1Password 6 and subscription

minim_cr
minim_cr
Community Member
edited August 2020 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hi - apologies if this if covered elsewhere I couldn't find it. I am using an ancient and decrepit MacBook Pro (7 years old, running El Capitan and can't upgrade the OS any further) and I've been trialling 1Password with version 6. I can't run version 7, but when I go to pay for v6 (because I want to be able to sync across my devices) I get an error in the popup window which just says "inaccessible" in a fixed-width font. I started the subscription process through the 1Password website but it started asking for a Master Password - which of course I already have set up in my trial install, so I thought I should just check - is it possible to set up a subscription using v6? and if so, how do I approach that so that the items I have already entered on my computer will be synced with the subscription account?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @minim_cr

It is currently possible to use 1Password 6 (v6.6 or later currently) with a membership, however that may change. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. 1Password 6 has been retired and hasn't been updated for over 2 years, and the same is also true of macOS 10.11. We're not financial advisors, and I know these devices are expensive, but if the device is old enough that it will no longer run the latest operating system it may be time to start planning for a newer model. As things continue to evolve around the now retired v6 it will be less and less practical to continue using it. For example, Safari 13 uses an all new extension framework, and as such will not work with v6.
    I realize that probably isn't what you were hoping to hear, but that's the best advise I can give considering the position I sit in. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Sorry - I see you asked another question as well which I failed to answer. For migration, I would suggest moving your items from the Primary vault to the Personal vault, once you add your account to 1Password 6, and then delete the Primary vault.

Ben

• minim_cr
    minim_cr
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben. It's actually a more positive response than I'd been expecting - at least it's not just a blanket no! And I totally agree with running the latest OS, etc but unfortunately with uni fees to pay and no work before January (you know the drill, I'm sure!), a new computer has moved from the savings list to the fantasy-land-unicorn-rides list... If 6 stops being supported for the subscription (I do understand why that might be necessary), I'm guessing I could still use the web-based version until I can upgrade my hardware? would the browser plugins still work or do they need a local install to function? Ta! Caitlin.

• 1Password X would work so long as your Mac is able to install the latest version of your chosen browser, @minim_cr, but there is one exception there and that's Safari. While we're working on bringing a 1Password X-like experience to Safari with the introduction on the inline menu in beta right now for 1Password 7, one way in which Safari remains unique for the moment is that filling flat-out requires the desktop app. If you don't use Safari, great! You can learn about 1Password X here:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

And, heck you might even like it better than 1Password 6 and decide to use it now. If you do use Safari, there is no current way to save and fill there without a desktop app, but who knows what the future holds. :chuffed:

• minim_cr
    minim_cr
    Community Member

Heh. It's been so long since I even tried Safari that I'd completely forgotten about it! Strictly a Chrome/Firefox house over here. Thanks for this, I'll have a little explore! C

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @minim_cr, thank you for the update! Let us know what you think :)

This discussion has been closed.