Feature Request: Strong Password Generator on iPad

I can't seem to find a way to generate new strong passwords for Login entries on 1Password Pro (on the iPad, if that's relevant). Am I missing something?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    The strong password generator is not currently available for new or existing iOS logins. The Strong Password generator is available in a separate location (More > Passwords) on iPhone, though.

We are considering ways to improve this is the future, but I do not have a time frame for when it may be added.
  • Thom Brooks
    Thom Brooks
    Community Member
    This is big for me as well. If this is going to be a truly portable solution that I can use across all of my devices, then having access to the password generator is crucial.

Reviews of the 'Pro' product mention the password generator, and do not contain any asterisks(*).

" * Note: Password generator only currently available on iPhone version. "
  • MikeT
    edited December 2010

This is big for me as well. If this is going to be a truly portable solution that I can use across all of my devices, then having access to the password generator is crucial.

Reviews of the 'Pro' product mention the password generator, and do not contain any asterisks(*).

Hi Thom,

The reason is that the 1Password for Pro is a universal application that runs on both iPhone and iPad, so the reviews are likely to be talking about the specific iPhone version and not the iPad. We’ll try to clear this up more.

We are aware that the lack of both the Password Generator and the Generated Passwords vault in the iPad version of 1Password is a big deal to a lot of people. We do plan to have both implemented in the iPad version but it will take us some time to overwork the GUI to fit them. As Khad mentioned, we do not have a timeframe on when it’ll be done.

I’m sorry that we do not have a timeframe on this or additional information to share with you at the moment.
  • This is a must for me as well. My Mother will be using 1Password exclusively on her iPad so needs a way to generate secure passwords.

I don't understand why it's available when adding new accounts but not for logins?
  • Examinus wrote:

This is a must for me as well. My Mother will be using 1Password exclusively on her iPad so needs a way to generate secure passwords.

Thank you for letting us know this is important to you. Every vote helps! :)

Examinus wrote:

I don't understand why it's available when adding new accounts but not for logins?

Time, that's all. I've been trying to find a way to get more than 24 hours in the day, but every time I find an extra hour or three, my wife and kids quickly steal it. It is like they have a 6th sense :)
  • My vote is for this too!!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the vote! :-)
  • jaredmoody
    jaredmoody
    Community Member
    +1 for this. You don't have a user voice page or similar for voting on features do you?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the vote, jared. We find that the features requested most often "rise to the surface" in support emails and on the forums without the need for a more formal tracker.

Wait? Is that another feature request? :-P
  • jim yates
    edited March 2011
    Ok is there anyway to access generated passwords on the iPad? The app won't show them and neither will 1Password Anywhere!
  • jim yates
    edited March 2011
    Workaround for generating passwords on iPad with 1Password. Use the accounts section and create a new generic account. There is an option to generate a password there. Then cut and paste the generated password into the login. It's not real user friendly but it does work.
    Screen Shot
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Jim,

It is definitely not an ideal solution — we understand — but may work for some folks in a pinch. Thanks for posting that!
  • mgi
    mgi
    Community Member
    +1 for this feature.

I thought I was blind, but it really is missing in the iPad version.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, mgi! I am sorry that our iPad app has caused you to doubt your own eyes, but this is something we hope to add in a future update. :lol:

Thanks for the feedback!
  • ScatterbotsNY
    ScatterbotsNY
    Community Member
    I'll add my wish that the iPad version would display Password entries which already exist. For me it is okay if it can not create new entries, since I almost always create new entries using 1Password on my Mac. But I do have a few dozen password entries in 1Password, and it's weird that they show up fine on my iPod touch but not on my iPad (given that I'm running "1Password Pro" on all my iOS devices). In the past I assumed that I was just confused with the iPad version, but I always had an iPod Touch nearby so I'd just fall back to that to get a Password entry. This weekend was the first time I really needed one of those entries at a time when the only thing I had with me was my iPad+3g. It ended up that I had to get dressed and drive into work to just to get one password. Very annoying, under the circumstances.

Hmm. If I buy 1Password for iPhone (not iPad), and then ran that on the iPad in "2x" mode, would that at least show me the Password entries?

Other than this one missing feature, 1Password has been great for me on both my Macs and my iOS devices. I bought it a long time ago, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't have kept up with all the different accounts+passwords that I have if it wasn't for this app!

(I notice that the iPad version also doesn't seem to show "groups" of entries, but that isn't as important to me)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    It ended up that I had to get dressed and drive into work to just to get one password. Very annoying, under the circumstances.

That does sounds like fun. I'm sorry that you had to do that. :-(

Hmm. If I buy 1Password for iPhone (not iPad), and then ran that on the iPad in "2x" mode, would that at least show me the Password entries?

Technically, yes, but it sure would be simpler to just have the functionality on your iPad "directly." I think we agree on that!

Other than this one missing feature, 1Password has been great for me on both my Macs and my iOS devices. I bought it a long time ago, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't have kept up with all the different accounts+passwords that I have if it wasn't for this app!

Thank you for the very kind words. I will pass them along to the developers along with your vote for this feature.

Cheers,
  • Clytie
    Clytie
    Community Member
    This is the most important feature missing, for me. So +1.

I'm very ill, and recently bought an iPad2 because the laptop was too heavy/awkward for me. So I'm trying to do just about everything on the iPad.

So please factor in to your planning that at least some of us are using the iPad not just as a supplementary device, but as the main device in some or all situations. :)

So we need to be able to:

• generate passwords
    • save new logins
    • update saved logins

Thankyou for all your work. :)
  • bswins
    edited June 2011
    Hello Clytie,

As you posted in the correct thread, you know that the Strong Password Generator (SPG) for new logins is an often made request. AgileBits has indicated that they would like to add this functionality in the future, but it is a matter of allocating scare development resources most efficiently. That's the primary reason the SPG is not a part of the iPad's functionality.

I'm very ill, and recently bought an iPad2 because the laptop was too heavy/awkward for me. So I'm trying to do just about everything on the iPad.

I am sorry to hear that you are very ill. An immediate member of my family is very ill too, and I understand why you wish to you the iPad as exclusively as is possible. Actually, I bought my family member an iPad for the exact same reason, so please know that your request is not falling on deaf ears.

So we need to be able to:

• save new logins
    You can create a new login manually on the iPad. When on the Logins screen, click the "+" sign in the upper right corner (to the right of the Search box)
    The Paste function is supported in the Title, website, and Notes sections, but is not available in the username, password or other line items in the Fields section.

• update saved logins
    You can update saved logins manually. Select the Login you wish to update, and click on the Edit box next to the login's Title.
    As mentioned above, you will need to type any updates made to your username, password, etc., but you can copy/paste updates for the Title, website URL or Notes.

• generate passwords:
    This functionality is the main reason for this thread. I use a workaround when I find myself away from home. It is not optimal, by any stretch of the imagination, but it is an alternative for the near term.

In the Accounts section, I created a Generic Account. You can create a new account by clicking the "+" sign, as can be done on the Login screen, and select "Generic Account".
    Notice that there is a box labeled "Generate" next to the Password entry line. (see attached screen shot)

Tap that box, and you are given the option to choose the length, digits and symbols for a generated password.
    Once you've selected your criteria, tap anywhere outside the selections box, and the new generated password is available to copy.
    Tap and hold on the password until you are given the option to Select All. Do so and then select Copy.

Now comes the not so great part. Go back to the Logins screen and click the "+" sign for a new login, or select a current entry you wish to update and click the Edit box. Paste your generated login into the Notes section, and then select the password entry area just below user name. You cannot paste the entry directly to that field, so you'll have to type it. For that reason, you may wish to limit the length and number of symbols.

I realize this is not a method that anyone would want to use on a daily basis. I mentioned it here so you and other users know that there is a way to generate a strong password and create/update a login if he or she is using only the iPad app.

There are several much easier methods, but they include the use of another iOS device and/or a desktop/laptop.

Thank you for all your work. :)

Thank you for your kind words. I'll pass along your thanks to the developers. They write the code that makes the application work and creates the beautiful user interface that you see.

Once again, I'm sorry that you are ill. I wish the best for you.

Brandt
  • Clytie
    Clytie
    Community Member
    Bswins (not "basins" as autocorrect blandly suggests), thank you for your help and suggested workarounds. I will try to remember to use them.

It does help that you understand the issues with illness/disability and how much the iOS platform can help us. The accessibility range in the App Store is just amazing. I hope 1Password can add itself soon to the list of apps which save us extra manipulation and brain cycles.

I really didn't appreciate good interface design until I became ill. I thought it was just decoration and stylizing. Ha! Using a well-designed interface, I can concentrate for longer. A lack of sharp corners and distracting elements means more brain cycles available for reading and processing.

It's been quite a revelation. ;)

So please keep up the good work. I'm not sure how you're going to work around the lock on Safari (will Apple allow extensions at some point?) but undoubtedly we iPad users need a fully functional browser. It's not reasonable to expect devs of other software to spend their time on creating full browsers to run parallel to Safari: the notifier Boxcar and the Twitter app also each have to provide a basic browser. A good platform is about interoperability.

Good luck with iOS. I'd also like to take the opportunity to wish your relative the best possible quality of life. :)
  • Clytie,

I'm sorry there isn't a better solution for you at this time, and I share your dream for a future iOS which allows greater interoperability between apps. Specifically, you mentioned 1Password, Boxcar and Twitter, but I'm sure you could list several others. I use a plethora of apps which I would love for 1P Pro to be allowed to fill and submit usernames and passwords...banking apps are a big one for me.

Although I do understand the security value of running apps in separate "sandboxes", the price for this additional security comes in the form of decreased application functionality. Although it is hard to remember, the iPad is still a very young device. Only recently have native iPad versions of some of my favorite apps been released in iTunes. As more people and institutions begin to use the device for more than just a cool toy, I suspect Apple will receive a deluge of requests for the added types of functionality that you wish you had now. Apple is known for telling the market what it needs, but when the outcry is loud enough, they do listen and respond. I'm guessing that as we move away from primarily a desktop user base toward primarily a mobile user base, the iOS will morph along with us.

In the interim, I hope you will be able to advantage of AgileBits' attempts to find solutions that allow for the greatest user experience with the least amount distractions. With regards to my family member, who absolutely desires to use the iPad as his sole device, I installed 1Password's desktop application and set up Dropbox syncing with his iPad device. For those times when he creates a new login on his iPad, he creates a Secure Note with the information. About once per week, he does have to use his desktop computer for some task or another. During this time, he launches the 1P app and creates new logins using the info that was automatically synced via Dropbox. Once he's done, the new logins are already waiting for him on his iPad. This method is easier for him than using the workaround I mentioned in my last post. Still not optimal, but it may be easier for you if you are required to access your desktop/laptop every now and then.

Thanks for the kind words regarding 1P Pro. I know the devs have tried very hard to provide the best user experience and functionality given the current iOS interoperability limitations.

In addition, thank you for the best wishes for my relative. Quality of life is something we often take for granted, but I'm sure you do not. Aside from Apple suddenly releasing an API for hooking into Mobile Safari, please offer any suggestions you may have that would help make 1Password a better/easier to use product for you. Likely, your situation is not as unique as some would believe. For one, I know it's not.

Thank you for taking the time to offer your suggestions.

Best wishes,

Brandt
  • jasmith001
    jasmith001
    Community Member
    +1 for the SPG on the iPad.

I find myself using my iPad for more and more things, and that includes setting up new accounts on services. The lack of a SPG is leading me to either create strong passwords myself by typing random stuff on the keyboard (a pain, esp. since numbers and symbols are not easily accessed) creating non-strong passwords and trying to remember to update them later on my Mac (dumb, but convenience wins out sometimes).
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    +1 for the SPG on the iPad.

Agreed! I will pass your vote along to the developers. This will definitely be a handy feature for both of us (and everyone else in this thread).
  • Thom Brooks
    Thom Brooks
    Community Member
    Has there been any progress on this feature? Did it get included in the UI, and I'm just missing it?

I think we are coming up on a year since my last post. I had almost forgotten I'd posted, it'd been so long.

With the success of this product and the ever-expanding community of iOS programmers out there, it's hard to believe that this omission could still be due to a 'scarcity of resources' issue.

Even if it looked horrible, I wouldn't care, as long as it worked. It's more important to me to just have access to the history of generated passwords.

Thanks!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for following up, Thom. I agree that it would be useful. It is not as convenient to create an "Account" item and use the password generator there as it would be if it was available throughout the app. We haven't been sitting still, though, I promise. :) There have just been other features that have taken priority in the intervening months:
    • Support for OS X Lion
    • Support for Safari 5.1
    • Added 1Password to the Mac App Store
    • Google Chrome 12, 13, 14, and 15
    • Firefox 6, 7, and 8. And 9 is almost here!
    • iPhone and iPad updates to support iOS 5
    • Safari support on Windows (in beta)
    • iCloud. Woops! Wrong list; this isn't ready yet...

A widely available password generator on the iPad is still on our radar, but you are correct. It has not received the love we wish we could give it just yet. To put it in perspective, no one has asked about this since June. Whereas, the above list has been top priority for nearly all of our customers. We're working hard, and I apologize if the above list does not contain the feature you are looking for. Thanks for letting us know it is still important for you. I will nudge the developers on this on your behalf. :)
  • dlg
    dlg
    Community Member
    Well, +1 for me. Travel almost exclusively with my iPad now, and having crippled functionality is cramping my style.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the feedback!
  • benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited December 2011
    If 1P/Pro owners could load both 1Password and 1Password HD on their iPads, then they could have the functionality of the iPhone version when they need it and the sweetness of the iPad version when they don't.

As things stand now, 1Password owners with iPads are better off in some ways than are 1P/Pro owners, and that just don't seem right.
  • Carl
    Carl
    Community Member
    Even without adding the secure password generator to the iPad app, it would be nice if it would at least display the generated passwords that are already stored in the agilekeychain.

Am I missing something in this regard?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Unfortunately, the only thing you are missing is that feature, Carl. As you know, we don't pre-announce products or features, but this is something we are definitely keen to add: both generation (beyond what is already available for "Account" items) and display.
  • benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    I find the inability to view generated passwords on my Palm to be annoying. It obviously makes zero sense for Agile to enhance 1Password.prc at this point, but I hope to be shifting to iOS soon so I will add my +1 here.
This discussion has been closed.