Using 1PasswordX to fill in 3 login fields

There have been previous discussions about how to save 3-field logins using 1PasswordX. One of these does indicate that when one clicks in one of the fields, there's the 1P drop-down menu with "save login" as the last item (as there's no ellipsis that appears, which was mentioned elsewhere in that discussion.

So is it still possible to save 3 fields for a login in 1PasswordX (beta), and if so, how?

1Password Version: 7.7BETA-5
Extension Version: 1.21.0
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @odysseus ,

1Password X should collect all relevant fields in a login page automatically, unless there's more than one password field, in which case one of them will be ignored currently (and we're working on improving that).

If the website you're having this issue on is public, please share the link here so I can test it and see if there's a way to make it work, or if I should forward it to our developers for further investigation.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member

The problem is that there are 3 fields, but there is not a second password field. Here's the site: https://logins2.renweb.com/logins/ParentsWeb-Login.aspx

The field which I'd like to fill in automatically is "District Code"

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the link @odysseus .

I tested it with 1Password X 1.21.0 and when I saved a new login, all three fields were picked up and saved. Autofilling also worked and filled in all the fields.
    Can you please try the following:

1. Get to that login page.
    2. Manually fill in all three fields without 1Password's help.
    3. Right click the 1Password icon on the top right corner of your browser and select "Save Login". Save it with a unique name so you'll know its the new login.
    4. Refresh the page, then try to autofill with the new login, see if it autofills all three fields.

Let me know if it worked well for you as it did for me.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited August 2020

Hi,

Kindly indicate where that "Save Login" command is -- I can't find it in any of the drop-down menus associated with the 1P icons! Do you mean "New Login"?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @odysseus ,

Do you see the 1Password X icon on the top right corner of your browser? If so, right click it and you should see a "Save Login" option.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member

Kindly provide a screenshot?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2020

Sure thing:

Click here to see it in a larger version.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited August 2020

I'm dumfounded. I have 1PasswordX 1.21.3 running in Brave, and that isn't at all what I see:

In fact, I can't find a "Save Login" option in any 1P extension, not in Brave, not in Firefox, not in Safari!

Are you running Windows? I'm on Mac OS, as per above.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2020

Hey @odysseus ,

You need to Right Click the extesnion's icon in order to see the menu I'm showing in my screenshot. The one you're showing in your screenshot is a normal left click :)

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member

And why, pray tell, would a right-click be necessary for gaining access to "Save login"?! Why wouldn't it be available under the gear menu?

There isn't a "Save login" option for the 1P extension for Safari, is there?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2020

@odysseus ,

Right clicking the extension's icon is one way to save a login. The other way (the more standard way) is to simply type in your credentials in the fields on the website, then 1Password will show up on its own with the "Save in 1Password" button, but it won't show that button if you already have an existing login with these same credentials, which is why I instructed you to use the right click method.

In Safari, you can left click the extension's icon to open 1Password, click the gear icon on the top right and select "New Login", which will trigger the save prompt if there are fields on the page that were manually filled.

To emphasize, these methods are not the default way to do things, these are just workarounds I'm trying with you in order to troubleshoot your specific issue, so please do not consider these as the main user experience we offer.

Keep in mind that the autofilling experience might be different in 1Password X in Chrome/Firefox than it is in Safari, so make sure to test things in Chrome/Firefox and see if you are able to get all three fields autofilled. If you're having issues in Safari, do let me know and we'll troubleshoot that instead.

Thank you :chuffed:

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited August 2020

OK, there are many problems here. I've frequently found the standard user login experience to be confusing and inconsistent (I realize that using a third-party password manager to log into web sites is basically a kluge …) With the site mentioned above, if I enter the three fields manually in Safari (after putting the already-saved item in the trash), I'm not asked to save anything. Second, most frequently with these 3-field logins, the user has already set up two fields (because there's email address verification and because the third field isn't usually saved automatically) and so by your own admission, 1Password won't show up on its own with a "Save in 1Password" button because there's a preexisting login.

Don't even get me started with the number of times 1P doesn't save the password correctly. There used to be an easy way to report these, but you folks removed that facility (I'm not interested in your explanations for this), so most of the time I just ignore and move on. I'm not a developer by profession, and I need to be able to get my own work done, not work for free for software companies.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback there, @odysseus .

You are always more than welcome to report bugs and issues by emailing them to support@1password.com. The only reason we're such a highly ranked and excellent password manager is because we listen to users, and value feedback and reports. So please do feel free to email us whenever you need (or start a discussion here in the forum, which is also great!).

To prevent any further confusion, I'll try to provide visual aids so my suggestions and instructions would be easier to follow.
    Here's a video recording I made for you, showing you how I save a new login on that website in Safari, and how it autofills: http://recordit.co/vap7W1olq6

Is that not what you are experiencing?

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited August 2020

I complained that there's no longer an in-app way to report problems with filling logins, that it's unnecessarily time consuming, and you urge me to email support@1password.com or to start a discussion forum?! Is there a disconnect here? Do you know what it is like when one uses many applications and one has to start a discussion thread for bugs in each one?

As for your video, it misses the point: as I already stated, most frequently with these 3-field logins, the user has already set up two fields (because there's email address verification and because the third field isn't usually saved automatically) and so by your own admission, 1Password won't show up on its own with a "Save in 1Password" button because there's a preexisting login.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback around reporting filling issues, @odysseus! It's something we'd love to improve down the road. It's good to know that you'd like to see improvement in that area as well. As of right now, it is helpful when users report filling issues to us, but it's absolutely not required. While we test 1Password on a multitude of pages, there's no way we could test each and every page on the web, so it's greatly appreciated. ❤️

I went ahead and tested saving an item on the website you were having trouble with, and I was able to get an item to save and fill correctly. Yaron already explained how to save the item to get it filling properly for you. Were you able to re-save your item, and is it filling as you'd expect now?

In the example you mentioned (https://logins2.renweb.com/logins/ParentsWeb-Login.aspx), all three fields have 1Password icons in them, and the inline menu appears below each field. Any field you type in will show the Save in 1Password option. For example, if you only have two fields saved in a Login item, you can fill those two fields, then type the value into the third field and click Save in 1Password underneath that field (it'll appear since you're typing into that field).

If you do get a chance to let us know of any other three field sign in pages where 1Password isn't working as you'd expect, we'd love to hear about it. It helps us improve on similar websites, and one single fix could end up resolving the issues you're mentioning when it comes to three field pages.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited August 2020

Kaitlyn, I don't really understand why you're repeating what Yaron has already written; did you read what I had written in response? To make a long story short, what I'm reporting is that there's currently no way to add a third field to an already-existing login.

As for the filling issues, using boiler plate text to respond is pretty sad. As I wrote, I won't be reporting the issues because you folks have made the process so much harder than it used to be.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2020

@odysseus ,

Kaitlyn did address what you wrote. Specifically, she answered:

In the example you mentioned (https://logins2.renweb.com/logins/ParentsWeb-Login.aspx), all three fields have 1Password icons in them, and the inline menu appears below each field. Any field you type in will show the Save in 1Password option. For example, if you only have two fields saved in a Login item, you can fill those two fields, then type the value into the third field and click Save in 1Password underneath that field (it'll appear since you're typing into that field).

So 1Password does show up in all three fields and will allow you to "Save in 1Password" which will save the changes without you having to right click the extension's icon.
    Please give that a try and see if it works. We're here to help and would like you to have a proper working login. We don't see any outstanding issues with 1Password on that page so there's nothing to file as a bug. There might be some design issues with the website itself, where it first asks you for only a part of the login credentials, and then asks for another, but in that case the "Save in 1Password" button (or the right click -> "Save Login") comes in handy.

As for the filling issues, using boiler plate text to respond is pretty sad. As I wrote, I won't be reporting the issues because you folks have made the process so much harder than it used to be.

There is an automated email reply when you send us an email, which is standard. Shortly after , you will receive a human response. It is a much better process that will allow us to give proper attention to any and all reports, unlike an "automated" report button that will send your report to a long list that who knows what will become of it. We like to give a more personal experience :)

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member

Following Kaitlyn's steps (using "Save in 1Password") does not result in the third field being saved to the preexisting 2-field login entry in 1P.

Here's another try. If I have a 2 field login saved in 1P, and I enter the district code field to add it, I get the drop-down menu which offers to save (what does that "save" mean? Create a new entry or update it?), but then when I typed it and hit return, it looked like it worked, offering to update the entry—yet leading to a very confusing user experience with 2 different requests to save. So I clicked "update existing" and hoped for the best. But you know what? The third, "district" field wasn't added!

I want the automated report back. That's what existed before. I don't care what you do with it; that's your problem. I don't have time to interact with yet another tech support person.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the additional details @odysseus .
    I was able to replicate what you're describing here, and will forward it to our developers.

That interface is a part of the new inline menu feature we added to the 1Password 7 beta recently, and still has some quirks, so your feedback here is very valuable. Thank you.

As for the automated report - we currently do not have any plans to add such a feature, but we appreciate your opinion on the matter.

• ag_jarek
    edited August 2020

Hi @odysseus! Jarek from the extensions team here; you've brought up some great points in this thread, so thank you very much for that.

As Yaron wrote above, adding an automated report feature is not currently on our roadmap. I personally would really like to see this feature in some form, though, so I will say that I'd love to bring it back if we find a sensible way to do so.

I definitely feel your pain regarding the fact that 1Password isn't adding the district code field to your existing item when you use the "Update Existing Login" feature. Right now this feature works in a way that simply tries to update existing fields on the item with new information; i.e., a new username or password value. It doesn't attempt to find and add new fields on the page, however.

It does make sense to be able to update an existing login with new data, though, and so this is something we should be able to improve on in the future. I've opened an issue internally for this. Thanks for bringing it to our attention! :smile:

ref: dev/core/core#2625

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member

Great! Thanks!

• On behalf of Jarek, you're very welcome, @odysseus. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.