App passwords (e.g. "app://com.quicken.Quicken") work for "Password" items but not "Logins"

Larry Daniele
Larry Daniele
Community Member

I'm using 1Password Version 7.6 on an iMac running macOS Catalina (10.15.6). I've just started embracing the new "app://" URLs to call up passwords for Mac apps such as Quicken and Perforce P4V. I've discovered that these work if you enter the password and URL in a "Password" item in 1Password, but NOT as a "Login" item although another post on this forum claimed Logins work. Ideally this feature would work with both types.

In particular for P4V, if I press Cmd-\, 1Password Mini comes up but is empty even though there is a Login for P4V with the correct URL ("app://com.perforce.p4v"). If I add a Password item with just the Password and URL, then 1Password Mini will display and correctly use that. So this really seems like a bug if the intention is to include Login items in this feature.

1Password Version: 7.6 (70600005)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Catalina (10.15.6)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Larry Daniele!

The feature should indeed work for Login items too. Is absolutely no Login item working for you if you add the app:// URL? I wonder if there is something specific with certain apps (perhaps because the URL you entered is incorrect), or if there is something in your general 1Password configuration.

• Larry Daniele
    Larry Daniele
    Community Member

@ag_ana Good question! So I did a test. For Quicken, the URL of "app://com.quicken.Quicken" works in both a Login item and a Password item. For P4V, only the Password item (with the URL of "app://com.perforce.p4v) works. So perhaps there is some difference based on the application.

To double-check for any typo in the URL, I copied the URL from the working Password item to the not working Login item and it still doesn't work. Also, I've assured that this is the one and only URL in the Login item (even though the Quicken Login item worked fine with multiple URLs).

I then created a new Login item for P4V and that worked! So it appears that my old Login item (created in 2017) is not working. (My Quicken Password items are newly created.) I can provide an export of this old P4V item to 1Password support privately if needed.

For now, I'm happy enough to recreate the Quicken entries and continue on. Thanks @ag_ana for the inspiration!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Larry Daniele:

Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear that creating a new item solved the issue :)

I can provide an export of this old P4V item to 1Password support privately if needed.

Absolutely, you can certainly email the exported item to us privately to support+forum@agilebits.com if you wish. We can take a look there and see if we can spot why this specific item was not working :+1:

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• Larry Daniele
    Larry Daniele
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_ana…

I've emailed the exported Login item. It has a support ID of [#KKB-73137-923].

If I can be of any more help in tracking down the problem, please let me know. But otherwise, I'm good for now.

Onward!

Larry

• Thank you @Larry Daniele !

Ben

ref: KKB-73137-923

This discussion has been closed.