search:app not working

Comments

• sms2019
    sms2019
    Community Member
    Options

I found the web page that suggests you restart the computer. I did and it now works. Thank you! Loaves and fishes, people! https://support.1password.com/extension-troubleshooting/

• sms2019
    sms2019
    Community Member
    Options

Nope. Back to not working. I have tried logging off and on to Twitter and the app won't take the password. Seriously, I don't know why this won't work consistently. Can you help please? Thank you.

• sms2019
    sms2019
    Community Member
    Options

An update: I typed in Twitter, clicked on the 1Pass extension on the toolbar, and it gave me an option of a new password. I logged out of Twitter and then tried to have 1Pass fill in the new password. Nothing. Didn't work. Instead, my old password worked. Clearly there is a problem with the extensions and perhaps the app on my computer.

• sms2019
    sms2019
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. Ok, I have tried to follow the instructions for manually inserting passwords. I tried to generate a password and use it for Twitter and now it says it's not the right password. I'm trying to change the password by having it generate a new password and it will type only in the first field, not the second. Really, I'm not seeing the benefit of this.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sms2019!

I tried to generate a password and use it for Twitter and now it says it's not the right password.

Have you changed the password on the Twitter website too, or have you done it just within 1Password?

• sms2019
    sms2019
    Community Member
    Options

I had to change it and used a Safari suggested password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sms2019:

Thank you for the clarification! This would explain why the password was rejected. For future reference, we recommend disabling the built-in password manager in your browser if you are using 1Password, so there is no interference like in this case:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

And this is a tutorial that shows you how to change passwords for websites using 1Password, from beginning to end, without using browser suggested passwords:

Change your passwords and make them stronger

• sms2019
    sms2019
    Community Member
    Options

Neither the app nor the extension are offering to save or provide passwords. It's just not working at all. I've tried my bank, American Express, The New York Times, my university email. 1Pass is never prompted to save the password.

• sms2019
    sms2019
    Community Member
    Options

I turned off the password manager yesterday and the app and the extension still didn't work. Must I input each and every password manually?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sms2019:

1Pass is never prompted to save the password.

What version of the 1Password browser extension do you currently have installed?

Must I input each and every password manually?

The very first time, yes. Unless you have an exported file with your usernames and passwords already, in which case you can import them into 1Password without having to type them manually.

• sms2019
    sms2019
    Community Member
    Options

Ah ok. So it's a manual job. I saw this article and will attempt to import from iCloud. https://support.1password.com/sync-with-icloud/. I do think the instructions should be clearer, that most of the initial contacts need to be entered by hand. If you check the the toolbar icon, the instructions say nothing about that when getting started. It says, "sign into first app. 1Pass will ask you to save your user name." In fact, I was asked that just once for all my sites.

• sms2019
    sms2019
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you kindly. I'll report back if there are issues.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2020
    Options

@sms2019

To clarify: the article you linked doesn't do anything for you with regard to getting passwords from iCloud Keychain into 1Password. That article is about syncing (legacy) standalone vaults within 1Password using iCloud — that function has been replaced by 1Password membership. This post may help with the iCloud Keychain situation:

Moving to 1Password from another password manager — 1Password Forum

@MrC, one of our volunteer contributors, has written a script that can help automate the task.

Ben

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@sms2019 ,

I'm happy to help you. The script that Ben refers to is the Get_Safari12_Passwords script, part of the converter suite .

You'll download and unzip the converter suite zip archive and run the script inside the unzipped folder. You can follow along with the video where I show the process.

This discussion has been closed.